Traditional Archers

strothershwacker

Yall have my utmost respect! In the past week I've damaged 3 of the 6 (cheap) arrows learninghow to shoot a recurve. I couldn't imagine going after a live animal. Just wanted to let yall know.
Thank you
Stick with it man! It gets better and very rewarding and worth the effort. Kilt my 1st trad deer this year. Just a lil' doe but I wouldn't trade it for nothing. My compounds for sale!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Keep after it. Don't worry too much about accuracy up front. Work on form and release and get help with those from another archer, Internet, or Books. Accuracy will follow with practice.

JohnL89

I'm definitely going to stick with it. Its extremely fun. Does anyone know of any good, cheaper arrows? Since I keep damaging mine.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Good and cheap are two different things. Arrows that fit your bow are very important. Big jim can hook you up there as well.

oldfella1962

How are you damaging your arrows? Are you hitting them with another arrow, or is your target backstop made out of a hard material?

JohnL89

I just have a 18in block target. The arrows will shoot over the target and the fletching will rip off. There is no backstop, just grass.

Pointpuller

Get a large Field Archery Target, bag type. At least 36"X36". I was in your shoes 5 years ago. Its a pretty large learning curve but stick with it. The rewards are like no other. I would advise to shoot 15yds or less for the first 1,000 or so shots. When you start to get the feel of things you can back up slowly. The most important thing Ive learned when transitioning from the target to a deer is you have to concentrate on a particular spot on the animal. I missed a bunch my first couple years and each time I would realize why. I was shooting at the front part of the deer and not picking out an exact spot. Hope this helps.

JohnL89

45#@28 I draw 28.5 to my anchor point. Thanks for all the replies. It's my son's first bday on the 22nd and Christmas 3 days after. Money is tight right now, that's the only reason I was trying to take the cheap route. My wife says its turning into an obsession.

Todd Cook

Go to the local feed store and get two bales of the cheapest hay they have. Put an old rug or a scrap of carpet on the face of them and for $10 you can have a pretty decent target. If you put them off the ground on a pallet they'll last a good while.

hunter rich

Check out BullDog Archery Targets. They have some awesome targets with a lifetime warranty. Google bulldog targets for more info.

:cheers:

devolve

What part of town are you in John? I have some feathers and can refletch some for you as well. I’m in Jasper. Todd isn’t very far from me as well. Maybe we can all get together one weekend and hook you up.

JohnL89

What part of town are you in John? I have some feathers and can refletch some for you as well. I’m in Jasper. Todd isn’t very far from me as well. Maybe we can all get together one weekend and hook you up.
That sounds awesome. Unfortunately my off days are usually during the week except for this sunday. I'll stay in touch. Thank yall for being helpful.

sawtooth

Your wife says it’s an obsession eh? If it’s not, it will be. My advice to you if you are wrecking arrows is 1) stop missing the target :)- That sounds like a SA answer but it’s really not. Get up there where you can hit it. 2) spend a little money and get an inexpensive fletching jig. ( you’ll probably need it down the road anyhoo).

JohnL89

Your wife says it’s an obsession eh? If it’s not, it will be. My advice to you if you are wrecking arrows is 1) stop missing the target :)- That sounds like a SA answer but it’s really not. Get up there where you can hit it. 2) spend a little money and get an inexpensive fletching jig. ( you’ll probably need it down the road anyhoo).
Ha, I'm definitely good at missing with a trad bow. Now that I have my arm guard I'll be able to focus more on form and accuracy. Would it be worth spending the money on a good fletching jig, Or are they all about the same?

devolve

Would it be worth spending the money on a good fletching jig, Or are they all about the same?
you will get different opinions on that one. I’ve had a jojan for well over 20 years with never an issue. I know a lot of guys that have the bitzenburger and say the same thing. I would imagine there are a ton of quality options out there. Last chance archery makes an awesome one if you really want to spend some coin.