Total Depravity

Randy

Tn_Extreme said:
Randy said:

And when it comes to using scripture to back up your beliefs, nobody is better at that than Jehovas Witnesses. Does that mean they are always right? (Nothing against Jehovas Witnesses, they are well studied people,
If they were well studied they wouldnt be in a cult and using scriptures out of context to promote their cult. JMHO.

You have yet to show us where a baby is born "saved" or "without sin"....

A few more verses to chew on...

Job 14:1 ¶ Man [that is] born of a woman [is] of few days, and full of trouble.

There is also a verse in the Bible that says we are to mourn when were born and rejoice when we die.

Sorry Tn-Extreme, I can not produce such scripture. I am apparently not as well school in religion, but neither have you shown me scripture that prooves otherwise. All of the ones you pulled are out of context IMO.

SBG

Randy said:
I agree 100%. All man will sin. But I still do not see where a baby is born with sin in his heart. Further, if this is the case (I will assume for argument that it is) this baby is born a sinner and having never been able to repent is doomed. Sin is in the world not in the heart.

The thing is Randy is that I can show you what I believe with scripture. You believe something that is neither taught in scripture, or is the belief of the vast majority of 'orthodox' Christianity.

SBG

Randy said:
I agree 100%. All man will sin. But I still do not see where a baby is born with sin in his heart. Further, if this is the case (I will assume for argument that it is) this baby is born a sinner and having never been able to repent is doomed. Sin is in the world not in the heart.

The baby is born with a sin nature and will commit sin. The baby is indeed doomed to condemnation.

Randy

SBG said:
The thing is Randy is that I can show you what I believe with scripture. You believe something that is neither taught in scripture, or is the belief of the vast majority of 'orthodox' Christianity.

Nobody said I was right! You can defend what you say in scripture (if I also read it the way you do) but you can not disprove my belief either.

It is not about proof. Christians base a lot of their beliefs in faith because some things can not be prooved.

One other thing about this issue, as neither you nor I are babies, this really does not affect either of us and will not keep either of us from heaven no matter which one is right.

If you really want to talk about scriptures, I believe there is one that says do not argue over petty issues. In fact that is probably why most of the preachers here keep their mouths shut. But you asked so we are arguing....discussing it.

Tn_Extreme

Banned
Randy said:
Nobody said I was right! You can defend what you say in scripture (if I also read it the way you do) but you can not disprove my belief either.

It is not about proof. Christians base a lot of their beliefs in faith because some things can not be prooved.

One other thing about this issue, as neither you nor I are babies, this really does not affect either of us and will not keep either of us from heaven no matter which one is right.

If you really want to talk about scriptures, I believe there is one that says do not argue over petty issues. In fact that is probably why most of the preachers here keep their mouths shut. But you asked so we are arguing....discussing it.

Several people on this topic have posted straight Bible scripture which blatantly says ALL men are born with a sin nature and are not born "saved" or in favour with God. and you have chosen to step over the Bible, over Gid;s word, and choose to believe something that is not true and not consistant with the Bible. The silence of a few preachers on this subject is a moot point. I would hope most God called Preachers would have more important things to do than argue with someone on the internet.In factm the time wasted typing on this forum would is time we ALL should have been devling and studying God;s word, RIGHTLY DIVIDING it so we wont be led astray.

Randy

Sorry Extreme,
I guess I need to correct myself. SBG ask who believes. I merly said I did not. I guess I am condemned too along with that baby?

Don't take it so personal Extreme. It is MY belief. You do not have to agree with it nor defend/proove yourself.

Randy

SBG said:
The baby is indeed doomed to condemnation.

You mean condemned to He!!? All babies go to He!!!

Tn_Extreme

Banned
Randy said:

Randy, Why is this so hard for you to understand.

A newborn child, while, as the Bible teaches, has a inherited sin nature and separatrion from God isnt condemned to pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie if he dies before he has heard, understood, and rejected the Gospel.

Nowhere in the Bible will you find a example of a child being sent to heck.

You are saying that we are born with favour of God and in essence, SAVED..... THEN we turn from God and have to be saved again. That is taught NOWHERE in the Bible. You can believe it all you want but it isnt Biblical, Christ doesnt teach it, it isnt true.

And YES...this is my last post on this topic. :yawn:

redwards

With regard to every human being born into sin, and the eternal condition of a baby's soul what is the significance of the following scripture? Especially the italicized verses (Psalm 51:5 & 2 Samuel 12:23).

Psalm 51:1-6
1 Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity And cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me.
4 Against You, You only, I have sinned And done what is evil in Your sight, So that You are justified when You speak And blameless when You judge.
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.
6 Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.

"Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®,

Copyright © 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995
by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission."

2 Samuel 12:12-25
12 `Indeed you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, and under F128 the sun.' "
13 Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has taken away your sin; you shall not die.
14 "However, because by this deed you have given occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born to you shall surely die."
15 So Nathan went to his house.
Loss of a Child

Then the LORD struck the child that Uriah's widow bore to David, so that he was very sick.​

16 David therefore inquired of God for the child; and David fasted and went and lay all night on the ground.
17 The elders of his household stood beside him in order to raise him up from the ground, but he was unwilling and would not eat food with them. 18 Then it happened on the seventh day that the child died. And the servants of David were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they said, "Behold, while the child was still alive, we spoke to him and he did not listen to our voice. How then can we tell him that the child is dead, since he might do himself harm!"
19 But when David saw that his servants were whispering together, David perceived that the child was dead; so David said to his servants, "Is the child dead?" And they said, "He is dead."
20 So David arose from the ground, washed, anointed himself, and changed his clothes; and he came into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he came to his own house, and when he requested, they set food before him and he ate.​

21 Then his servants said to him, "What is this thing that you have done? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept; but when the child died, you arose and ate food."
22 He said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, `Who knows, the LORD may be gracious to me, that the child may live.'

23 "But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."
Solomon Born

24 Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and went in to her and lay with her; and she gave birth to a son, and he named him Solomon. Now the LORD loved him
25 and sent word through Nathan the prophet, and he named him Jedidiah for the LORD'S sake.​

"Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®,
Copyright © 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995
by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission."

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Randy said:
Randy believe it or not I think I almost understand what your thinking, at least I think I do.
For starters, NO, babies are not condemned to he!!, I know that was not what you were implying to with what I quoted, you were answering someone else.

If I understand you right, your under the impression that the child is born sinless and at the proper age has to make the decision to accept God or not and then if he rejects God that is the point he either becomes sinner or saint. Otherwise, he would be condemned if he died before he reached that age to know God?

At least that is what I read into your post.

But the fact is, a baby is born into this world in sin, not saved. He may not be a killer, thief, rapist, robber or even have the slightest hate in his heart at all but still born into sin. It may be one of the finest humans alive and pure and honest just like alot of good people we all know. But it will still have to one day make that decision and that baby is protected by God and not held accountable until it is old enough to understand to make a decision to serve God or not. What ever that age may be depends on the maturity of that individual child. But as good as he is or as bad as he is, when he gets to that age, he has an option to be for God or against God, then he will have to answer to that decision. Although not held accountable yet, still born into sin.

Randy

Spotlite you are close. Actually at some point he decides to sin, even though up to that point he has probably been taught by his parents that it is wrong. At this point he understands what he has done is wromg and a sin and further he knows how to rectify the situation. Should he choose not to follow God he is lost, she he choose to follow God he is saved. But until he sins and understands what it is he is not doomed to He!!. At least in my belief. SBG said he was condemned. I assume he meant to He!!?

Rewards, your post brings that italicized scripture, which was previously quoted by Extreme, into text. The person who wrote that is say he was conceived in sin. As in maybe his mother was not married or not faithful or what ever. I don't know the exact situation of why he was conceived in sin. Not all conception is sin. At least I hope not.

redwards

Randy said:
......Rewards, your post brings that italicized scripture, which was previously quoted by Extreme, into text. The person who wrote that is say he was conceived in sin. As in maybe his mother was not married or not faithful or what ever. I don't know the exact situation of why he was conceived in sin. Not all conception is sin. At least I hope not.

Randy,
Psalm 51 is categorized as a Davidic Psalm; generally accepted that it was written by King David.
No, we don't know exactly what he means in his writing, but the Holman Christian Standard Bible brings a clearer statement of the verse.

Psalm 51:5
5 Indeed, I was guilty [when I]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. was born; I was sinful when my mother conceived me.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®,
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission.
Notice who David stated was sinful. Not his mother, but he....
and no, all conception is not sin. God would not have instituted marriage if it were sinful. And further, God says this in Gen 1:28.
28 God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it. Rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, and every creature that crawls[13] Lit and all scurrying animals that scurry on the earth.”
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®,
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission.
Just my take on the subject. For whatever that is worth!

PWalls

The fact that I know my three children were born with inherited sin from Adam makes me a better father. I have concern and love for them that makes me take them to Church on Wednesday night, Sunday morning and Sunday night. Concern and love that motivates me to read scripture to them and pray with them. I knew that while they were in the grace period I had to be vigilent to educate them in the Word and raise them right so that one day when the Holy Spirit pricked their heart with the knowledge of the sinful nature and their need for an acceptance of Christ, they were ready. My eldest two have accepted Jesus. :cool: :cool: . My youngest is still too young, but one day he will realize he needs Jesus. ::; ::;

The day all three of my children have accepted Christ and are assured of their salvation will be a glorious day in my household.

Randy

PWalls said:
I knew that while they were in the grace period I had to be vigilent to educate them in the Word and raise them right so that one day when the Holy Spirit pricked their heart with the knowledge of the sinful nature and their need for an acceptance of Christ, they were ready. ................
The day all three of my children have accepted Christ and are assured of their salvation will be a glorious day in my household.

Can you tell me what you mean by this? Is there some grace period somewhere in the scripture that I have not read about?
Are you saying that until they accept Christ no matter that age they are not assured of their salvation?

SBG

Randy,

I hope that my brief response was not misunderstood...but it appears that it may have been.

There has been plenty of scripture given that proves ALL are born with a sin debt. That little baby that seems to be innocent, is in fact, already counted as unrighteous. And because of their guilt, they are already condemned.

I didn't mean to imply that a baby that might die before attaining such an age that it can make a conscious decision to reject or accept Christ will go to he11 if they reject salvation: He will not. But, your previous posts seemed to go further than a baby. It seemed to me that you think that someone can live to a certain age without sinning: They cannot.

PWalls

Randy said:
Can you tell me what you mean by this? Is there some grace period somewhere in the scripture that I have not read about?
Are you saying that until they accept Christ no matter that age they are not assured of their salvation?

Age of Accountability is the common phrase. When a child reaches the age in which they are mature enough to realize sin and are then held accountable for that. Up until that point, they fall under the mercy and grace of God. After that they are on the path to He!! and can only come off of it by accepting Jesus. That "age" depends on the child and their level of maturity.

R Smith

Randy said:
This world is full of sin. But I do not think we are born with a sinful nature.

Randy,
I am going to butt in here and mention Ephesions 2:3
"Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.." from the Authorized King James

And....
All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its deisres and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath." from the NIV

Verse 4 "But, because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions---- it is by grace you have been saved.

You want a picture of salvation, look at Ezekiel 37. Many equate this to the restoration of Iseal. It is also a perfect picture of salvation. We are the dead and dry bones! They did not make any choice to come together, put on flesh, put on skin and then take breath, it was the Spirit of God that moved on them and made them do it. The elect are called the elect (even Jesus himself used the term elect for believers in Matthew 24:22) for a reason, they are chosen by God. 1 Peter 2:9 "But ye are a chosen generatio, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a pecurliar people;"

I grates against everything we are taught, especially as Americans. I am self made, I am basically good, I am the master of my own destiny, I chose life over death (spiritually), I,I,I! It is not about I, it is about God. Our purpose on this earth is to glorify God!

Dixie Dawg

Randy, I wouldn't stress too much about this if I were you. You will never get the answer you are looking for from Christianity, because the answer would have to make a hypocracy of the Christian faith. First, the NT says that NO ONE gets to heaven except through Jesus. NO ONE would include babies. So, using logic, that would mean that babies who die before they are able to know how to accept Jesus would go to he ll, if there was a he ll like Christians believe. Which is ridiculous... unless the god you believe in is unmerciful and cruel. Mine is not.

Anyway... while reading some of these posts, it occurred to me... in some ways this made me think of babies that are born to mothers who have AIDS. Just because the mother has AIDS does not mean the baby is born with it. And that's a BLOOD disease. Something to think about... ?