The current heat and humidity

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Down in Early, Miller and Seminole counties, it's rough to be doing anything outside. Thunderstorms in the evenings aren't helping either. Our woods are quickly getting at the flooding mark, with water running through the woods. Plenty rain has kept farms from irrigating, allowing ground water to build up. If this keeps up, we'll need waders come deer season. With our swamps filling up, it's pushing more hogs out onto high ground. My cameras are getting more hogs this week, than they have been getting in two months.
I'm having to mow our camp every week, and our woods roads have grown up. Too darn hot for me to be bush hogging those roads. Asking members to do it is like pulling teeth. Might just leave it grown up and see how they like it come season.
I've always mowed the roads, removed downed trees from roads, repaired stands etc. Too old to do all that these days, so I'll be taking care of what I will be using, and let the rest slide. Tractors will think I've disowned them. lol.. And now, my hunting buggy has quit. Began having problems charging. Then starting losing power. Now nothing, the solenoid Isn't pulling up. I've had more problems with this 48v cart than I ever had with the 36v cart. Batteries check out good, full charge.
How's your summer going?

Attachments

• 11138136_10203166525363745_5262656316654962082_n.jpg
    11138136_10203166525363745_5262656316654962082_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Kubotajune.JPG
    Kubotajune.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 114
  • campmar30.jpg
    campmar30.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 115
  • blindson.jpg
    blindson.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 111

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not doing all the work I used to do, is saving me lots of money in fuel, repair. And gives me more time to go fishing in Lake Seminole. When it isn't raining. Lately fishing in the mornings are best, rains every afternoon. Catching some fine good size shellcrackers. The catfish bite has been off lately. Water level is high, could be the problem. Keeping the toon at the dock these days, wish it had more shade. Might add some later.

Attachments

• May21.jpg
    May21.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 27

Buford_Dawg

Hot and Humid up here in North Ga as well, hadnt hit the woods in 6 weeks now and probably wont until late August. The older I get the more I stay out of the woods during the hot summer, rather be fishing in a pond or trout stream or playing early morning rounds of golf with my sons or buddies. Have gotten tired of fighting ticks, chiggars, spiders, etc... thru the summer. Since I stay in the woods from Late Sept thru April, I figure it is ok to miss out during the summer, LOL....

Jim Boyd

I’m praying for that rain on my corn plots.

Putting ears on and needs water.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hot and Humid up here in North Ga as well, hadnt hit the woods in 6 weeks now and probably wont until late August. The older I get the more I stay out of the woods during the hot summer, rather be fishing in a pond or trout stream or playing early morning rounds of golf with my sons or buddies. Have gotten tired of fighting ticks, chiggars, spiders, etc... thru the summer. Since I stay in the woods from Late Sept thru April, I figure it is ok to miss out during the summer, LOL....

That's me as well - doe hibernates this time of year. The woods are a green buzzing hades right now.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Rode through a block of woods I hunt a couple of days ago, and those dang flies were swarming the truck. Inside of the truck got slap full of them suckers. They are awful out there. I won't be messing around back there any time soon.

::gone:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I spent the early afternoon out in it working in my yard. Worst part is the dirt road is staying so jacked up that I haven’t been able to get to my hunting land in about a week.

flatwoods

I'm riding down that way tomorrow.
Just checking out the scenery.
Trying to decide where I want to live when I retire in a couple years.
If I end up down that way I'll mow for ya. I would rather do that than a lot of things I can think of.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Humidity so bad in Dooly you just about need gills to breathe. Skeeters will tote you out of the woods, see deer in fields most all hours of the day. Spot Sprayed some weed killer on my plots. We’re getting good rain, but it’s hot enough that our woods aren’t filling up with water yet. Corn is about all that’s getting irrigated often, that stuff loves water. I’ll wait til September to till my plots, I want to keep the dirt around my youngest trees as damp as possible. Letting everything else grow wild til then.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree, no use working plots now. Sept might be the time to get em in. Probably quit raining then. That's how it usually goes. I'll be checking our woods, but probably wont get out of the truck much until it cools a bit.

Attachments

• Truckmay25.JPG
    Truckmay25.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Campwork.jpg
    Campwork.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 26

kingfish

Same thing here in Florida. It rained for 2 straight weeks before the tropical storm which gave us 8 inches in one day. Both my WMA's are as green and lush as you can get, but they are both flooded big time. The snakes and gators are on the move not to mention the yellow flies. Sad thing is the quail are all on the sides of the roads and the hawks and falcons are having a field day picking them off. Nature at it's finest. Like many of you, as I get older I try and get smarter. I know I need to be in the woods figuring things out and setting cameras but dang !!!

Gdougla1

I agree, no use working plots now. Sept might be the time to get em in. Probably quit raining then. That's how it usually goes. I'll be checking our woods, but probably wont get out of the truck much until it cools a bit.
What’s the plan for the plot in September?

Reactions: Son

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve been doing all the usual . Got a few summer plots looking good , planting a mix of sorghum, peas and peanuts . If nothing else I’ll have some sorghum . Just put out 3 cameras this week on some new property. Scattered about $50 worth of corn around them . Got 3 trough feeders I’ve kept full of peanuts since turkey season went out . In the next couple weeks I’ve got 3 box stands and a few ladders to put up . Still trying to figure out new land so I don’t have to move them . And yes it’s getting hot

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I’ve been doing all the usual . Got a few summer plots looking good , planting a mix of sorghum, peas and peanuts . If nothing else I’ll have some sorghum . Just put out 3 cameras this week on some new property. Scattered about $50 worth of corn around them . Got 3 trough feeders I’ve kept full of peanuts since turkey season went out . In the next couple weeks I’ve got 3 box stands and a few ladders to put up . Still trying to figure out new land so I don’t have to move them . And yes it’s getting hot
Raw shell on peanuts?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What’s the plan for the plot in September?
Sept, probably plant more peas, then oats, collards, rape, turnips, that will be feed whole oats to save money. Most plots already have clover that returns. Presently we have three plots still good. Crab grass took over the other 12. With so many peanuts planted around us this year,, feeding the deer isn't really necessary. We will keep up plots to keep some of em in the woods, and to keep the plots from growing up with brush.

sleepr71

Sounds like you NEED a Sprayer to go on the back of your tractor! Put a Boomless nozzle on it & hit everything in the Spring just as soon as it starts growing good. A strong Glyphosate mix would probably keep it knocked down through most of the Summer. Maybe have to mow in September before doing plots,..but it would cut your work load down A LOT? Whole lot more pleasant to spray it in March/April…than mow multiple times in the 100degree heat! Make the other members chip in & buy the Glyphosate & Sprayer. A good used 100 gallon sprayer & a few totes,filled with clean water,placed uphill from the sprayer will refill it multiple times. It is THE WAY..dang all that work when nobody else is willing to help you?. @doomtrpr_z71 is the man on herbicides & when/how to use them?

sleepr71

I’d be Fishing. Let the other,younger members enjoy the fruits of their labor! That,or…figure your labor + days of labor into their yearly Dues. Their choice. Either get out & help you keep it up..or pay you…!
Sorry,I was raised to tote my share of the load..and freeloading folks…just bugs me…rant over..???