Summer Sausage Kit

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I bought a Hi Mountain Summer Sausage Kit at Bass Pro this weekend and had some questions I'm sure someone here can help me with. This is the pepper and garlic flavor in case that makes a difference. The instructions say to let the sausage cure in the fridge 12 to 24 hours in the fridge but no more. Anyone know the ramifications of having it in the fridge in the casing for 36 hours? Then for the smoking, there are a series of times and temps which are targeted.

120 for 1 hour
140 for 1 hour
160 for .5 hour
180 until product reaches 156 internal

My pellet smoker doesnt go below 175 and my oven below 170. I can probably leave the door cracked on the oven and get maybe something closer to 150. Curious if yall think its ok to dry it in the oven with the door cracked for an hour then smoke at 175 until done.

specialk

3lb sticks?.....i did the oven door cracked thing.....i did half cheese half jalapeno..... i think 10 sticks total.....seems it took3-4 hours total.......i cured the meat before casing....worked fine...

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
3lb sticks?.....i did the oven door cracked thing.....i did half cheese half jalapeno..... i think 10 sticks total.....seems it took3-4 hours total.......i cured the meat before casing....worked fine...

Yes 3lb sticks. I have time to mix and stuff the sausage but wont have time to start cooking it until about 36 hour later so I was trying to figure out if its ok to leave in the casing for that long. Like I said the kit instructions say no more than 24 hours. Curious as to what starts happening after 24 hours.

pop pop jones

Sounds like you should give it to someone that has the time to finish it correctly.

I'm retired, and have plenty of spare time, by the way.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Like I said the kit instructions say no more than 24 hours. Curious as to what starts happening after 24 hours.

Bacteria/Botulism. :wink:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Thanks elfii...that's what i needed to know. What is it in the seasoning/cure that makes bacteria/botulism start up? How is it different than leaving the ground meat in the fridge for a few days?

Last edited:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I contacted Hi Mountain and they told me that leaving the meat curing too long will lead to a very salty end product. They recommend freezing until it can be cooked if it is to remain curing for over 24 hours.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Dadgum, that looks good. So does your Hammond knife.

Mauser

Did you double grind or single? I normally do a double on sausage, course then medium plate. But this time I ground once through the fine plate and put it meat mixer,then stuffer and was pleased with the texture. The second grind seems to take me forever lol.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Did you double grind or single? I normally do a double on sausage, course then medium plate. But this time I ground once through the fine plate and put it meat mixer,then stuffer and was pleased with the texture. The second grind seems to take me forever lol.

Single grind and I actually ended up stuffing these casings using a solo cup with the bottom cut out as a funnel and pressing the meat in by hand. Going thru the grinder again to stuff was not working very well and gave too fine a consistency for my liking. I'm going to get a piston type stuffer ordered this weekend.

Mauser

I started out the same way and had the same experience lol. I lucked up a few years ago and found a vivo 11lb stuffer for 99.00,has metal gears and it's the same as the stuffer Walton's sells as their brand. I just bought a spare gasket from them to have on hand. I just started buying from Walton's this year and so far I'm very pleased.