Sapelo Island Hunters (Tips For The Ignorant )

Swampfoxoutdoors

Me and my friend are very interested in going to Sapelo island to do a little hog hunting. We are both from north Georgia and really can’t go down their and scope it out and speak to people about where and when is it legal to hunt. So I have a few questions?

When can one hunt on the island for Hogs?

I have hear talk of a sign in sheet how many spaces are open on it for hunting on the island?

What type of weapons are ok to use?

How much does it cost to camp on the island?

Does the camp ground have running water and bathrooms?

I understand there is a ferry involved to access the island how often does it cross to the island and how much does it cost?

I understand that the hunt area is a great distance from the camp area so I was thinking about taking our bikes to travel around on the island. So this leads to my question can you bring a bike on the ferry? And if so, is their a space or weight limit on how much gear you can bring on the ferry?

I understand there is a general store on the island, how well is it stocked? Food, drinks, ice etc..

And any information that I need to know that will help us have a enjoyable experience please let me know. Items we need or don’t need to bring stuff of that nature. Places to see while on the island. Areas that are good for hog hunting.

35 Whelen

■ SAPELO ISLAND WMA
9,000 acres • 912.262.3173

DEER Archery Either Sex/North End: Sept.
10-Oct. 4, Oct. 9-18, Dec. 5-Jan. 15 S; q
Either Sex/South End: Nov. 3-5, Dec. 1-3;
Quota 125 C; Dec. 5-Jan. 15 S. Maps of
open hunting areas available at the Sapelo
WMA Sign-In kiosks, Brunswick DNR
office, and gohuntgeorgia.com. Primitive
q Either Sex: Oct. 6-8; Quota 125 C.
Firearms q Either Sex: Oct. 20-22, Nov.
17-19; Quota 125 C.

SMALL GAME Aug. 15-Oct. 4, Oct. 23-Nov.
1, Nov. 6-15, Nov. 20-28, Dec. 4-Feb. 29.
Furbearer dog training allowed (see page 34).

FERAL HOG See page 34. Special Hog Hunts:
Mar. 1-May 15 S. Hunters must wear at
least 500 square inches of hunter orange
as an outer garment above the waist. No
dogs allowed.

SPECIAL REGS Reservations for transportation on state boat for Check-In hunts
must be made through the Sapelo Island
Visitor Center (912) 437-3224. No reservations will be accepted until you receive
your selection notice; Visitor Center Hours:
Tues.-Fri. 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Sat. 8:00
a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Closed Sunday & Monday. Stream anchorage may be required
for hunters using their own boats. Hunter
access is allowed only at Moses Hammock Dock at head of Duplin River. No motorized vehicles allowed on island. Hunters
may Check-In starting at 9:00 a.m. EST
one day prior to hunt. Camps must be removed by 12 noon on the day following each hunt. Departures and returns from
deer hunting must be made from Moses
Hammock campsite. Hunters are required
to stay outside the boundaries of the safety
zones. Hunting is restricted to the north
end of Greater Sapelo Island and Little
Sapelo Island unless otherwise indicated.
Ferry Restrictions There is limited space
on the ferry, so please limit the amount and
size of your gear; propane fuel only; Guns
must be unloaded and cased for transport
on ferry; No folding chairs or tables, ladder
stands, bicycles, or excessively large boxes;
Climbing stands are OK; Coolers are limited to one 48 qt. per guest or one 96 qt.
per two guests.

DIRECTIONS From Savannah Take I-95 south
to Exit 58; turn left on GA HWY 57; go 1
mile to flashing light; continue straight on
HWY 99, go 9.1 mi. to Landing Rd. (in
Meridian); turn left and proceed to Sapelo
Island Visitors Center.

Swampfoxoutdoors

I'm assuming that was all copied and pasted thanks for the info but Id like to have some information from people that have been down their many times times. I hear that the space requirements on the ferry are really not that strict as far as bikes, coolers and stands go. If any one can confirm this it would be greatly appreciated, along with my other questions also.

Reactions: K80

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I went on a deer hunt this past season. You are only allowed to ride the ferry during quota hunts. while i was there talking to a few guys, they told me that when they come on non quota hunts, they would contact one of the locals, they can put ypou on the list as a guest to ride the ferry for $1, they will then pick you up and will either take you to camp and rent you a truck, or some actually have trailors you can rent while there also, instead of camping. there are several options, if you have your own boat, there is a dock at the camp site, if you call the office they can give you numbers of people who wll pick you up and take you to the island. as for camping and hunting, all you really have to do is cross over the bridge, and you can hunt, although the place is 9,000 acres. they have runnng water and a great bathhouse,and power, but it is powered by a generator, and I think they only run it during quota hunts, not sure if they run it during hogf hunts or not. there is no cost to camp at the campsite, as for the store not real sure, i nevre saw it, but i also didnt explore the island, just the woods. lol at the campsite, the is a corkboard with numbers of locals that will bring you about anything you need, just expect to pay for it. Not sure if I covered everything or not. I have never been for the hog hunt so I am not sure how it works out. Good Luck!!

tail_slider3d

I hunted the quota last year. Before you go read some of the many items needed threads. Bikes would be ok but its real sandy. I would hire a local to drive me around.

Cavalry Scout

Been down there a bunch times around the 1st week of bow season. We normally stay with a local guy in one of his trailers. You can camp way up north. You can ride across on the ferry, get somone like Victor to pick up you up and take you to camp. You can coordinate with them to bring you ice and to take you back to the ferry when your ready to leave. Hogs are just like anywhere else, find the food and they will come thru sooner or later. Lots of walking if you dont have a vehicle, only locals can drive north of Dog Patch Rd. Fun hunt! Really unique experience.

brian lee

the store is not really stocked just drinks,snacks & ice. did hear a local say he shot a hog that was really close to being 600lb plus.he shot it in the head several times & it just walked off.take ur snake chaps bc the diamond backs are there & get big.it is very sandy so riding a bike will be more of a job than the hunting if u plan to go very far.definitely get with a local bc they kinda handle things on their own there.so make sure uyou know where you are at all times

ridgerunner404

Maybe this can help you. I have been going for over 20 years now, I started going when it was a 4 day hunt. Anyway I look forward to hunting there as much as possible, I havent missed many years maybe 4 or 5 out of over 20 something. It is a great hunt It is different. I take my own boat over as far as I am concerned thats the only way to go. Plan on taking everything you need for the week if you get someone to bring you something you will pay dearly for it, EXAMPLE, I had a friend that needed 5 gal of gas to get back to the boat ramp they charged him like $35 or $40 I forget exactly but it was way high. I ran out of Ice 1 year and got charged $10 for 2 bags of half melted Ice but it was a have to need. I have never rode the ferry heard some horror stories about peoples things getting broke and thrown around, gun sights getting knocked off, and there is no shooting range there.Reason is because all the hunters help all the hunters load and unload its like a bucket line. Cost is not bad if you go in your own boat and much easier I think.When you get there and get set up it is like nothing else. BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING, Wheather, any medical needs you have or you think you might need, PLENTY of bug spray, Oh yes you need a tarp big enought to cover your camp or you may get wet, make sure you have what you need to secure your tent and tarps for high winds just incase ,THEY WILL COME. Bunges help a lot to take the stress off of high gust. Bottom line is to prepare yourself for what you think you would need to stay a week on a deserted Island and you will be fine. The less you have to depend on someone else the better off you will be trust me. I have to say overall everyone is very nice and helpfull, there are some that show up and whine about how small the deer are, so if you expect a trophy you will be dissapointed highly, but on the other hand they do have monster hogs there I have seen plenty over 500# it is just a meat hunt and an adventure for us. Depending on when you go dont forget your fishing pole might get some reds or specks. I have seen a lot of people go unprepared and were miserable, If it dosent have the adventure feel to it instead of a chore feel then you may not have fun. I allways plan 2 months out for this 1 trip right down to the food menu for each day so we dont overpack. There is an art to the madness,,lol,,,,BUT if you do it right it will be one of the hunts of a lifetime because getting there is after all half the fun. Buy you 1 or 2 of the 50 gal plastic garbage cans on wheels and try to pack everything in there you can you will be glad you did. Duct tape them shut to water proof them. You should be able to pack everything in them you will need except your guns and coolers. 1 can per person if you do it right.

Last edited:

medic1

I've been several times in the last few years. It is an unique place to hunt. Best if you can take your own boat if you're going to camp. If you stay in a trailer, you won't need to take near as much gear. Contact one of the locals concerning lodging and a truck. Here's two: Julius Bailey @ 912-485-2206 & George Walker @ 912-482-2270. Listen close. They have gullah-geechie accents.

JonathonJEB

Also if you take your own boat do you dock right at the hunter camp ground?

Darien1

I've gone on the quota hunts several times and also parent child hunts as well as several non quota hunts. I will tell you this about hogs. Of all the times I have been there, I have never seen a hog killed by anyone, never heard of anyone actually seeing one and I have never seen a track or any hog sign there either. I have heard tales of hogs on other parts of the island but like I said just never seen one or any sign of one. If I were going for hogs I'd go to Altamaha WMA in the area near Cox in McIntosh County. Lots more pigs there.

ridgerunner404

Sapelo is tore up with hogs,,, sign everywhere if you have never been it is a great adventure, deer not big, but have seen plenty of 200 to 500# hogs taken over the years, a lot of smaller ones too.

USMC81

The last quota hunt one of the guys shot a nice sow and another smaller one. I believe he hunted around #10 on the map at the camp ground.

Mark R

seen and killed several hogs on sapelo .went on the 2011 hunt and got really sick with the flu .local store had no meds so i was gonna have to leave but the game wardens found some and saved the hunt for me . great guys . gear up for a deserted island and be prepared for a good hunt .

oldfatbubba

Apologies for resurecting an old thread but, can someone send me a copy of the map that shows the subdivisions to the individual hunting areas on Sapelo?

Latest posts