Tiller seat placement??

hopper

I have a fiberglass 16ft boat with 20hp and rear bench. I typically sit off center right and operate the tiller with my left hand.I bought a pedestal seat set up and want to install it in that position. The seat will swivel and I would run the boat without the pedestal extension so the seat sits low on the bench.
My question is should I install dead center (width wise) or try and have the seat hang over the bench as much as possible? thinking this would alow a bit more movement left and right before my knees hit the bench. Since this is a permanent install I was hoping someone here had any insight.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I've had to move my seats a couple of times to find a good spot, the best way is to find a position where you can swivel the seat back out of the way when you need to make a sharp left turn. Sit on the seat without bolting it down and test different locations.

hopper

GTMODawg

BANNED
I have mine to the right and as far toward the edge as space allowed. I have a 60 hp tiller and it can get tiring on longer winding courses. I have one on the left also but my electronics are on the right so I usually drive form the right. My boat is 60 inches wide at the bottom of the transom though so I could sit on the gunwale and the boat would float mostly level. Narrower boats probably need to be closer to center. I also built a set back in my rear bench so the seats are further forward by a foot than the bench would allow. Mine doesn’t actually have a bench only 2 boxes at the back and a deck up front. I built the bench

Latest posts