Swaging vs trimming pockets

Geezer Ray

Which is better. Working with Lake City brass in .308. I have run them all through my RCBS swager and still have the occasional jam. Which do you prefer and why?

chuckdog

I have the on press and the benchtop RCBS swagers and consider the on press one a total waste. The benchtop works much better than the on press one, but it's no where near as effective as reaming them.

I use both Lyman and Hornady pocket crimp removal bits successfully.

To power them I've been using an RCBS Trim Mate, but recently replaced it with a Lyman Xpress unit.

trial&error

Probably not the best way, but I just use my hand held tool that you cleanup with after trimming cases and chamfer the primer pocket just a smidge. primers go in fairly easy and have not had any fall out. And I already had the tool on hand.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a Dillon swager and it works pretty good as well as the RCBS set that doesn't work well at all. Get you one of these type tools to hold your deburring tool in a drill and touch it a couple of times. Some of that is starting to make my hands hurt...but working that drill trigger keeps Arthur at bay in that trigger finger ;)

BriarPatch99

I just use a countersink bit in the drill press... a little learning curve .... but a few seconds per case ... it is a one time process ..

I hold the brass in my hand and do not move the drill quill ...move brass to bit ...touch ....drop ...do another...

Last edited:

Geezer Ray

Looking at something like this, Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer. Ever try one?

chuckdog

Looking at something like this, Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer. Ever try one?

These units don't specifically say the crimp removal reamers are included. It does use a common thread size that's becoming more universal between manufacturers.

The Hornady crimp removal reamer is inexpensive and should screw right into either of the the Frankford unit.

The Trimmer sounds great since it uses the shoulder. I don't recall trimming straight wall shoulderless brass except maybe for conversion/experimentation.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012719754?pid=628405

"The Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Prep and Trim Center offers 4 work stations to quickly and easily prepare brass for reloading. The permanent trimming station indexes off the case shoulder to trim shouldered cases from 17 Remington to 460 Weatherby without the use of shell holders. The other 3 stations accept any case preparation accessory with 8-32 threads. The Platinum Case Prep Center includes a VLD chamfering tool, Outside Chamfer Tool, as well as large and small primer pocket uniformers. The built in storage box keeps all accessories organized and close at hand. Plugs into standard 110 volt outlet."

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019601823?pid=997534

The Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Prep Center offers 4 work stations to quickly and easily prepare brass for reloading. The 4 stations accept any case preparation accessory with 8-32 threads. The Platinum Case Prep Center includes an Inside Chamfer Tool, Outside Debur Tool, Large and Small Primer Pocket Scrapers. Includes built in tool holder. Plugs into standard 110 volt outlet.

Features

• Four powered tool stations
  • Hardened High Speed Steel Tools
  • 8-32 Threaded output shafts
  • 200 RPM output shafts
  • Durable aluminum design

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165253550

The Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Cutter head quickly removes the military crimp from primer pockets with this handy tool.