Seminole Co. Ramblings

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Noticed Lake Seminole has gone down to the low mark again. Water was slightly stained, clearing up nicely. Plenty boat traffic this weekend so I stayed off the water,.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not as much boat traffic on lake Seminole as there usually is on holidays. Remember those who never made it home. Losing so many good people definitely has something to do with the changing of our society.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Haven't checked the lake yesterday or today. Dealing with a kidney stone. Worse darn pain in the world. I have those darn things now and then. Had to busted up 7 years ago in Dothan. a 12mm and a 13mm. Hope I can pass this one without going in the hospital. Great neighbors are checking on me, and bringing me gatorade. These stones will dehydrate a person fast as the pain brings on sweats. Y'all say a little prayer for me it you will.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
No pain yet today, don't think i've passed the stone though. Sure would like to go fishing, Lake Seminole is low again, but clear in most places. Slightly stained out in the big lake. Bream are bedding. Catfish were found couple days ago in 15 to 20 feet of water out in front of Spooner field. Shellcrackers were caught on sandy bottoms near the islands in about 6 feet of water along grass edges.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What worked best for channel cats was hotdog pieces soaked in strawberry jello overnight. Just sprinkle the Jello crystals over the hotdog pieces in a ziploc. The hot dogs beat worms and liver. I caught ten cats before going after shellcrackers. Some went 5 to 6 pounds.

Attachments

• catfish 29 may .jpeg
    catfish 29 may .jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 10

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Big catfish, I fillet, cut into two finger size pieces. Remove all fatty tissue and red lateral line. Makes for better eating, better taste.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Passed this kidney stone this morning at 8:37. I'm going to use it for a boat anchor. Relief finally comes.

Attachments

• Kidney stone b.jpg
    Kidney stone b.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 22

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole is up about 6 inches from what it was yesterday

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lake Seminole remains low, Corp probably trying to give the hydrilla all the help they can. Low water and a hot summer promotes growth. We need this low water condition during winter, and high water in the summer for best results against the grass. Two of us went out and caught 12 large channel cats about a week ago. Cleaned up to 25 pounds of fillets and backbones.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole remains low. Mats of hydrilla have already taken over many areas. Even though this is bad for getting around it has it's good side. With huge areas covered with mats so thick we can't fish it allows more fish to live long enough to reach larger sizes than open water does. We're catching large shellcrackers and catfish on the average than we did before. Not uncommon to catch shellcrackers weighing 2 pounds or more today.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
If Lake Seminole gets any lower, I'll need mud grips on my pontoon boat. Fish Pond drain channel to Lewis Pond is covered with hydrilla, just a boat trail where folks have been chewing it up. It's getting bad all over the lake, but on the good side. We can now see the stumps.

Attachments

• boat today .jpeg
    boat today .jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 20

Bear10

I talked to a guy at the gas station this week, and he said they’re still catching speckled perch in 25-30’ of water around structure in lake Seminole.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I talked to a guy at the gas station this week, and he said they’re still catching speckled perch in 25-30’ of water around structure in lake Seminole.
I've seen folks out there chasing specks. Looks like they follow the shad around.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole id down about one foot from what it was all winter. At 37,500 acres of water, that's a lot of water gone. When I step down on my pontoon boat, it doesn't move, must be sitting on bottom at least the front half. To go out to the main lake from Turkey or Cypress Pond, it would mean mowing the channels with the outboard.

Attachments

• boatexercise.jpg
    boatexercise.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 15

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Independence weekend was not as busy as in past years on Seminole. The economy must be having an effect on folks, travel, fuel etc. but there were a few boats out there, mostly cruising, not many fishing. lake is down over a foot from normal. The good side of that is, we can see the stumps now. Bad side, the grass is thick in most channels.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Been raining off and on at lake Seminole for the last couple days, raining again this morning. Jul, 15th.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seminole has come up about six inches from yesterday, still low. Reynolds landing is packed, must be a tournament going on.