Small Acreage Turkey Hunting

Gadget

Don't like it, just too frustrating when you can't chase em and ungratifying even if I kill one.

I have offers to hunt small private land tracks of less than 100 acres in Florida every year where it's almost a guarantee to kill an Osceola but instead I go down there and hunt public land.

grouper throat

Maybe unpopular ooinion but corn feeders running to keep them close enough. Catch them coming back or forth if you have enough room to stay legal distance away. We have some smaller tracts here in Florida loaded with gobblers that I carry the kids to hunt. It's more of a waiting game on small acreage. Got another place that is 400 acres that all we really hunt is 40-50 to hunt on.

Gut_Pile

Can't run feeders in GA. No matter the distance you're hunting away from it

3chunter

Location. Location. I have a 20 acre tract that produces a SC limit of turkeys every year. And that was when the limit was 5. I have hunted 200-700 acre tracts that didn’t have a turkey on em.

Gadget

5 gobblers a year off 20 acres sounds like a good management plan for a reduction in the population.

six

Fire ? is your friend. If you burn they will come if they are in the area.
True, and I agree 100%. But without common sense it can also be your worst enemy. I am amazed and aggravated every year at the number of large fires I see during the nesting period.

I own a small tract (92) acres in AL. But its the right 92 acres. But I exercise trigger control don't over shoot it. Plenty of turkeys, and deer.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I can’t add anything much that has t been said already. It’s good that you have food plots. Plant chufa. You’ll be glad you did. Starting about now I would start putting out scratch feed. You’ll want to stop this a month or so before the season starts of course but from now until then I would put it out on at least an every other week basis. Weekly if it’s gone at the end of a week.

The thing about a smaller tract is, if there aren’t people turkey hunting around you, gobblers on neighboring tracts can bear you and can and do journey over when they hear you calling. I’m not saying it will happen every time but it will happen.

Have fun and good luck.