Setup n Bow lessons near Acworth

James12

Tell them you’ll pay them to watch you shoot a few times and give you pointers. It’ll change your approach no doubt

It’s $65 for half hour there for lessons… I agree with you to at least ask to shoot a couple in case they need to make a few adjustments!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Tell them you’ll pay them to watch you shoot a few times and give you pointers. It’ll change your approach no doubt
Ok, so I didn’t shoot any arrows, but they went overboard trying to get me in a good anchor position, so they could line up the peep. We changed the DL Several times and I bet I was there at least a half an hour! All they were supposed to do is line up my peep! 3 years of shooting a bow like I have been, has built a strong foundation of bad habits! I pulled back and let down countless times as both men in the shop were working with me…….PATIENTLY!!
Getting my string on my nose may not happen due to some physical issues. But, we settled on the best position we could for now. I was very pleased and impressed with guys at Backwoods Bowstrings and I inquired about lessons while I was there too……..I just had a free lesson already!
I was using my wrist release the whole time I was there and it was certainly a struggle getting it to anchor against my jaw and fat face……..I could not do what both of those guys were effortlessly doing the correct way.
When I got home I slung an arrow or two trying to NOT hold the bottom of my release. I struggled. Then I grabbed my thumb release to see how it felt. My heart skipped a beat as I drew back and without any obvious(to me) manipulation, everything lined up! I shot a few arrows with the thumb release and was overjoyed with the way things were lining up, literally. I confidently backed up from 10 to 35 yards in 5 yard increments and slung a few more arrows.
WHAT A GREAT DAY!

ddd-shooter

Ok, so I didn’t shoot any arrows, but they went overboard trying to get me in a good anchor position, so they could line up the peep. We changed the DL Several times and I bet I was there at least a half an hour! All they were supposed to do is line up my peep! 3 years of shooting a bow like I have been, has built a strong foundation of bad habits! I pulled back and let down countless times as both men in the shop were working with me…….PATIENTLY!!
Getting my string on my nose may not happen due to some physical issues. But, we settled on the best position we could for now. I was very pleased and impressed with guys at Backwoods Bowstrings and I inquired about lessons while I was there too……..I just had a free lesson already!
I was using my wrist release the whole time I was there and it was certainly a struggle getting it to anchor against my jaw and fat face……..I could not do what both of those guys were effortlessly doing the correct way.
When I got home I slung an arrow or two trying to NOT hold the bottom of my release. I struggled. Then I grabbed my thumb release to see how it felt. My heart skipped a beat as I drew back and without any obvious(to me) manipulation, everything lined up! I shot a few arrows with the thumb release and was overjoyed with the way things were lining up, literally. I confidently backed up from 10 to 35 yards in 5 yard increments and slung a few more arrows.
WHAT A GREAT DAY!
Great news. Bad habits are hard to break. I have a few but I just live with them.
If you can’t get your nose to the string even with the thumb release, I highly recommend a kisser button of some sort. That way you have another way to verify your anchor

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Great news. Bad habits are hard to break. I have a few but I just live with them.
If you can’t get your nose to the string even with the thumb release, I highly recommend a kisser button of some sort. That way you have another way to verify your anchor
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! My lip actually touches and as I hold back, I’m thinking I need a button right there! Right now I’m just amazed how things are lining up like never before. I’m pretty sure my wrist is bent even with the thumb release, but I’m gonna go with it. I have another release on the way…..I always have a backup in my pack anyway.
Once I get strong enough to tighten my limbs up again, I’ll build some arrows. Then I’ll really get distances dialed in and sling some of my new broadheads…….I’lol be getting a new target this week too!

Bubba_1122

Once I get strong enough to tighten my limbs up again, I’ll build some arrows. Then I’ll really get distances dialed in and sling some of my new broadheads…….I’lol be getting a new target this week too!
Pre-2017 I was pulling around 68# on a Hoyt. Injured my neck (was helping folks w tree clean up post Irma). Couldn’t pull bow at all. About lost use of left arm.

When started back shooting well after neck surgery was shooting a Triax at 45 #. 45 was a struggle. Have worked my way up to 59 or so and pretty happy where I’m at. Has taken a while to build strength in left arm. Happy to be there and at 67 y/o that’s prob where gonna be til head back down.

Stay smart and keep working. You’ll get there.

Bowyer29

If you don’t work on bows yourself, going to a bow shop and letting a pro set you and your bow up is the best thing you can do - it should be a law.

As for backwoods, I’ve been there before - nice guys - just don’t take your Mathews in there! They’re not fans of them.

As for Mitch’s archery in Canton, he’s the only person that will ever work on my bow so long as he’s in business. He’s always been so fair and honest with me too.
Me too. No problem with Mitch, ever. Well over 20 years now.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Me too. No problem with Mitch, ever. Well over 20 years now.
Great to hear this^^^ I can’t imagine a shop staying open if it were all bad. Thanks for chiming in Bowyer!

Hunter922

going to a bow shop and letting a pro set you and your bow up is the best thing you can do - it should be a law.

For hunting equipment and our 3D equipment I've been In most bow shops from Social circle to Franklin to Macon to Bowden, Douglasville and all in between. There are a few but not many that are a pleasure to deal with. Most seem to hate their job or have little to no customer skills..
It's like they would be happier if they had no bows to work on. Irritating to deal with some of these bow Teks..

sprewett

Dropped my crossbow off at Backyard today for new cables and a string. Immediately upon walking in the door I was treated like family. We were talking about hunting and fishing. It took me back to all my years of working at Camp's Sporting Goods in Dallas. My son and I both greatly enjoyed the environment. So long as the work matches the environment I will not go elsewhere.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
For hunting equipment and our 3D equipment I've been In most bow shops from Social circle to Franklin to Macon to Bowden, Douglasville and all in between. There are a few but not many that are a pleasure to deal with. Most seem to hate their job or have little to no customer skills..
It's like they would be happier if they had no bows to work on. Irritating to deal with some of these bow Teks..
There are many walks in life where folks like that exist and I surely see my share. Folks often comment on my enthusiasm and great outlook at work. I do hope it rubs off and maybe puts a smile on a face. I love life and my job…..kind of feel sad for those who don’t.

feathersnantlers

Dropped my crossbow off at Backyard today for new cables and a string. Immediately upon walking in the door I was treated like family. We were talking about hunting and fishing. It took me back to all my years of working at Camp's Sporting Goods in Dallas. My son and I both greatly enjoyed the environment. So long as the work matches the environment I will not go elsewhere.
Just moved to Dallas in 2018. What happened to Camp's?

sprewett

Just moved to Dallas in 2018. What happened to Camp's?
Coleman Camp got in bad health sold store to Dennis Conway (which is who I worked for). Very successful many years super busy. There was a combination of things that put it out of business from my observation. I am not gonna name them. At that time the Bargain Barn in Jasper was ripping too and A LOT of folks stopped coming to camps and went there, which put the final nail in the coffin. After it was briefly shut down two guys opened back up. I believe it was called H&H outdoors. I only went in there once.
In Camps hay-day it was a hopping place! Had a lot of fun working there. Just my assumption is that small town stores such as that are far and few because of big boxes moving in.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Bow and bicycle techs..... Most of em are condescending as all get out. Just gotta chuckle about it, walk out, and go to a place like outdoor depot, Pop's, Sambow's.
No need to bash other companies to customers. Which a lot of em do. I have 3 bows now from 3 different brands and there's a reason I like each of em.