Sunshades on Scopes

Buck&Tom Hunter

Does anyone have info on sunshades for scopes? I know a guy who couldnt get a shot on a buck this weekend because the glare from the sun was too bad it was when the sun was at its low point in the evening. Would these sunshades work in this condition when pointing towards the sun? Thanks for any input

captbrian

i don't know if it would have helped, but i would think so. after all they are to help reduce the glare from the sun right. i have one on my nikon buckmaster, and i was worried that it would be more of a disadvantage because it wouldn't let me have a clear view at last shooting light, etc. well, i waited until last light, looked through the scope with and without the shade, and it was the exact same. it's staying on there.

i believe i got mine at midway for about $25.

RamblinWreck

I use the Leupold 2.5" sun shades on my scopes. Helps a lot in sunny shots. Also helps keep it dry/clean when moving thru brush. Downside is it has a bell-like "ping" when a branch slaps it, so I wrapped it in camo tape.

DaddyPaul

I have them for a couple of my Nikon scopes. Some scopes are threaded to receive one and many are not. There are a few aftermarket shades designed to slip over the end of the scope but I didn't find any to my liking. There is actually one on my scope in my avatar but the pic is so small you can't really see it.

Ozzie

An added benefit is that it works both ways, you aren't flashing a shiney piece of glass at the deer like a signal mirror. They will see the reflection of a large objective scope under the right lighting conditions.

Buck&Tom Hunter

thanks for the help, might have to try one I dont think they are too expensive especially if they work

bollman85

Sunshade can't hurt. We permanently mount them to our sniper scopes here, and they are awesome even at night.

captbrian

the one i have on my nikon threads right on. it was about $25 from midway. i don't think $25 is too much.

cpowel10

it would of probably helped some. ive got a 8 inch sunshade on a .223 and ive killed two deer with it this year right at dark

Buck&Tom Hunter

Maybe we will try one out because he said he could see the buck with his eyes but once he pulled up his scope it was like a nightmare