Trough Question

Todd E

I am not new to troughs. Nor, what has happened. But cost of feed has me wondering.

Existing trough. But this go around.....high dollar feed. Problem is that about 5 or 6 coons sit in trough on feed each night eating. The bucks just aren't hitting it like I thought they would. I'm fully aware that there are currently other mast in the woods for them to consume.

My question is are the coons a deterrent?
If so, im going to free choice gravity for the expensive feed.

Twiggbuster

Interesting thread. I’m new to troughs, inherited one left by past members. I have yet to get pic of one eating out of it. Only if I scooped some on the ground. But hogs get most, the main reason I’m trying one. Got pics of coons climbing in it and saw spooky doe moving towards it from 150 yards away. Beginning to wonder if it’s worth fooling with. Took camera out to use in different areas . Put in before bow opener.

ucfireman

Coons will get to the gravity feeders too. If they have a way to climb to the feeding ort they will. Squirrels too.
When I was feeding I had coons that would camp out too, opossums too. Deer still fed out of them but not as much I don't think if the coons would not have been there.
I got an idea of how to build one that should be coon and squirrel proof. I may build it in the next few months, put a camera on it and see.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Either trapping or a high 46-48" center support trough feeder.Most Texas feeders are center support for the op,s problem.

Ihunt

A few dog proofs with a marshmellow in the bottom = no coon problem. When they slow down on the marshmellows, use tuna.