Snake Bite

prayers

prayers sent for this family. i am getting my snake boots back out. where i hunt in houston county we are eat up with rattlesnakes and hogs. i try to wear rubber boots to my stand but i am investing in some snake proof rubbers tomorrow at bass pro.

DBrannon

Prayers go out to his family. Such a terrible thing to happen when you are out enjoying the great outdoors. I will be extra careful from here on out.

timgarside

Prayers sent!

Hey Robbie,
His name was Dick Rupert.

No way!!!!

I know Dick from shooting, saw his obit in the local paper today.

He was a smallish fellow, that may have been a factor.

I really hate to hear that as he was a fine fellow, and a heck of nice person. He always seemed to be in exceptionally good spirits.

From today's Athens Banner Herald,

Winder - Richard "Dick" Rupert, 68, died Saturday, October 10, 2009. Mr. Rupert retired from AT&T, and moved to Winder from Between, Georgia, in 1995 to be closer to his grandchildren.
Mr. Rupert was a member of the NRA, Cherokee Gun Club, The Sons of Confederate Veterans and the First United Methodist Church of Winder. He was a dedicated husband, father and grandfather. He loved shooting, hunting, studying history and spending time with his family.
Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Janie; four sons, Rick, Mike, Chad and Greg; eight grandchildren. He also is survived by two brothers, Thomas and John, as well as three sisters, Ladora Rupert, Mary Varnum and Sarah Brennan.
Funeral services will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday, October 13, 2009, at First United Methodist Church of Winder with Pastor Terry Tippens officiating. Interment will be in Athens Memory Gardens.
The family will receive friends from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Monday at the funeral home.
Lord and Stephens, WEST, is in charge of arrangements. www.lordandstephens.com.

Lead Poison

This sad story is EXACTLY why I have always supported killing venomous snakes when you encounter them where you're hunting! This is especially true if you take your kids to the woods with you.

This could have happened to anyone of us, no matter HOW much you "watch" for snakes. It also could have happened to a child!

dm/wolfskin

Here's a picture of Mr. Rupert with his grandson Nick and son Chad taken back in January 2009 on a rabbit hunt for the kids. We'll miss him. Mike

Attachments

• rabithunt04.jpg
    rabithunt04.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 2,779
Very sorry to hear this news..Now you know why I kill every snake I see..Unless it has those white stripes on it I kill it..Sad Sad story..

Very sorry to hear it, my condolences to the family. Does anyone know first hand what happened exactly? How he was bitten, where on his body he was bitten, how long till he got medical attention, etc.?

RW

Athens Banner Herald

A Winder man died Saturday morning after a rattlesnake bit him while he was hunting in Oglethorpe County with his grandson.

Dick Rupert, 68, got bitten in the calf at about 7:30 a.m. by a small rattlesnake in the woods off Thaxton Wynne Road south of U.S. Highway 78, Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews said.

Rupert died at Wills Memorial Hospital in Washington about an hour later, Mathews said.

The rattlesnake bit Rupert in the calf as he climbed down from a tree stand, he said.

Rupert tried to get back to the road on a four-wheeler driven by his 12-year-old grandson, but he passed out and fell off twice, Mathews said. He was unresponsive when Oglethorpe EMS workers arrived at 7:44 a.m.

“The grandson was doing CPR when our crew got there,” Mathews said. “But Mr. Rupert was already in full cardiac arrest.”

The puncture marks on Rupert’s calf could barely be seen, Mathews said.

Thaxton Wynne Road runs between U.S. 78 and Georgia Highway 22 about seven miles southeast of Lexington, not far from the Wilkes County border.
Originally published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Monday, October 12, 2009

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
That sounds like anaphylaxis to me. Very, very unfortunate.

Thanks Twenty five ought six. Ditto on what Germag said, sounds like he had an allergic reaction to the venom for him to be overcome so quickly. Very sorry for him and his family.

RW

GunDog

Heart felt prayers sent to the family...

DSGB

Sad news. Prayers for the family, especially the grandson that had to witness it all.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Prayers sent to his friends and family....what a tragedy.

Ila Bowhunter

There is a story about it at www.onlineathens.com. Mr. Rupert was my friend's Dad. He will be missed. Prayers to the family.

From the article:
A Winder man died Saturday morning after a rattlesnake bit him while he was hunting in Oglethorpe County with his grandson.

Dick Rupert, 68, got bitten in the calf at about 7:30 a.m. by a small rattlesnake in the woods off Thaxton Wynne Road south of U.S. Highway 78, Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews said.

Rupert died at Wills Memorial Hospital in Washington about an hour later, Mathews said.

The rattlesnake bit Rupert in the calf as he climbed down from a tree stand, he said.

Rupert tried to get back to the road on a four-wheeler driven by his 12-year-old grandson, but he passed out and fell off twice, Mathews said. He was unresponsive when Oglethorpe EMS workers arrived at 7:44 a.m.

“The grandson was doing CPR when our crew got there,” Mathews said. “But Mr. Rupert was already in full cardiac arrest.”

The puncture marks on Rupert’s calf could barely be seen, Mathews said.

Thaxton Wynne Road runs between U.S. 78 and Georgia Highway 22 about seven miles southeast of Lexington, not far from the Wilkes County border.