T/C Contender Questions and Others

Hey handgun hunters, it's my first year that I'm going to try to jump into this.

Picture of the Set Up :

downsize7.jpg

Picked her up locally for a good price and had the Bushnell Elite 3200 at the house - figured it was a good fit. Chambered in 44magnum, in case anyone is curious.

First off - can anyone tell me more about my gun in particular? I know it's a Contender - but is there anything more specific?

Also, how many barrels (aftermarket or from TC) are made for this pistol and where can they be purchased? And I'd assume barrels from the G2 Contender and the Encore should also fit up to it?

Anywho - if anyone feels like answering those questions, great, if not - just like to see who all hunts with a little Contender!

Bonus picture

Picture003-3.jpg

I was going to put the Bushnell on here, but just couldn't make myself do it. She's too pretty the way she sits.

Last edited:

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
So Encore no = Contender.

How many Contender barrels are there...exactly?

Please excuse my ignorance guys, I don't know the first thing about these things and I'm reading as I'm typing this out

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
the two guns just look similar the Encore is bigger,heavier shoots more powerful rounds-- ( the ones in my photo are Encores)-- how many different calibers --- who knows some custom shops will make you what you want as long as it is safe to chamber in a contender -- look at the EAB link for the most popular ones

TTom

20 or so standard calibres, and all sorts of custom options available for the G1 and a few more for the G2.

Most round G 1 barrels will fit G2 frames , but G2 barrels will not fit the G1 frame.

TTom

I'm not an expert on identifying them , but it looks like a G1 to me.

I believe the G2 does not have the cougar

3 generations of G1's and telling them apart is a matter of how the shift from center to rimfire is done.

You can find tons of information online about how to tell the difference.

Welcome to the club, they are an addiction.

Thanks. Tonight was my first venture of ripping it apart and cleaning it. Looks to be a 30 year old gun that's never been cleaned.

Devodud

I started hangun hunting with a Contender in 7mm TCU 10" bbl last year. It shoots really good. I can put 3 in a paper plate at 300yd using a simple rest. It will probably have enough energy to cleanly kill a deer to about 150yd or so.

Good to know.

I won't be taking a shot over 50-60 yards with the 44 mag. I don't like what ifs, especially when it's me, five other people, and a hound looking for a deer for 6 hours.

Last edited:

Ronbow

I"ve Owned and hunted with the two old style frames and numerous barrels for 35 years, killed many deer with the 30 Herrett and 357 Herrett barrels I have. Metal knock down competion is where these started and most cals will consistantly shoot a 3 inch group at 100 m from a rest. lots of barrels at gun shows for sale too but take a bore lite and check them for wear a comp barrel could be shot out. 7mm tcu is a good choice for factory load ammo to hunt with.looks like that scope is not a long eye relief so look out with that 44 mag if u shoot, got to have a pistol scope for that gun. I also like the leupold mounts that use the holes in the barrel for a high recoil cals, weaver mounts wont cut it. Oh the bull barrels are the most acurate the one u have in the pic is not a bull barrel !! I agree with Eddie these are habit forming guns !!!!!!! have fun pm me if u want

Last edited:

John I. Shore

Habit forming to say the least! I have a couple and put rifle stocks on them, shoot them as short rifles now with (16-18 inch Barrels) in .22, .222, .223 and my favorite, the .218 Bee.
A great source for barrels and stovewood, www.bullberry.com
great folks and accurate barrels. I agree with the others, bull barrels are the way to go. Good luck with it, highly suggest a rifle combo for it.

John I.

Last edited:

frankwright

I have been hunting with a Contender for about 12 years. My main weapon is a 10" stainless in 7-30 Waters with a 2-6X Bushnell. About 80 yards has been my longest shot and I have never had a deer go over 25 yards and most go right down.

I also have a blued 10" .41 Magnum that I had coated to match the stainless frame. I have a 2X scope on it.

Yours looks like a really nice gun. I don't know a lot of the Contender history but before about 1980 they used a screw in the hammer to select rimfire/centerfire. After that they switched to the lever that we are still using today.
I really enjoy the Contender and it can be an amazingly accurate gun to shoot and fun to hunt with. I have never been a big barrel collector and only keep the few that I want to use.
Have fun and enjoy your new gun.

Thanks Frank(and everyone else) - and mine has a screw on the hammer that you turn to select centerfire/rimfire.

Also, the scope is a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x32 Pistol Scope.

Also - anyone else have doubts about the Weavers? It fits up tight enough.

Richard P

There is much info on Contenders. The G2 barrels are supposed to fit existing frames. Your 44 is best suited to your scope on 2x for woods work and you can go to 6x on the range. The 44 can give some recoil so be ready for that. If you load for it you'll find you dont need max loads. Watch your base screws and keep them tight or use thread lock. Loose screws will rip out the barrel threads. If you need to break the bond----heat the screws.
On your frame the sear adjustment is found inside near the rear. You'll need an .050 hex wrench. Dont set it so light as to make it dangerous for cold fingers. Grip: Keep it tight. You might want to find a Pachmayr grip.
Barrels: As mentioned, Encore barrels are for Encore frames. Next, a good 22lr barrel is nice to have as would be a 14'' .223 barrel or a 10'' Hornet barrel if you reload. You may see some barrels marked ''AA'' which are ''Armor Alloy'' and sometimes the coating will interfere with the fit of the hinge pin. They are not the same as Stainless barrels. Some early barrels were octagonal.
Parts: Over time you may need a hammer spring and possibly a firing pin and spring. T/C would send small parts and you might get them to send them now. If you want the entire guts you'll likely have to pay for them. Contender frames are sturdy and are best served a diet of less than max loads.

Win1917

Nice find. What you have there is one of the older "hard open" frames. The hammer selector has been mentioned already but also you can tell from the shape of the trigger and the pin that trigger guard pivots on when you pull it is up near the front of the trigger guard. The newer "easy open" frames have the pivot pin above the trigger. I think "hard open" is a little over stated because I don't notice much difference between the two but none the less they're often called that.

It also has an older barrel. You can tell by the soldered on front sight. The newer barrels have screw-on front sights which look different. The older barrels shoot fine but I tend to buy the newer ones so I have the flexibility to remove it, upgrade it, etc so that's something to keep in mind when looking at additional barrels.

Welcome to the addiction :). Contenders are a ton of fun and can be highly accurate. "Specialty Pistols" also has a ton of information about T/C's http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Great info - I very much appreciate it guys.

The gun, being in fairly good condition, isn't worth so much that I shouldn't be dragging it into the woods, is it? I have no clue what it's truly worth without the optics.

I'll be on the market looking for a few good hunting/match barrels.

Richard P

Sign up at SpecialtyPistols. Also see Graybeard Outdoors. Frames run in the $200 area and barrels go up and down around $150. The 3200 is a good optic. Edstc is a good reference. Enjoy your new affliction. rp

ATLRoach

Agree with all listed above. I made the switch from Autos(10mm), to Wheel guns, then contenders and bolt actions. I love hunting with pistols and my 45-70JDJ is my favorite. My 44mag loved 310gr Leads over a healthy dose of H110.