UGA Hopes SEC Takes Stand on Transfer of Dismissed Players

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Article link

Twice this decade UGA has dismissed a player for some sort of inappropriate interaction with a female and twice those individuals ended up playing for other SEC teams. In the case of former quarterback Zach Mettenberger, it worked out OK for both player and team (LSU). But for Jonathan Taylor and Alabama, not so much.

Jonathan Taylor has been dismissed from both UGA and Alabama due to accusations of domestic violence.
Taylor was dismissed from Alabama in March after he stood accused a second time of domestic violence. That offense – even though later withdrawn by his accuser — earned him a dismissal from the university, which had made special exceptions for his admission based on felony charges back in Athens. Taylor will face those charges next month.

Georgia is sponsoring a proposal at the SEC Spring Meetings in Destin this week that would prevent players with circumstances like Taylor’s from transferring to other SEC schools in the future. According to UGA Athletic Director Greg McGarity, anyone accused of “serious misconduct,” ie: sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking or any forms of physical violence, would not be considered for transfer.

McGarity told the Athens Banner-Herald that he hopes the proposal will be taken under consideration in Destin this week to help “avoid situations in the future … for the integrity of the SEC.”

Personally, I've been wanting to see this for a while and hope the rule passes. I know you FSU fans would too! ::ke::bounce:

What do you think, guys? Should the SEC implement such a rule or not? If not, how come (you've got some serious explaining to do :p)?

ClemsonRangers

insert convicted of, instead of accused of, probably be a good idea

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
insert convicted of, instead of accused of, probably be a good idea

Absolutely! I'd certainly hate to see a career be destroyed over false accusations, which we all know do occur.

Dr. Strangelove

I'd like to see it be where if a player is kicked off a college team for misconduct, then he can't play on any college team. Get these thugs out of the sport and be done with it.

bulldawgborn

I think a player convicted of any felony after his scholarship start date should be barred from competing in the NCAA. There is no sense at all in young men wasting a great opportunity. I feel tougher consequences would cut down on a lot of this asinine behavior.

riprap

Bottom line is the Big money boosters want the team to win. They didn't buy that million dollar motorhome and camp out in the Wal-Mart parking lot to watch their boys lose. As long as the university keeps getting rich off of football, academics and ethics will take back seat to winning.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think a player convicted of any felony after his scholarship start date should be barred from competing in the NCAA. There is no sense at all in young men wasting a great opportunity. I feel tougher consequences would cut down on a lot of this asinine behavior.

This. ^ The problem is that whole "speedy trial" thing. We can no longer "rush to judgement" if there is any eligibility left.

What SEC thugs has FSU picked up? :huh:

I haven't heard of any.

So where did I say they picked up SEC Players?

All I said was that FSU and Auburn give players 3rd and 4th chances... You know... Handled "In-House"... Which means, no punishment at all!:cool:

brittthomas

All I said was that FSU and Auburn give players 3rd and 4th chances... You know... Handled "In-House"... Which means, no punishment at all!:cool:

This isn't about "In-House". It's about picking up transfers that have been booted from other programs. Greene Dawg hit the nail on the head.

The SEC West would be turned on it's ear. AU, Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss are all guilty.

All those are the ones giving 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances. FSU shouldn't even be in this conversation.

riprap

So where did I say they picked up SEC Players?

You take that back. They have to run run lift more weights run run stay after practice...which in turn makes them a better stronger player and helps the team win more ballgames and could potentially make the player millions in the NFL...OK I see what you mean.:D

SpotandStalk

Bottom line is the Big money boosters want the team to win. They didn't buy that million dollar motorhome and camp out in the Wal-Mart parking lot to watch their boys lose. As long as the university keeps getting rich off of football, academics and ethics will take back seat to winning.

This.

Every major school has sacrificed academic integrity and given these players passing grades.

That's no different than playing a thief because you need a win.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
This.

Every major school has sacrificed academic integrity and given these players passing grades.

That's no different than playing a thief because you need a win.

JW is not a thief. He's a straight up thug.:bounce:

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
Who gives a crap. Usually the ones complaining are just butt hurt cause their team sucks. I personally don't care what players these teams bring in or kick out.