So close..../what a couple of mornings.

Todd Cook

I gotta warn you, there are no pictures of a dead turkey at the end of this. There should be, and with what I used to hunt them with there would be 2 dead turkeys, but.............

Saturday morning started off with a bang, or a honk actually. I had pulled the truck over on our old logging road, put on my coat, had a longbow in one hand and a folding stool in the other. I leaned over the seat to grab my flashlight, and proceded to lean on my keys panic button. I jumped back, flung stuff in both directions, and realized I didn't know which pocket they were in:hammers::crazy:

Anyway, I got that straightend out finally and made my way to my blind. As it broke day, the gobbles started and didn't let up till after 9:00. One tom down in the bottom to my left was ON FIRE!. I bet he gobbled 50 times. I gave him all the sweet talk I could think of but he didn't show. A few minutes later I looked across from me and a gobbler was standing 30 yards away!!!! I was in a homemade brush blind and it wasn't good enough. I had a piece of leafy camo fabric tied between 3 trees, and it was blowing in the wind. We had a stand-off for a long time and he then just circled me and eased off into the woods. Note to self: Get a pop up blind.

I went back this morning, hoping for a replay. It started off silent. 27 degrees at daylight, and not a sound. About 8:00 I made a few yelps, and heard a gobble waaaaayyyy off down in a bottom. I thought to myself, that's 3 or 400 yards, but what have I got to lose.I took my box call and gave him my best hen music. He answered, and I shut up.

10 minutes later, He gobbled again, and he was obviously closer. 5 more min. and he cut the distance in half. When he hammered down at 80 yards, I thought" this is about to get interesting.

He hit the edge of the foodplot I was on and double gobbled. 25 yards away, and dead as a hammer with my 12 gauge. But what fun would that be. :bounce:

He saw my decoys and made a beeline, full strut, spittin and drumming the whole way. Now, I've shotgunned quite a few birds in my time, but I don't mind telling you I was shook up! I knew I was pinned down; not enough cover in his direction; too much cover where I needed to shoot.

He passed in front of me at6YARDS! I knew I had made a couple mistakes, but was trying to ride it out. First, I didn't have cover where I needed it. Second, I put my decoys up too far to the left. When he got to them I couldn't get a clear shot!!!!

I knew I had to try and make a move. I eased up and forward, ever so slowly, but he smelled a rat. He putted soft one time and trotted away about 10 yards. He stopped for a second and I took a shot I'm ashamed to say I shouldn't have taken. He was still under 20 yards, but I rushed it and MISSED!!!

Good gracious what a rush. He was a fully grown bird, a BIG one. I could have killed him easily with a load of #5's, but I'm truly glad I didn't. I would never have seen the show he put on.

I made my mind up to get one this year with my bow or not get one. I may not pull it off, but I sure am having fun. Beside's, Lord willing, there's always next weekend!

Last edited:

Barry Duggan

"I moved up and forward, ever so slowly, but he smelled a rat":bounce:

jerry russell

That is some good stuff. Hunting turkeys without a blind is one of the toughest hunts you can try. Hunting them with a blind makes it 95% less difficult.

Clipper

Glad you are on birds. With some work on the blind you should get one soon.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Sounds like a perfect morning to me!!! We share similar stories, I had a friend and his son with me Saturday morning (never been hunting). I called in 2 different groups of birds, 2 gobblers and3 hens in one group and 3 big gobblers in a the other. Both groups show up at the same time 50 yrds to the left and 50ish to the right. One of the bachelor birds committed and the young man got a shot. Luckily for the bird the young hunters nerves had gotten the best of him by the time the shot presented its self.

Vance Henry

Great morning Todd. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Jake Allen

Exciting times Todd. I am proud you were there.

Al33

Brother Todd, that was an exciting read!!:D Let me help your sore toe a bit and tell you I have screwed up more than one opportunity this year.:bounce: I could have limited out on mature toms already easily with a shotgun but hunting them with a bow is by far the most exciting for me. This is not to say I will not grab my shotgun before it's over or if a particular hunt begs me to do so because hunting them with a gun is exciting and challenging too.

I have had some very exciting hunts already and I can hardly wait to get back after them and I just got back about two hours ago. :D

I expect you will get your tom if the trend around here continues. Crispin and Ronnie are first timers this year with the bow killed toms so maybe you will be too. I sure hope so!

robert carter

Good times Todd, Turkeys will get your heart pounding. I too have had encounters like that and no shot or bird to show. But I always lean back against the tree and smile when its done. Having a bird so close you can see the panic in his face when he spots you is almost as good as shooting him...almost.RC

Todd Cook

Good times Todd, Turkeys will get your heart pounding. I too have had encounters like that and no shot or bird to show. But I always lean back against the tree and smile when its done. Having a bird so close you can see the panic in his face when he spots you is almost as good as shooting him...almost.RC

I reckon that was the closest I've ever been to one. I've always said people that hunt deer with a gun miss all the good stuff because they shoot em before they get real close. Turkeys the same; I used to put the decoys about 25 yards away, and pop em before they got that close. When that bird started drumming 5 or 6 yards away, so close all I could see was his head over the blind, now that was exciting.

And I know what you mean about smiling. I was ticked off when I missed him, for about 20 seconds. Then all I could think was "wow" that was fun and what I could do better next time.

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
He sure gave ya enough excitement ta keep ya commin back for more. Im purdy sure one of them birds has your name on it. Good story!