Spring coyote trapping help?

Koltan

Alright all you experienced trappers. I have had a successful trapping season, but I will be trapping some land this spring-early summer. I’m hoping to help out the deer #’s, but I have never trapped in hot weather. What tips or pointers do you have to offer?

furtaker

In my experience you can catch coyotes through April but it gets pretty tough after that and it's not as much fun in sweating weather. Coyotes are lethargic during the summer months. Ants are a serious problem too, with baits anyway.

I'm sure some good trappers can catch them in hot weather but I don't have much motivation that time of the year.

280 Man

Banned
Alright all you experienced trappers. I have had a successful trapping season, but I will be trapping some land this spring-early summer. I’m hoping to help out the deer #’s, but I have never trapped in hot weather. What tips or pointers do you have to offer?

I caught 5-6 yotes last Summer and several the Summer before mainly in flat sets. I use mainly rocks for my "key" but I don't pass up stumps, small logs, clumps of grass and the such if it's in the right place. Coyotes still like those road beds, fire breaks, and the edges between cover in the summer as well.

Be advised, it is hot and hard work and you will sweat, fight chiggers, ticks, spiders, and "yeller jackets" but it can be done! I don't fool too much with bait cause food is readily available during the Summer. Scent and urine is way to go IMO when it's hot!!

O, did I mention that YOU WILL SWEAT LIKE A MULE!

Last edited:

jakebuddy

I caught more last summer than I did in the fall, I believe it was late July. Made all my sets at night with a head lamp a lot cooler then. Really didn’t change much dirt holes with bait and lure. I do know they don’t range as far in the summer but as long as you are setting on sign everything is the same well until you have to release a bobcat!

buckpasser

I’m going to pull my traps shortly and plan to regroup for late spring. I want to expand a little into some scent post sets. So far I’ve been 100% dirt hole. I plan to use some coyote gland and urine. Please post your results. I need to learn all I can.

OleRed15

What have y’all found to be the best set and bait/lure/urine combo for fighting the ant problem? That’s my biggest issue with spring or summer trapping is keeping ants out of my sets. They even mess up a few in winter on warmer weather days.

mossyoakpro

What have y’all found to be the best set and bait/lure/urine combo for fighting the ant problem? That’s my biggest issue with spring or summer trapping is keeping ants out of my sets. They even mess up a few in winter on warmer weather days.

Liquid baits are my go to in the warm months.

jakebuddy

I had a lot of success with federales last summer, the ants did eat it after a few days though but I think they would eat whatever you put out.

Koltan

Anyone use grab and die sets during hot weather. And do y’all switch from gland lures to food/curiosity lures?

280 Man

Banned
Anyone use grab and die sets during hot weather. And do y’all switch from gland lures to food/curiosity lures?

I mainly stick with gland and urine lure in the Summer! However, last year I wanted to try something a little different. I bought some Dobbins Backbreaker beaver lure to try in my sets.. Caught a couple as well. I also found a tub of catfish paste type bait for 75 cents and used it! Caught several 'coons but I did catch one yote on it!

I honestly believe that there's no perfect or bad lure for yotes. Being as curious as they are they will "check" most anything! If you got an idea, try it. What have you got to lose!