season question????

mcfay

Im looking at the seasons posted and I want to make sure I am reading right... For Chatahoochee, Chesatee, Warwoman and Swallow Creek, gun bear season is in the week of Thanksgiving??????

My son and I are from Southeast GA and we are thinking on doing our yearly trip up that way to hunt. We dont expect anything but we do put our time in to try and be successful. The bear thing is all new so Im trying to do my homework. Thanks

35 Whelen

Chattahoochee - Nov. 18-26 and Dec. 12-15
Chestatee - Nov. 15-19, Dec. 6-10, Dec. 26-Jan. 1
Warwoman - Nov. 9-12 and Nov. 30-Dec. 3
Swallow Creek - Nov. 16-19, Dec. 7-10, Dec. 26-Jan. 1

chrislibby88

National forest (almost)follows state seasons. You won’t be restricted to WMA bonus hunts, and you can likely find lower pressure areas. Chestatee and Chatahoochee WMA both had rifle and then dog hunts at the end of Sept. The bear hunting on those two is worse after that, as many bears are killed, ran off, or nocturnal after that, but they may be more relaxed or moved back in by late Nov.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

National Forest regulations are close but not exactly like state seasons. For example, firearms season for bear ends January 1st, then archery only from January 2-14.
Deer regulations/seasons are also different than state, especially for Antlerless. Buck only East of I-75. Firearms ends January 1st.

chrislibby88

National Forest regulations are close but not exactly like state seasons. For example, firearms season for bear ends January 1st, then archery only from January 2-14.
Deer regulations/seasons are also different than state, especially for Antlerless. Buck only East of I-75. Firearms ends January 1st.
Thanks for the correction.

Mattval

This is disappointing as I was looking forward to that Sep Bear Season.

35 Whelen

Op was asking about Thanksgiving week hunt in 2023. Mattval looking for September hunts in 2024.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Yeah if people don't know how to read or understand the regs then we don't need to be name dropping and burning spots. Why exploit our resources that are already limited and getting more crowded every year.

Yeah if people don't know how to read or understand the regs then we don't need to be name dropping and burning spots. Why exploit our resources that are already limited and getting more crowded every year.
Main reason I quit following this forum for the most part. I just get mad watching people spill their guts out about everything the rest of us have figured out on our own. Some things are just better said in private, not on a forum with thousands of other people reading

Thetrooper

There are bears in every WMA and national forest land in north GA. More importantly there are bears in every Appalachian state. When it comes to hunting bear without dogs or bait you can do this in any Appalachian state that has a bear season. No offense but there is nothing special about GA. I'm NOT a fan of hound hunting but the reality of the matter is it doesn't really impact a still hunters success.

There is a misconception I think a lot of people have been led to believe that GA is the last place you can still hunt bears with success because all the other states are overran with hounds. "Bears go nocturnal once they let the hounds loose" It's just not true. In many states you will find far higher bear numbers and greater success rates still hunting than you would in GA.

I hunted another Appalachian state last year killed a 6' bear on day one and hunted another area several weeks later 100+ miles away that I passed on 2 different bears and saw 3 cubs in a single day. I hunted both of these public lands raw having never been there and on the opening day of hound seasons. Don't believe that hound hype the rest of the Appalachians are loaded with bears all the way up to the northeast and beyond. Once again I don't hunt with hounds I'm not particularly fond of hunting with hounds. I've hunted GA 4 years for bears and I'm here to say there are plenty of other places that will challenge or demolish GA on a still hunt. I have seen more bear sign in other states in a couple hours than I have in my whole career of GA bear hunting.

Not trying to take a dump on GA I love hunting here and have killed 3 in GA so far but if you plan a September or October hunt while the bears are active anywhere in the Appalachians with a little homework you should be able to get a kill on foot.

ddd-shooter

Main reason I quit following this forum for the most part. I just get mad watching people spill their guts out about everything the rest of us have figured out on our own. Some things are just better said in private, not on a forum with thousands of other people reading
I’m a big fan of not sharing too much info.
That said, I’d bet all the Facebook/social media stuff drives more bumbling around the mountains looking for bears than gon could ever do.

KentuckyHeadhunter

That said, I’d bet all the Facebook/social media stuff drives more bumbling around the mountains looking for bears than gon could ever do.
I respectfully disagree. Most Google searches link to this forum. The main one on FB is highly moderated and when someone name drops it gets deleted quickly. I know those mods and they don't mess around with spot burning. The best bear hunters in GA are the ones who have kept their mouths shut. For that I am grateful.

splatek

UAEC
I respectfully disagree. Most Google searches link to this forum. The main one on FB is highly moderated and when someone name drops it gets deleted quickly. I know those mods and they don't mess around with spot burning. The best bear hunters in GA are the ones who have kept their mouths shut. For that I am grateful.

If keeping your mouth shut was the key to being a great bear hunter it ain't working for me! ;)

Just kidding, I agree completely.

The truth is as @jbogg always tells me, technology ain't going anywhere so we can sit around and _______ about it or use it to our advantage. I don't blame new hunters for scouring the interwebs to learn intel, but I try not to share too much and when I do you can rest assured it's not where I was actually hunting. I send all the people that ask me for bear hunting advice (n=0) to look for John's truck and follow him to the good spots. He keeps changing cars on us though so tough challenge.

The facebook group talks about HOW to find bears, not WHERE to go. The group is moderated in a way that prevents that from happening. But I can get on google right now and see posts from 2013 walking you step by step on how to get to a honey hole. One of the forum members here told me he ran a trail cam in that spot recently and picked up 11 different hunters

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The facebook group talks about HOW to find bears, not WHERE to go. The group is moderated in a way that prevents that from happening. But I can get on google right now and see posts from 2013 walking you step by step on how to get to a honey hole. One of the forum members here told me he ran a trail cam in that spot recently and picked up 11 different hunters
Yes, and I try to limit hotspotting on here as much as is prudent.

Robust Redhorse

The easiest, and probably most productive thing folks can do is to call the DNR Regional Biologist for the area you are thinking about hunting.

These folks know where the animals are, know how to hunt them, love to give advise, talk hunting, and love for people to kill bears.

I'm already talking to biologists in Wyoming and New Mexico for this coming fall.

They are there to manage animal populations and help provide successful hunting experiences.

I know many GA DNR Biologists.

I don't know one who won't bend over backwards to help a hunter be successful.