Some Help Please

Chris92

Hey guys I posted a while back about getting a M/L well i fount one about 89 to 100 dollers but I still have to buy everything else from patchs to bullets can anyone tell me everything I need toget to my 1st shot and cleaning.Thanks.Chris

Just another question say im shooting 50 grains of powder from a muzzleloader how is it louder than a .22 with 40 grains its not that much of a difference is it?

Last edited:

hawgrider1200

U need powder, projectiles, and a primer to get off ur first shot. U need patches for that projectile if u are shooting a patched round ball. Since u did not say whether u bought a sidelock or an inline we can only guess. Far as cleaning after that first shot, If u have a tub full of hot water and some Dawn dishwashing detergent all that u need is a brass brush for the caliber u wish to shoot and cleaning jag and patches. If it is inline u might need a breach plug wrench and some lube for putting the plug back in.

hawgrider1200

Then u need the powder, projectile, and 209 muzzleloader primers unless u are shooting Buckhorn 209 powder then u need standard 209 shotshell primers.
Cleaning needs would be like a breach plug wrench, a good ramrod, a cleaning jag, some patches and windex and hot soapy water. For Buckhorn 209 powder they say to use ur standard Hoppes gun cleaning solvent.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
chris this is a copy/paste, but a bunch of it will help with what you need to get started.

Most likely your gun will shoot fine with 250gr TC bonded shockwaves that wally sells for $18 a box and with 100 gr 777 (2-50 grain pellets) and any brand name primer although each ML is different and it may take some playing with.

Things you need…

A lot of dry cleaning patches

Pre-saturated cleaning patches

Breech plug grease…make sure to put on breech before going to the range

A cleaning jag (will also be used to seat bullets at range)

Either a good range rod or at least a T handle that you can screw onto your rod

Couple of brushes that are good for cleaning the breech plug threads inside the gun and the plug itself.

Make sure the scope is mounted properly with good quality bases and rings and at the very least boresighted.

When you load for the first time make sure the range rod is marked at the level it sticks out when powder and bullet is seated. You never want to load twice and this will keep it from happening.

At the range…shoot a couple of primers into the gun to make sure it is “fouled” and dry. Then shoot at 25 yards to get close to the bulls before moving to 100 yards.

BETWEEN each shot take a saturated cleaning patch (or use a dry one with windex on it) and your range rod and cleaning jag and run it down the barrel paying close attention to the crud ring in front or the breech. Take out patch, flip over and do again. Then run a couple of dry patches down. Do not take the breech out for this. This needs to be done between every single shot at the range if you are shooting pellets or most loose powders. This will make sure that you are getting as much consistency as you can get from your gun and your combination.

Shoot and repeat swabbing and move the scope as needed every 2-3 shots. This should get you pretty accurate, which with this combination should be a normal deer sized group at 100 yards…pending your ability as a shooter this might be 5” groups or 2” groups or even less.

To clean, take out breech plug and put it in a cup of hot soapy water to soak. While soaking it use the little brush to clean the threads inside the barrel. Run a patch or two down the barrel to get it clean enough to put the breech back in. Put grease on plug threads and put back in. Then clean the barrel with the saturate patches or a bore brush as needed just like you would a regular rifle, making sure to use dry patches until COMPLETELY dry. Clean the rest of the gun the same as normal.

BlackHorn 209 powder is a little more expensive and a tad bit more work because you have to measure loads, but will increase accuracy and will increase velocity and does away with all the swabbing between shots and makes cleaning even easier. In my opinion EVERY MLer on the planet should be shooting BH209 instead of traditional powder subs or pellets. Should you decide to go the loose powder (whether 777 or BH209) route get back with us so we can steer you to the items you will need for it.

Let us know how it all works or any more questions you have

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
chris the cleaning kit should start you off fine, but personally I wouldnt mess with the starter kit because it has stuff you may never use or need. although the video will be good for reference, you can get most of not all of the basics from this article and then the video series posted here http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=413743

if you want to start out with the basics, get a cleaning kit like you posted and a box of 777 50 grain pellets and a box or 2 of TC shockwave 250 grain bonded bullets and pretty much any brand of primer. all of this is probably on clearance at walmart right now.

add a bag of 50 cal cleaning patches and some generic windex to run patches down the barrel between shots at the range

after you get comfy with the basics of the gun you may want to start playing with the powder and bullet combo to get the accuracy and ease and cleanliness inline