Siding problem

dbodkin

I had vinyl siding and a new deck built about 5 years ago. Just after that hard rain we had we saw a leak in the downstairs office. I have dropped ceilings so it was easy to see there were no pipes around to leak. What I saw was the header board is all wet and the water seeped in. The header board and the deck are bolted together and the siding goes down then meets the deck. The siding has a small channel that is where I assume water should travel. Should there also be some waterproof material between the deck and header board attachments. So as to keep water from running down the siding over and inside the boards??? What should I do to eliminate the leak/problem. I dont want to let it go for fear of rotting that untreated lumber.

TIA
Dave

ramblinrack

dave, the channel has an 1 1/2'' face on the backside that is usually sufficient to route any water to an exit point...IE...edge of the deck. from not seeing it, i would guess the channel probably has a slight gap and the water is seeping or blowing under it. i'd just get a good tube of clear silicone and seal the crack. this should take care of it unless it is gettin in somewhere higher. hope this helps...good luck.

dbodkin

Thanks Rack I'll look at that. Should there be some sort of weather strip or barrier between the deck and where it bolts into the house? Sort of an L shaped piece of tin I think I've seen that before. But I dont think it could be added now? :cry:

QuakerBoy

you can add it...but it'll take a lil work...maybe Rack will come up and do it for ya :bounce: