Seminole Co. Ramblings

twtabb

Seen mostly boat riders up the creek today. One guy bass fishing but he was in small Jon boat so probably not tournament fishing.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Seen mostly boat riders up the creek today. One guy bass fishing but he was in small Jon boat so probably not tournament fishing.
Probably caught beyond his bracket.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Cruised from Cypress Pond to Grassy Pond yesterday. Trees still laying out in the canals from Hurricane Michael of 2018. Corp doesn't clean up anything. Some buoys are out of place, and some channel markers are too far apart out in the main lake. Makes it easy to wander left or right and hit a stump that can't be seen. Tried catfish in Hickory pond, they weren't biting.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Cruised from Cypress Pond to Grassy Pond yesterday. Trees still laying out in the canals from Hurricane Michael of 2018. Corp doesn't clean up anything. Some buoys are out of place, and some channel markers are too far apart out in the main lake. Makes it easy to wander left or right and hit a stump that can't be seen. Tried catfish in Hickory pond, they weren't biting.
If good jobs were as scarce as they were after Vietnam folks would do their jobs. When they don’t have to work, they won’t.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
If good jobs were as scarce as they were after Vietnam folks would do their jobs. When they don’t have to work, they won’t.
True, I'm seeing hiring signs everywhere.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole is coming up slowly, but still low. Must be some water coming down the rivers. Pop up showers keep me from going fishing. There's been thunder and lightening today with a huge rain going through Bainbridge, and one went up the Hootch.

twtabb

I was on lake nottley last week. Was wondering how much Seminole would benefit from a serious draw down during the winter. They have done that up there for what ever reasons but I think it would greatly benefit us down here with the grass. I wish they would try it just one winter on some days we’re had freezing temps.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm the outdoor columnist for the Donalsonville news. for years I've begged for a draw down during winters coldest times and they never have. In fact, during winter the Corp keeps the lake high and low in the summer. That's why we have the weed problems Seminole has. Right now, the lake is down about a foot from the winter level. Hydrilla has benefitted from the exposure and is forming mats all over the lake. A boat can't go through that mess, plus it hides submerged stumps. One thing having huge areas of the lake covered with hydrilla and cattails does, is saves lots of fish. Because you can't get to them. Duck hunters and bass tournament fishermen love the hydrilla. Local people who love to fish for fish to eat don't. I don't like chemical spraying, all that dead grass goes to the bottom and rots. A draw down would expose the invasive weeds to the cold, no chemicals, and if in the air will dry out and go to almost nothing. 37500 acres, bet a third of that is covered with weeds now.

buckmanmike

Son, obviously the corp( if thats who owns the lake), is not controlling lake levels for the best fishing/recreation use. What use are they changing the levels for? Are these uses the original intent when impounded?
Im not trying to be arguemenative, just seeking the facts.
Hope you can enjoy.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree, Corp doesn't do anything for recreational use that I can see. I have no idea what their agenda really is. The endangered Sturgeon?, Apalachicola oysters? etc.. But it doesn't have recreational use in mind. Since hurricane Michael of 2018, channels have not been cleared. buoys not replaced, channel markers are missing, carp gates were repaired immediately after the hurricane, but are still not in service. Each year money is promised for the lake, then it's used for something else. I hear lots of grumbling from locals, believe me. Lake hydrilla conditions are bad now, and will be worse by the end of August. Outboards are actually mowing the channels.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree, Corp doesn't do anything for recreational use that I can see. I have no idea what their agenda really is. The endangered Sturgeon?, Apalachicola oysters? etc.. But it doesn't have recreational use in mind. Since hurricane Michael of 2018, channels have not been cleared. buoys not replaced, channel markers are missing, carp gates were repaired immediately after the hurricane, but are still not in service. Each year money is promised for the lake, then it's used for something else. I hear lots of grumbling from locals, believe me. Lake hydrilla conditions are bad now, and will be worse by the end of August. Outboards are actually mowing the channels.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I haven't been very active here or in the outdoors. My wife Gloria of 26 years began feeling bad couple years ago, and she passed Saturday August the 27th. She had lung cancer and radiation. After radiation, she only lasted one year. Hopefully with time, I can get back outdoors, on the lake and half way feel normal again. We all know that we have to go through such, but that doesn't make it any easier. Only time eases the pain in our minds, but we never forget our love ones, and friends who pass. She was my fishing buddy on Lake Seminole for many years.

Attachments

• Gloria and shellcracker.jpg
    Gloria and shellcracker.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 44

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I haven't been very active here or in the outdoors. My wife Gloria of 26 years began feeling bad couple years ago, and she passed Saturday August the 27th. She had lung cancer and radiation. After radiation, she only lasted one year. Hopefully with time, I can get back outdoors, on the lake and half way feel normal again. We all know that we have to go through such, but that doesn't make it any easier. Only time eases the pain in our minds, but we never forget our love ones, and friends who pass. She was my fishing buddy on Lake Seminole for many years.
So sorry to hear
Of your loss, praying for peace for you

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I`m sorry to hear that, Son. My condolences.