Skin/Feet Staph Infections

Jack Ryan

My dog has got infected feet and it's been at least a year long reoccuring problem. Also he gets staph skin infections and stinks to high heaven.

The same thing happened last year and I never did get one of his feet to look normal again even after about 3-4 months on antibiotic.

Those antibiotic pills are sky high, I just spent $40 for the vet to tell me what I already knew and another $59 for pills that will only last about 21 days.

I've been researching what I can find on the internet about it and it seems it's often caused when they itch and it allows the staph to get in to the skin. I guess it's the same with his feet. That is the info that lead me here and found the thread about the flea and tick treatment.

I guess I'm just looking for any info ya'll may think helpful. The vet is suggesting medicated shampoo and more antibiotics which I'm doing as well as getting him on regular flea and tick treatments now. I didn't notice unusual itching but he does look about half civilised now that he's had a good bath.

Any one have a discount cheap source for these prescription antibiotic pills?

T

tuffdawg

Check out this site and compare.

http://www.canadavet.com/index.cfm

There is a link on the middle of the left hand column for prescriptions. Check it out and see what happens.

Also, have you asked your vet about putting your dog on a round of steroids at the same time as the antibiotics? That will make a huge difference.

T

tuffdawg

Wanted to add that if your dog is on antibiotics frequently, then there is a possibility that he/she can have built up an immunity therefore is in need of a higher dosage.

Jack Ryan

No I never thought of steroids. You'd think when ya pay an "expert" the cost they want you wouldn't have to still diagnose yourself. I'm looking for a new vet.

T

tuffdawg

I didnt mean to turn you off to your vet. However if your dog has been diagnosed with staph, a sulfur drug treats the staph, antibiotic for the skin infection, and the steroids for inflammation and/or itching. I am not a vet, just been to one ALOT.

Jack Ryan

I didnt mean to turn you off to your vet. However if your dog has been diagnosed with staph, a sulfur drug treats the staph, antibiotic for the skin infection, and the steroids for inflammation and/or itching. I am not a vet, just been to one ALOT.

No, I've already been disappointed with this vet for a while.

I need to find one of the old timer vets who's been around to see more than just "the book". This is only the third vet I've ever used and the first two were both really good. No nonsense and plain simple treatments. It seems a vet who treats more than just pets get's a whole better/different attitude to what it takes to treat an animal. My current vet just does pets and wants to treat them like they are people. I swear it costs as much to take this dog to the doctor as it does for me to go to the doctor.

T

tuffdawg

I sure wish you luck in your search. Just make sure to ask them about the meds that I have told you about. :) good luck

pbyles

Ditto Steroids-
Cephalexin is a good antibiotic for Staph-
Benadryl for itching-
Pyoben Shampoo-

Clark_Kent

Yea, we always used cephalexin antibiotics, the benzoil peroxide based shampoos twice a week, and followed that by having the dog stand in a diluted white vineger solution. I guess that sounds kind of old wive's tale kind of thing, but it seemed to work. Was told alot of times, yeast infection sets in to further aggravate things, and the antibiotics aren't going to touch it, and bathing it twice a week further supports the warm moist environment thing...so walla, yeast show up. Since it's pretty easy to add that last step to the bathing situation, why not give it a try! Like a cup of vinegar to gallon of water.
Be sure to wash whatever bedding he's on at bath time too, to keep the chance of reinfecting with staph down.
Best of luck!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Ditto on steroids. I sthe dog kept in a pen? If so, you may want to sterilize the area really good. Staph can hang around.

mandolinman19977

I had problems with my right foot for years Dr kept giving me creams and it would get better than go right back I asked him to prescibe me Lamisil pills I had seen on tv 4 years now and it hasn't came back maybe you could get a prescription thru a people Dr to try . Also you can buy pennicillan at your local feed store that is much cheaper than pills from the vet.

Jack Ryan

Ditto Steroids-
Cephalexin is a good antibiotic for Staph-
Benadryl for itching-
Pyoben Shampoo-

Actually we just finished a round of this antibiotic and prednisone about a week ago.

So far so good. His one foot I think is permenantly scarred from the swelling and two of the pads have become one, but he seems pretty much normal so far.

I used the shampoo she gave me too and I just had him stand in a big plastic tub to wash him so he was standing in the medicated water the whole time. For a dog you can't keep out of the water he don't go for that bath thing too good.

Jack Ryan

I had problems with my right foot for years Dr kept giving me creams and it would get better than go right back I asked him to prescibe me Lamisil pills I had seen on tv 4 years now and it hasn't came back maybe you could get a prescription thru a people Dr to try . Also you can buy pennicillan at your local feed store that is much cheaper than pills from the vet.

Use bleach to get rid of those fungal infections. If bleach scares ya cut it 50/50 with water.

Just use an eye dropper and wet it down between yer toes and just put your socks on and go for the day. It'll be fixed up in just a couple days to a week at most.

pbyles

Also you can buy pennicillan at your local feed store that is much cheaper than pills from the vet.

Actually:

Most of what you buy at your local feed store is Penicillin G (Phi Pen G usually the name, at least thats the case around here)
AND tho it may work well in some cases...this is not one of them--

PENICILLIN
Most penicillins are active against gram-positive organisms. Both aerobic and anaerobic
bacteria may be susceptible, but there are many resistant organisms.

CEPHALEXIN
There are many types of cephalosporins available with various activities against gram-
positive and gram-negative
bacteria. Most do not have an anaerobic spectrum.

Cephalexin is a popular oral drug. It is usually effective against staph, strep, E. coli, Klebsiella, and Proteus while ineffective against Pseudomonas and anaerobes.

The most common bacteria involved in skin infections is Staph intermedius, so effective
antibiotics would kill Staph and have good skin distribution. Cefpodoxime, cephalexin,
Clavamox, and clindamycin are most commonly used in our hospital. Resistance can be
seen with clindamycin but is rare with the other drugs. Quinolones are also effective, but
generally are reserved for severe pyoderma (mixed infection) or if another infection is
present. The number one reason for treatment failure or recurrence is short duration. I
routinely treat skin infections for 21 days minimum, and never less than 14 days even if a
very mild problem. Some deep infections require continuous treatment for 6-8 weeks.

The primary treatment of superficial pyoderma is with appropriate antibiotics for ≥21 and preferably 30 days. All clinical lesions (except for complete regrowth of alopecic areas and resolution of hyperpigmented areas) should be resolved for at least 7 days before antibiotics are discontinued. Chronic, recurrent, or deep pyodermas typically require 8-12 wk or longer to resolve completely.
First-time bacterial pyoderma can be treated with empiric antibiotic therapy such as lincomycin, clindamycin, erythromycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim-sulfadiazine, chloramphenicol, cephalosporins, amoxicillin trihydrate-clavulanic acid, or ormetoprim-sulfadimethoxine.
Amoxicillin, penicillin, and tetracyline are inappropriate choices for treating superficial or deep pyodermas because they are ineffective in 90% of these cases. Fluoroquinolones should not be used for empiric therapy. Severe deep pyoderma, recurrent pyoderma, or first-time bacterial pyodermas that do not respond to therapy should be treated based on culture and sensitivity.

I have a pit bull that gets pyoderma at least once a year....(its common for pit bulls)....

The Cephalexin I usually get is only about $18 for a complete round-
Thats pretty cheap....your vet may be giving you something more expensive, or charging too much...you might want to check elsewhere-

The shampoo however is about $198 a gallon...(of course you don't need a gallon, but you get my point)

IT WILL NOT go away if you do not treat it completely.....it will continue to flare up-

pbyles

Also-

Make sure the shampoo is a benzoyl peroxide, chlorhexidine, chlorhexidine-ketoconazole, ethyl lactate, or triclosan.

And when you have a flare up you need to bath him 2-3 times a week....and it must sit on him for 10 minutes-

Medicated shampoos should be prediluted 1:2 to 1:4 depending on the shampoo....this will help with lathering, etc., PYOBEN is a very thick shampoo that does not lather well, and in my opinion smells as bad as the infection!!

If you have give Cephalexin several times the bacteria may have become immune...you may have to change

OK I'M DONE....i will shut up-

Jack Ryan

Actually:

Most of what you buy at your local feed store is Penicillin G (Phi Pen G usually the name, at least thats the case around here)
AND tho it may work well in some cases...this is not one of them--

PENICILLIN
Most penicillins are active against gram-positive organisms. Both aerobic and anaerobic
bacteria may be susceptible, but there are many resistant organisms.

CEPHALEXIN
There are many types of cephalosporins available with various activities against gram-
positive and gram-negative
bacteria. Most do not have an anaerobic spectrum.

Cephalexin is a popular oral drug. It is usually effective against staph, strep, E. coli, Klebsiella, and Proteus while ineffective against Pseudomonas and anaerobes.

The most common bacteria involved in skin infections is Staph intermedius, so effective
antibiotics would kill Staph and have good skin distribution. Cefpodoxime, cephalexin,
Clavamox, and clindamycin are most commonly used in our hospital. Resistance can be
seen with clindamycin but is rare with the other drugs. Quinolones are also effective, but
generally are reserved for severe pyoderma (mixed infection) or if another infection is
present. The number one reason for treatment failure or recurrence is short duration. I
routinely treat skin infections for 21 days minimum, and never less than 14 days even if a
very mild problem. Some deep infections require continuous treatment for 6-8 weeks.

The primary treatment of superficial pyoderma is with appropriate antibiotics for ≥21 and preferably 30 days. All clinical lesions (except for complete regrowth of alopecic areas and resolution of hyperpigmented areas) should be resolved for at least 7 days before antibiotics are discontinued. Chronic, recurrent, or deep pyodermas typically require 8-12 wk or longer to resolve completely.
First-time bacterial pyoderma can be treated with empiric antibiotic therapy such as lincomycin, clindamycin, erythromycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim-sulfadiazine, chloramphenicol, cephalosporins, amoxicillin trihydrate-clavulanic acid, or ormetoprim-sulfadimethoxine.
Amoxicillin, penicillin, and tetracyline are inappropriate choices for treating superficial or deep pyodermas because they are ineffective in 90% of these cases. Fluoroquinolones should not be used for empiric therapy. Severe deep pyoderma, recurrent pyoderma, or first-time bacterial pyodermas that do not respond to therapy should be treated based on culture and sensitivity.

I have a pit bull that gets pyoderma at least once a year....(its common for pit bulls)....

The Cephalexin I usually get is only about $18 for a complete round-
Thats pretty cheap....your vet may be giving you something more expensive, or charging too much...you might want to check elsewhere-

The shampoo however is about $198 a gallon...(of course you don't need a gallon, but you get my point)

IT WILL NOT go away if you do not treat it completely.....it will continue to flare up-

Where do you get that for $18?

Jack Ryan

Still dealing with this same dog, same problems.

Went to a new vet, went through another round of prednisone and antibiotic. This time this vet did a couple biopsi on these swollen feet and got the results back today.

More or less in her words...

Good news, no cancer, no tumors

Other news, no deep infections just a stubborn infection about skin deep. She's saying most likely is allergies. Don't know what it is, probably food allergy or flea allergy but he don't act much like he's got a flea problem.

Every option means more money and I've already probably got a thousand dollars in this "free" dog.:huh:

There just ain't no "winning" on this one. Looks like a low dose regiment of steroid and antibiotic for about a week every 5-6 weeks is the best to look forward to.

It really rubs my conscience what crosses my mind on this problem once in a while. I'm an old Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- looking at the downside and he's an old Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----, cranky and set in his ways. Every one in the family has allergy problems of one kind of another and now the stupid dog even has allergies. I should own a pharmacutical company for all the freaking prescriptions I buy for every one in this family now right down to the darn dog.:banginghe

pbyles

sorry...just saw your question.....i used a vet in alpharetta.....i can pm the name....try vetvax.com.....call them, if they have it they will sell it to you- cheap

Jack Ryan

sorry...just saw your question.....i used a vet in alpharetta.....i can pm the name....try vetvax.com.....call them, if they have it they will sell it to you- cheap

Thanks. When I get this settled in to a routine or something close I'll have to figure out the cheapest source for what ever we find works.