Troughs vs Gravity Feeders

I’m starting a protein feed program this spring (125lbs per week in each feeder) along with clover in the food plots and our fall food plots with wheat, oats, etc.

We have never had troughs or gravity feeders so I’m wondering what will work best. Hogs aren’t really a big problem on our place but we do have our fair share of coons! Any experience or tips would be great. I was planning on the troughs because we can get them fairly cheap but thinking gravity may be the way to go cause of the coons. Just worry about deer actually going and feeding out of them. Thanks

shdw633

Use trough feeders, your body will thank you for not having to hoist 50 pound bags up over your head every time you have to fill them

shdw633

Consider Antler Boost for your protein from January through August as it is waterproof and won't disintegrate if it gets wet, plus varmints and turkeys are not fond of eating it but the deer hammer it and it's high in protein and lower in cost than pelleted protein feed. I used in this summer and loved it.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Did it take your deer a while to start feeding out of em or did they catch on pretty quick?
I just put the troughs where I had already been feeding corn or had mineral sights and they literally tooK to them over night . Also I’m pretty sure they already knew what they were from neighbors

I just put the troughs where I had already been feeding corn or had mineral sights and they literally tooK to them over night . Also I’m pretty sure they already knew what they were from neighbors
Nice. I’m gonna go ahead and get these troughs out soon and get em somewhat used to coming to them with corn before i start the protein program in the spring.

Ihunt

Make sure to make the roof high enough on the trough that a buck can get in there easily without bumping their antlers. We have one that only little bucks, and very few of them, will eat out of. Very sure it’s because of the low roof height.

TomC

Cost aside would you build a trough or buy a Banks??? Was looking at the 300# Banks and adding one of those squirrel / coon baffles although not sure how effective they are.

Cost aside would you build a trough or buy a Banks??? Was looking at the 300# Banks and adding one of those squirrel / coon baffles although not sure how effective they are.
If i got a banks, it would just be the 150lb feeder. Cheaper and would hold the 125lbs I’m putting out per week (assuming the eat it all)

Last edited:

Ugahunter2013

Why doesn't anybody use gravity? I dont use protein but i like the fact that moultrie makes a snap on gravity attachment for their feeders.

Dbender

Troughs need a big top to keep rain out. My tops are 4 ft bigger than trough all the way around. They can hold 400 lbs of whatever and never get wet. Bottom edge of roof tin is 5'6" from ground and top of trough is 30". Mine are built from scraps so just cost me time to.build them. I'd build them stout so they will last.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201001-071715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-071715_Gallery.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20201001-071315_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-071315_Gallery.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 43

Addicted to Antlers

Planning to buy 600 gravity feeders and one trough. I heard you got to maintain the trough after the coons or possum gets in it. You have to clean it out.

The 600 pound should last 2 months till a refill is needed.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I’ve used both. The main problem with troughs is they are empty so fast. I don’t run feeders at all anymore because it was like ringing the dinner bell for hogs. Since I quit running feeders I don’t have the hog problem I had.

Long Cut

I’d recommend buying some raccoon traps as well. They eat Buck Muscle just as much as corn. If you care about your turkey and quail buy a couple traps. Plus they run deer off my trough and gravity feeders.