The Rifleman

Capt Quirk

It's Saturday morning, and AMC runs the old Rifleman show all morning. So I'm watching, and start wondering about the large loop lever on his rifle. Do they have a real purpose, aside from fancy levering acrobatics?

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
I've never seen any real use, but what do I know. :rofl:

I've always heard that the large loop was for being able to lever it one handed while on horseback. I love that show and the actor, Chuck Connors.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Hollywood`s first attempt at a designer rifle.

nkbigdog

It's Saturday morning, and AMC runs the old Rifleman show all morning. So I'm watching, and start wondering about the large loop lever on his rifle. Do they have a real purpose, aside from fancy levering acrobatics?

I believe that was Chuck Conner. John Wayne also had one he used it in many of his movies Rooster Cogburn. Another post here mentioned recycling while riding a horse. He did that in the Valley scene when charging those 4 bad guys..

SASS249

Like Nick said. Large loop has no real historic basis. I think some of the rifles used in the far north had slightly larger loops for use with mittens or gloves.

The large loop as we see it in the Rifleman was created by Yacuma Canut for John Wayne to use in the original Stagecoach. No real purpose, and if you actually try you will see that it is slower than a normal lever to use. However, it really looks cool.

Marlin_444

The Lever Gun used by Chuck Conners in the Rifleman was special made to rapid chambering of a round and fire as the lever was cocked on the down stroke and fire on the upstroke...

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/rifleman_demos.htm

RiflemansRifle.jpg

Rifleman.jpg

I am a fan of fanning...

I use the Large Lever for cold weather (gloved hand) purposes...

Here is "Shorty" -

03_15-1-1-1.jpg

This is what Shorty and I did on a cold January 22, 2011 morning -

03_15-1.jpg

Capt Quirk

Yes, Chuck Connors was the Rifleman. Met him back about 3o years ago, when he was opening a steakhouse in Melbourne Fl. As for the big loop, Steve McQueen also had one on a sawed off rifle, I think it was Wanted.

So, the loop itself is all Hollywood?

Capt Quirk

The Lever Gun used by Chuck Conners in the Rifleman was special made to rapid chambering of a round and fire as the lever was cocked on the down stroke and fire on the upstroke...

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/rifleman_demos.htm

"How much does it cost to own a Rifleman's rifle? The rifles I produce are made from Winchester copies from Europe, and are priced at $2,395.00 (plus $85.00 shipping and handling, and insurance). "

Wow... My wallet just had a stroke!

returntoarchery

I got a Rifleman's Rifle for Christmas in either 1959 or 1960. I was one proud puppy. It'd go through a roll of caps in a heartbeat. :bounce:

Yep John Wayne, Steve McQueen, and Chuck Connors all sported loop rifles.

Capt Quirk

Was anybody else a kid in the early 70's? Around '71 or '72, they came out with Tin Can Alley, an electric rifle shot light, which knocked soda cans off a little plastic fence thing. Big lever and everything, just like Chuck Connors' :) It may have even been endorsed by him, or at least his likeness.

georgia_home

I think rossi is trying to cash in on both models. A few months back they had a coversheet and some articles in on of the NRA mags.

one hogman

The " wanted Dead or Alive" sawed off was called a Mare's Leg, Rossi and others are making them, the large lever loop hole is so you can spin the gun[ rotate it 360 defrees in your hands while cocking it, not very useful but mostly for show, try that with a standard lever and you will have some broken fingers.

cmshoot

You'll see some of the custom "Alaska guide" big bore lever actions with larger than normal loops, though not quite as big as The Duke's or The Rifleman's. Like the man said above, this was to facilitate use while wearing heavy gloves or shooting mittens.

jmoser

You'll see some of the custom "Alaska guide" big bore lever actions with larger than normal loops, though not quite as big as The Duke's or The Rifleman's. Like the man said above, this was to facilitate use while wearing heavy gloves or shooting mittens.

yes - I put a big loop on my Guide Gun. See my Avatar and remember we all don't hunt in 70 degree weather . . . ;)

The standard marlin loop is barely big enough for my bare hand - just got a 1894C in .357, would love the big loop but only option is to mail my lever + $175 + round trip S&H to Alaska for modification by WWG . . . . no drop ins available yet for that model.

If I recall correctly, the large lever model 92 Winchester was introduced to Hollywood by a young John Wayne in "Stagecoach" back in 1939. The large loop was needed for the Duke to be able to get his rather large hand to work the action when he would 'twirl' the rifle to chamber a round. It started there and has been copied numerous times since.

KathyMcKeown

Chuck Connors in Melbourne, FL

Yes, Chuck Connors was the Rifleman. Met him back about 3o years ago, when he was opening a steakhouse in Melbourne Fl. As for the big loop, Steve McQueen also had one on a sawed off rifle, I think it was Wanted.

So, the loop itself is all Hollywood?

I remember that place on US 1...he took my roomate and I to dinner atthe English Pub. Do you remember the name of that ''saloon''?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I believe that was Chuck Conner. John Wayne also had one he used it in many of his movies Rooster Cogburn. Another post here mentioned recycling while riding a horse. He did that in the Valley scene when charging those 4 bad guys..

He used that rifle in Rio Bravo also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Useless trivia tidbit: Chuck Conner was a NBA basketball player before he was the rifleman. He is generally credited with being the first NBA player to shatter a backboard while dunking a basketball.