The next dilemma(s)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Might be pushing it a little but I put a set of arrows together and am sighted in as good as I can at 15 yards. If I make a good pull it’s like throwing darts and I’m very pleased. But, I am getting marks on the bottom of my fletchings so they have to be hitting the release.
My question I guess is can it be fixed or is the release too slow? I don’t know how to time it properly, I just know it made marks. It was installed with the new string and cable set at the shop, so I’m assuming it’s good.
Next dilemma is my fletching at the 4ish o’clock position, wants to touch the cable, just a touch, but it’s always been an issue. I’ve been adjusting the nock to make it clear. Should I move my rest and sight over to the left? Never had the marks from my sight before, but I did have marks from hitting the cable. I can usually tell by the flight if it touched though. I’m trying to dial it in myself obviously, but I also have some QAD low end fall away in my cart that I may get.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You can see #4 has no marks and I’ve shot all 5 3 times….weird to me

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Fletchings hitting the release or the rest?
There should be a rod that would be movable to hold the cables out further.
Whisker biscuit solved all my rest problems. The arrow pulls through the whiskers as it goes and I think it really helps stabilize the arrow versus getting a last little flip off of something on the side.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Contrary to popular belief, it's ok to turn your cock fletching towards the outside instead of downward to see how everything shoots. Back up to 25 or 30 whatever with the cock fletch pointed towards your mouth and see how it shoots.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Fletchings hitting the release or the rest?
There should be a rod that would be movable to hold the cables out further.
Whisker biscuit solved all my rest problems. The arrow pulls through the whiskers as it goes and I think it really helps stabilize the arrow versus getting a last little flip off of something on the side.
The REST…facepalm: I’m glad y’all know what I’m talking about when I don’t know what I’m saying:clap:

I’ve been putting a hard helical twist on my fletchings which is probably why I like the fall away style rest……ther is no violent crashing through a wall of fibers.
Right now I’m just shooting field points and these Bloodsport arrows have no twist on the fletchings and they fly great. I put the heavy inserts in, but haven’t refletched. I guess I need to put one of these stingers on the end and send it……. I have a solid 3 blade to sling too. If I go back to a biscuit, I probably won’t twist my fletchings so much.

Contrary to popular belief, it's ok to turn your cock fletching towards the outside instead of downward to see how everything shoots. Back up to 25 or 30 whatever with the cock fletch pointed towards your mouth and see how it shoots.

I’ve rotated just enough to clear the cable, but afraid to go to far so it’s not pointing down. Thinking I’ll try this and see if it hits the rest any harder.
Probably put some lipstick on there too so I can find the contact place.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thinking I was tired on #5 cause I felt myself punch it. This is as good as I have ever shot really. I’ve had similar groups but this is only the second group with the 100 grain inserts……first pin is set at 15. I’ve shot a few times from out to 35 with good results, but need to dial in the rest of the pins.
Any preferences on 5 pin distances? It’s 65 yards from the street to my target and that is my max “fun” shot I’ll take. I know I’ll want my bottom pin there for sure. With 5 pins vs 3, I’ll use pen and paper and want them spread out a little anyway.

IMG_4184.jpeg

Last shot of the day at 35

IMG_4183.jpeg

1eyefishing

It is possible to thin your biscuit whiskers out with a pair of snips or scissors...
Focus onthe areas your fletchings pass thru...

ddd-shooter

What rest is it? Most drop away rests need to come to full height position at the last few inches of draw. If it comes up any sooner, it will remain up for too long of a time as the arrow is released and you’ll get fletching contact. I’d check that first. I would bet it’s coming up too quickly. Drop away rest manufacturers typically recommend you shoot cock vane UP (the cock vane is the odd color vane) to help with clearance.

You also cannot allow your vanes to contact your cables. How far away from the riser is your arrow when it’s on the rest? This is called “center shot”
If your rest is too close to the riser, you will get clearance issues and arrow flight issues.

You cannot do anything else to that bow until you fix your contact issues. Period.

Don’t worry about sighting in. Don’t worry about ANYTHING until your arrow stops hitting stuff on its way down range.
Then you can sight in 20,30,40,50,60 yard pins.
Then you can broad head tune.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
What rest is it? Most drop away rests need to come to full height position at the last few inches of draw. If it comes up any sooner, it will remain up for too long of a time as the arrow is released and you’ll get fletching contact. I’d check that first. I would bet it’s coming up too quickly. Drop away rest manufacturers typically recommend you shoot cock vane UP (the cock vane is the odd color vane) to help with clearance.

You also cannot allow your vanes to contact your cables. How far away from the riser is your arrow when it’s on the rest? This is called “center shot”
If your rest is too close to the riser, you will get clearance issues and arrow flight issues.

You cannot do anything else to that bow until you fix your contact issues. Period.

Don’t worry about sighting in. Don’t worry about ANYTHING until your arrow stops hitting stuff on its way down range.
This ^^^^

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

It’s a NAP Apache. I think it was coming up to soon honestly(& falling to late)and was not reset properly on the new string. I went ahead and put a whisker biscuit on it that I had. I like the feel of the fall away much better, but the arrows are flying just as well through the brushes, I must admit.
Looking from behind, the arrow lines up just barely left of dead center of the arrow resting area above the handle….if that makes sense. I also had my kid look at it since his eyes are better…..I don’t think it’s too close to the riser. He also shot it and was throwing darts! I wished he’d fall in love with it like me, it’s his bow after all!
I moved the cables over with the bar @1eyefishing mentioned. I never adjusted that before! Now my fletchings are clearing the cables! Thanks 1eye!
As far as distance goes, my top pin seems to be dead on at 15-20, next pin is hitting similar at 25-30, pin#3 seems good at 35-40, but not completely satisfied as I had a couple of low shots that we’re probably just me. I did shoot one of my new stingers at 30 yards twice and it flew just like a field tip. My other solid 3 blade also flew just as well and didn’t make any noise. These fletchings look straight so I’m rethinking the hard helical twist I’ve been using. Especially if they go through this biscuit.
As per usual, y’all are a tremendous help! I can shoot again but my routine is far from solid as I practice using anchor points I’ve never had before…….I’ll be ready come deer season!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
IMG_4187.jpeg

I moved the bar just a touch more than this

1eyefishing

Best way to judge Dead center is to look straight down through the bow wheels with the arrow pointing straigh ahead of you at 12 o'clock.You will be able to see how your arrow lines up square or not with the front of your riser.
You will have the most clearing between your veins and your cables if you put your cockfeather straight out at the 9 o'clock position... your vanes will pass thru different sections of your biscuit but still not on that stiff support area...

ddd-shooter

It’s a NAP Apache. I think it was coming up to soon honestly(& falling to late)and was not reset properly on the new string. I went ahead and put a whisker biscuit on it that I had. I like the feel of the fall away much better, but the arrows are flying just as well through the brushes, I must admit.
Looking from behind, the arrow lines up just barely left of dead center of the arrow resting area above the handle….if that makes sense. I also had my kid look at it since his eyes are better…..I don’t think it’s too close to the riser. He also shot it and was throwing darts! I wished he’d fall in love with it like me, it’s his bow after all!
I moved the cables over with the bar @1eyefishing mentioned. I never adjusted that before! Now my fletchings are clearing the cables! Thanks 1eye!
As far as distance goes, my top pin seems to be dead on at 15-20, next pin is hitting similar at 25-30, pin#3 seems good at 35-40, but not completely satisfied as I had a couple of low shots that we’re probably just me. I did shoot one of my new stingers at 30 yards twice and it flew just like a field tip. My other solid 3 blade also flew just as well and didn’t make any noise. These fletchings look straight so I’m rethinking the hard helical twist I’ve been using. Especially if they go through this biscuit.
As per usual, y’all are a tremendous help! I can shoot again but my routine is far from solid as I practice using anchor points I’ve never had before…….I’ll be ready come deer season!
Great news.
Most people sight in their pins for even yardage-20, 30, etc. This makes pin gapping easier.

notnksnemor

Your on your way.

Now, shoot an arrow with no fletching if you want to really know what your bow is doing.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Your on your way.

Now, shoot an arrow with no fletching if you want to really know what your bow is doing.
You daring me? I’ll take that dare and let you know what happens…how far?

notnksnemor

You daring me? I’ll take that dare and let you know what happens…how far?
If it looks like it's flying true, shoot it thru paper at 10 yards and see what kind of tear you get.

Caution - you are getting into "micro tuning" and it can be addictive.

:bounce: