Thoughts On Boat Storage

ryork

Going to have find somewhere to put my boat in a few weeks. The wife and I are now empty nesters and she retired early from teaching. We are selling our house in GA and will at least for the time being be taking up residence at a property we have in NE AL. Probably get something in NW GA again when the land prices take a turn south. It might become permanent depending on the next gubernatorial election............ Anyhow, the issue is that I can't take the boat there. It is on the brow area of Lookout Mountain and the driveway is too steep and has the textbook definition of a hairpin curve in it. The curve is such my F-150 will barely make it. It is a 20 ft bay boat and simply will never make it up or down that drive. I'm considering getting a covered wet slip at either Guntersville (40 minutes away) or Nickajack (50 min or so away). I kind of like the thought of just getting there, getting in and going fishing or whatever. I have always been incredibly picky about leaving it out in the weather, uncovered etc. It's been pretty much garage kept every day except for a little bit the last two years. Was wanting to get some feedback, both positive and negative, from anyone that has a kept a boat in a wet slip. Any recommendations/issues based on your experience that might not be obvious etc. Also, any opinions on either of those lakes vs the other as I don't have a lot of experience on either one of them. Thanks in advance!

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
If you want to fish more than one lake, look for ground storage on the trailer.
If you decide on a home lake, look for dry storage for the boat and storage for the trailer.

Had my 22' Boston Whaler in covered slip with lift on Alltoona for several years.
PERFECT...except had to hang a tennis wind screen over it due to spider droppings.
Marina was not allowed to spray.

Mexican Squealer

I keep my pontoon in a dry stack at Oconee. One call and it’s in the water fueled up. Drop it off and walk away when finished. Expensive but convenient and the boat isn’t left in the water. I keep my saltwater boat in the water. Drag it out twice a year for a good clean up. In the water option isn’t the best…but fresh water vs salt is obviously apples to oranges…congrats on the move buddy!

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
It's going to boil down to your pockets.

How much do you want to pay to baby your boat.

ryork

I keep my pontoon in a dry stack at Oconee. One call and it’s in the water fueled up. Drop it off and walk away when finished. Expensive but convenient and the boat isn’t left in the water. I keep my saltwater boat in the water. Drag it out twice a year for a good clean up. In the water option isn’t the best…but fresh water vs salt is obviously apples to oranges…congrats on the move buddy!

That would work too, thought about it. This might be a dumb question, how do you keep the trolling motor batteries charged in one of those stack set ups?

Mexican Squealer

That’s a good question! I take mine off with the quick release and leave it in the boat. I don’t do a ton of bass fishing and usually just run the motor to recharge my batteries. I bet the marina will be able to provide an easy solution though.

Liquid nails

A covered storage here local has power available to anything in it as long as it’s low power draw. Charging batteries, ect. They don’t allow 240v so people can run their ac on the cabin cruisers. Better be careful leaving electronics and bait tanks in there. Some grow legs.

Better yet, sell the boat and meet me at the ramp. Problem solved. ?

ryork

A covered storage here local has power available to anything in it as long as it’s low power draw. Charging batteries, ect. They don’t allow 240v so people can run their ac on the cabin cruisers. Better be careful leaving electronics and bait tanks in there. Some grow legs.

Better yet, sell the boat and meet me at the ramp. Problem solved. ?

I would definitely tag along with you! I’ve had multiple offers on the boat in the last year or so that were equal to or more than what I paid for it in 2013. I’ve thought about it, but just can’t let it go!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d say as much as you fish it would be fine !

Cool Hand Luke

If I were ever gonna put another boat in a wet slip, it would have to have a lift. Algae growth is terrible, then you gotta deal with the spider poop.

My lake has a small marina that allows lifts in the slips then in winter I use a boat storage where they have a huge building and keep it inside out of the weather. Best of both worlds for us, its in Arkansas but you may find a similar solution near you. You can see their prices online and what the building looks like, I would bet if you are near a body of water you could find similar.

horseshoe lake storage

For your situation, covered storage on trailer is the best option practically and money wise. Wet slips are high maintenance even with a boat lift i.e., spider poop is a pain to remove).

Big7

The Oracle
To answer your initial question:

I would not recommend a wet slip for anything over a few weeks. Algae growth on the hull will start pretty quick.
Me either.

I always kept mine on a trailer under a carport or fitted cover. Even a fitted cover is not ideal.

Been there and done that.