Tainting Meat

ldhfff

First time trying to make my own predator bait. I have ground up a bunch of both dark and light turkey meat and put it in an airtight container to taint. It's been outside for the last 5 days and when I checked it today it had not really tainted that much and had mold growing on it. Is this normal and should I simply leave it out longer and not worry about the mold? Any advice? I bought some commercial bait solution to put in with the meat once it reaches a mild taint but clearly I have more to learn about this process.

oldguy

I'm sure there's enough information on-line, in instuction books,magazine articles, etc. to set you straight. One thing for sure, the container shouldn't be "air tight". There needs to be a way to let the gasses associated with decomposition escape. It wouldn't hurt to contact the folks who make or sell the "commercial bait solution" you bought. They should be able to help. Good luck.

Methyl Paraben will stop the mold, it is sold in powder form and is a preservative normally used along with Sodium Benzoate. The Methyl Paraben is used as a mold preventative. I highly recommend books by Nick Wyshinki on making baits and lures, there are several others that can be found cheap, they will be money well spent!