squirrel and dumplings

308-MIKE

i'm eating some squirrel and dumplings i just made. not bad, but i think i need to work on the dumplings.
i cut up a small onion, 2 ribs of celery, 4 small cloves of garlic, and some carrot pieces. saute'd them in olive oil. cut 2 large squirrels and 3 small squirrels into manageable pieces. when the veggies were done i added in the squirrel pieces, 2 cans of chicken broth, enough water to cover squirrels, about 5 cans. added in some chicken boullion and pepper to broth and boiled until meat was tender.
in meantime i made dumplings per a recipe i found on line. 2 cups of flour 2 teaspoons of baking powder (added 1/4 tspn of baking soda, on my own accord), dash of salt, parsley, about 1/3 cup of cold butter, and half a cup of milk( ended up adding probably another half cup, because was unable to roll in a ball).
i let the dough sit while removed the squirrel, let cool and remove meat. after removing meat from bones, i put back in broth. i pressed out the dough ( i forgot to buy a rolling pin) and cut into squares. when broth began to boil i put dough into the broth. many, if not most, began falling apart and mixing in with broth. let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes. placed in bowl and ate.
not bad, but it seems like the broth took on too much of the dough/flour, and dulled the taste a bit ( i have an issue with adding too much flour to make gravy too). now i'm trying to be one of them reformed northern city yankees. i enjoy hunting squirrels, but never ate one, let alone 5. now, as i said, it's not bad( once i get past the idea, that i'm eating a rat), but i know it could be better. my parents have always said that i need to do things the hard way, which is why i made my own biscuits, and didn't follow recipes verbatim(none of the recipes i found called for onion, garlic, celery or carrots. just always thought if making a broth, best to add in more flavoring ingredients).
if anyone has any ideas on making it better, i'm all for it. (the eating rats part is my own issue that i'll deal with. i love hunting squirrel. but, if i'm not gonna eat them no use in killing them).
i'm all ears, and eyes.

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
Sounds good mike. You just getting to them squirrels? It's been a bit since squirrel season.

Scrapy

Banned
Baking powder is the mess up. Use all purpose flour without baking powder and for sure not self rising flour. Gives me shivers thinking about eating squirrel this time of year. All ours have wolves.

308-MIKE

lol, yeah, had them in the freezer. my wife, who would never ever eat squirrel, even if she was starving to death, is at work until late. so, i figured now was as good a time as any to make them up. i shot them in january and february at pine log, and had them in vacuum packs in the bottom of the freezer. if it weren't for liking fish and chicken, my wife would probably be a vegan and animal rights activist. the only way she doesn't give me a hard time about hunting, is if i eat what i kill. ;)

crackerdave

Hope you can make it (with some kids!) to the West Point WMA youth squirrel hunt this winter after deer season.
Good try on the dumplins!