Smith pistol

Stihl 064

Need help identifying a smith revolver it's a nickle plated. The area were model numbers would be don't come up to anymore I know. I heard from my late father it was 357 on 44 frame but barely says 38 special. If I remember right he also stated cylinder was drilled out for 357 or had 357 cylinder on it. He said he purchased it from an ex deputy. Unfurtantaley dad's no longer around

Donal

Post a complete view. What grips are installed? Who is Barely? Have you looked on the butt for the serial number?

Last edited:

longrangedog

Looks like the trigger and hammer are plated. I think that indicates the plating job is not factory since those areas were case hardened by S&W.

Stihl 064

Barley as in hardly yes I have serial. Handles are stag I also have 2 more pics that won't load due to file size or somerhing. I believe after more research its a rare 38/44. I'm gonna call smith tomm.

Stroker

Best guess either a model 10 or 19. Long shot model 27. I agree it has a after market chrome or nickle plate job, S&W has never plated trigger hammers to my knowledge. Really need better pictures for a positive ID

Stihl 064

I found out and I'm allmost sure its a mo 23 or 27 38/44 woodsman n frame in nickle. The hammer and trigger arnt nickle. From what I've found its was manufactured in 50s and are kinda rare

Clemson

The 38/44 "Heavy Duty" was a pre-model number gun, N frame. Any rare collector value has been destroyed by altering the cylinder and loss of original grips. Not to say it won't be a nice shooter, but you won't be able to put a kid through college by selling it. I would not recommend shooting it with any ammunition other than .38 Special.