TV antenna lesson I thought I'd share

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Not a question but something I've learned since installing a very nice TV antenna on my roof several years ago. The manufacturers recommend using a dielectric grease on the threads of the connections to improve water repellency and to make it easy to disconnect in the future. When I installed it originally, I accidentally got some of the grease on the center copper wire of the cable when I installed the preamp. This caused some connection issues until I figured out what happened.
Last week one of the local thunderstorms caused enough static discharge to damage the preamp despite it being grounded so I replaced it today. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the connecter before carefully applying the dielectric grease without getting any on the center wire. Just a simple precaution to save you a lot of headache if you ever install an antenna yourself.

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
TV not that important nowadays.

Artfuldodger

I thought Di-electric grease would let the electricity flow through it like on car light bulbs, etc. It does seem ironic or against my brain to smear grease on something I'm wanting current to go through.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I thought Di-electric grease would let the electricity flow through it like on car light bulbs, etc. It does seem ironic or against my brain to smear grease on something I'm wanting current to go through.
Yes that's what I would have thought too but I think the key is not to get it directly on the surfaces conducting the current or in the case of an antenna, the signal. The voltage of a preamplifier is very low so that extra little bit of resistance may be enough to prevent a good signal.

natureman

It is really good for waterproofing around connections. I accidently cut my underground phone line which I only use for internet. ATT had a plastic device that goes around the splice that is full of the grease. Has held for going on 5 years now. Also don't neglect the power of a TV antenna. They are still in vogue. I am out in Cumming and can get over 14 channels. That plus Amazon Prime and I am good to go. Here is my DIY setup which includes a grounding wire to rod.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 45

Lukikus2

That's a good analysis. I was wondering if it makes a difference in a 12v system and a no volt system. The antenna has no voltage to penetrate through the grease?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
It is really good for waterproofing around connections. I accidently cut my underground phone line which I only use for internet. ATT had a plastic device that goes around the splice that is full of the grease. Has held for going on 5 years now. Also don't neglect the power of a TV antenna. They are still in vogue. I am out in Cumming and can get over 14 channels. That plus Amazon Prime and I am good to go. Here is my DIY setup which includes a grounding wire to rod.
That's a nice Yagi antenna, pre-amp, and ground block set up. We did the same thing in getting a directional antenna. With a Roku and 48 channels over the air, we've got all we want.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
That's a good analysis. I was wondering if it makes a difference in a 12v system and a no volt system. The antenna has no voltage to penetrate through the grease?
The preamp that boosts the signal is only 5 volts so considering the voltage loss of 30 plus feet of cable, a little grease must be enough to prevent a good signal if it gets on the center copper conductor.

Latest posts