The power of prayer

atlashunter

“something of substance to offer”?. You first, man.

Dripping with bitterness? Don’t attribute to bitterness what is easily attributable to nausea. I just don’t have a very high tolerance for your particular brand of pretension.

I hate to shatter your little ego but you are far from the first of your kind that I’ve encountered. I’ve debated atheists that had far more on the ball than you. Thing was, they just weren’t as obnoxious and such a classic case of the Dunning/Krueger effect playing out before my eyes. In that way alone are you unique.

Sorry but I cant see your sig line. Bet it’s a zinger. Something you plagiarized and passed off as your own thoughts I’m sure.

It's probably just as well for the believers here that you opt out.

WaltL1

You just earned yourself $300 worth of Communion Wafers
Receiving Communion used to horrify me. For whatever reason the taste and my taste buds just didnt get along.
I would quake in my Sunday best shoes that I was going to vomit all over the Priest in front of the whole church.
Ahhh Good memories.

atlashunter

Receiving Communion used to horrify me. For whatever reason the taste and my taste buds just didnt get along.
I would quake in my Sunday best shoes that I was going to vomit all over the Priest in front of the whole church.
Ahhh Good memories.

Was it the idea of eating human flesh and blood? Or the idea you might bring judgment on yourself if you took communion when you weren’t supposed to?

WaltL1

Was it the idea of eating human flesh and blood? Or the idea you might bring judgment on yourself if you took communion when you weren’t supposed to?
Was it the idea of eating human flesh and blood?
Never looked it that way. It was the Body of Christ. The End. No other thought process was involved.
Or the idea you might bring judgment on yourself if you took communion when you weren’t supposed to?
Once I seriously started questioning the whole organized religion thing, I stopped receiving Communion. Not because I was "rebelling" but because I wasnt in the correct "frame of mind"/state of grace to receive it.
To be honest though, towards the end, there were times I received Communion when technically I shouldn't have.
It was strictly the taste/consistency. Just one of those things where the second it hits your tongue your taste buds/body says NO! I dont want this! Totally involuntary.

atlashunter

Never looked it that way. It was the Body of Christ. The End. No other thought process was involved.

Once I seriously started questioning the whole organized religion thing, I stopped receiving Communion. Not because I was "rebelling" but because I wasnt in the correct "frame of mind"/state of grace to receive it.
To be honest though, towards the end, there were times I received Communion when technically I shouldn't have.
It was strictly the taste/consistency. Just one of those things where the second it hits your tongue your taste buds/body says NO! I dont want this! Totally involuntary.

That’s interesting. I asked about the eating flesh thing because I guess for Catholics it’s more literal. I never knew that until a few years ago.

WaltL1

That’s interesting. I asked about the eating flesh thing because I guess for Catholics it’s more literal. I never knew that until a few years ago.
Yes, it was believed to literally be the Body of Christ.
No, it wasnt translated to "Im eating flesh".
That kind of thought process just doesnt happen when you are well indoctrinated ;)

FrChs28

Faith: is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Just my two cents. Stay well.....

Israel

BANNED
Yes, it was believed to literally be the Body of Christ.
No, it wasnt translated to "Im eating flesh".
That kind of thought process just doesnt happen when you are well indoctrinated ;)
When I was a child it was not unusual to earn a good chastising (good sometimes meaning contact) if there was any disdain shown the meal. My dad was quick to recognize and remind us kids of our mother's labors in preparation. To despise the meal was by extension a despising of the preparer.

Of course we kids had no sense of that...we just liked what we liked, disliked what we disliked and never saw it as any reflection of our esteem of mom. Did we "like" that mostly she cooked with my dad in mind...of dinners made for his return from work? Were we more delighted when there was an intersection of all our "likes"?

But dad had a point. I didn't see it then. Couldn't. Along with "you kids have no idea of what it is to be hungry". He was right about that too. To despise the fruit of someone's labor...is not a stretch by any means, of holding that laborer in low esteem.

And the food. The "raw" material. That wasn't delivered free to my household. My dad's time at work (did I ever really consider he might have preferred to sit at a bar with friends...or be fishing himself, instead?) was translated into $$$ and thence $$$ to food. And heat, and mortgage paid, and toys, and beds, and clothes, and blankets, and fishing trips, and medical expenses...etc...

It is not a stretch for any thinking person to see the consumption of his time and labor at work that so translated to $$$ for care...was a consumption of his life...and in a sense only a non thinking person would deny. Children are stupid though.

They come thinking all is set up for them...with little in appreciation...thinking that parents must just automatically "like" to labor, their lot assigned and always preferred, and that parents are rarely seen except in hindsight as "going without" for the sake of the child/children.

The child's normal...gets an education though...well, that is, unless he is chosen to remain among the stupid. Maybe even as lesson.

Yes, there are "bad" parents who resent the drags upon them made by the fruits of their own pleasure seeking. And, they build this resentment into their own.

But, there are some who accept it as right (and yes! some even preferred) consequence and make no bones or bellyaching about it.

You know...not once did I ever hear my father (in all his reaction against lack of appreciation) ever mention himself at all, or even vaguely hint at his primacy in the matter.

He never once brought up what I have later come to see as his own willing sacrifices on our behalf as in "I work hard for this money to buy this food!" No, never.

But any touching of my mother's efforts with either despite or lack of due appreciation he was quite fierce about.

I think he appreciated my mother more than he thought of himself. That "part" of his life, given and eaten by me has taken some time to grow to appreciation...so I cannot despise the slow witted or stupid.

Some eat without any thought. Some wait.

Last edited: