Richt didn't leave Kirby Much to work with.

brownceluse

This has been a hot topic for some Dawg fans and of course a lot of outsiders mostly vols talking about things they don't know about. This is not intended to bring division among my Dawg brothers but some of you need to get off the talent is there.

Recruiting is the issue with this team period. Our cupboard is empty and that falls on the Richt regime, not solely on Richt the person, but it was a problem inherited by Smart.

Senior leadership and game experience is a necessity to win at any team sport at any level. As such, our 2013 recruiting class would constitute our senior leaders and would have 4 years of coaching under their belt. No one can possibly say that doesn't matter.

So I want to end all this crazy talk about us having the talent, we don't. we could have..... but out of the 34 recruits in 2013 only 17 are still with the team. 14 were dismissed or transferred, Floyd graduated early, Rumph and Taylor were JUCO's.

From our 2013 recruiting class, the 5 highest rank recruits that are still on the team are in order - Brice Ramsey, Brandon Kublanow, Reggie Wilkerson, Johnny O'neal, Reggie Carter. Let that sink in and it makes Georgia seem like an overachiever this year.

Taking out all the players kicked off the team, or who transferred and we would actually fall somewhere around 28th in the recruiting ranking. On level with Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and Vanderbilt.

Now the picture become more clear - the last 3 or 4 years and vanderbilt has given us fits, North Carolina was an even match up, etc - we do not MAINTAIN SEC caliber talent. No doubt Richt was able to bring it in, but he wasn't able to keep it.

The situation did not improve in 2014. So our Junior Leadership, next years leaders are in short supply. Out of 20 recruits only 13 remain. Our class would still have been around 20 in the rankings because Lorenzo, Nick and Sony were all 5 star recruits. This puts our 2014 class on par with Kentucky, South Carolina and UCLA.

But this doesn't address one of the biggest flaws of the Richt era - the Offensive Line. Who cares if you have 5 star receivers and QB's if the line doesn't buy the time needed to allow passing plays to develop? Who cares if we have a stable of 5 star running backs if the line can't open up lanes or continually allows the back to get hit in the backfield?

Our senior linemen are Kublanow, Aulden Bynum and Glenn Welch. Welch is now at FB. Our Offensive line haul averaged out at .8547 recruiting ranking. For reference, Alabama took 5 offensive linemen in 2013 with an average rating of .9162. Heck, even Vanderbilt had a better recruiting offensive line class with a haul of 2 averaging .8643.

2014 looked better on paper. We recruited 4 offensive linemen with an average rating of .9050, but Jake Edwards has since departed. So our junior and senior leadership on the OL is made up of Kublanow, Aulden Bynum, Dyshon Simms, Kendall Baker & Isaiah Wynn.

Maybe Alabama had a good year in 2013 and decided OL was no longer a need? Not the case they signed 5 and a 6th didn't qualify on grades. The average rating of the 5 signed was .94494. In fact the top recruit for Alabama in 2014 was at OT. Vanderbilt also took 4 OL's in 2014, with an average rating of .8287.

Looking over the two year stretch:

Alabama: Signed 10 OL with .95555 average rating | UGA Signed 7 OL with .8834 average rating (Only 5 on Roster) | Vandy Signed 6 OL with .8405 average rating.

This should adequately answer any lingering questions as to why we are not doing well. Football in the SEC is a game won and lost in the trenches. Our offensive line is closer in talent to that of Vanderbilt and Kentucky and miles away from the talent on Alabama and Ole Miss.

Coach Smart cannot fix this overnight, and it might even take a few years to bring in the talent, keep it and DEVELOP it. There is a reason coach Smart singled out the OL as the greatest need in the off season and Pittman has stated that he wants to sign as many as 6 recruits in the next cycle.

We will get better, but it will take time - I do believe Smart is the guy to get us there, as he understands the importance of the linemen in the SEC, something Richt seemingly overlooked, year after year.

Last edited:

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Now you've done it...... the UT fans will be all over this telling you how you don't know football. The lone UM fan will be all upset cause you are putting down their savior, but that article is spot on.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You don't need articles or anything else to confirm we don't have the talent. The team's play on the field confirms it.

AccUbonD

The majority of the fans here all the way up until Richt was gone said UGA had all the talent in the world and blamed it on coaching. The sports forum has done a complete 180 since Kirby has took over. I shall not engage in this matter just point out the obvious......MAJORITY

Horns

brownceluse nailed it. I keep saying that UGA's cupboard is bare. Richt left holes everywhere. Problem is that people think just because we hired Kirby we are going to win the natty now.

brownceluse

The majority of the fans here all the way up until Richt was gone said UGA had all the talent in the world and blamed it on coaching. The sports forum has done a complete 180 since Kirby has took over. I shall not engage in this matter just point out the obvious......MAJORITY

You are 100% correct and I was one of those fans for a time. Richt was all class and he he played 100% by the rules. Some of those players HAD to leave based on UGA and Richt's behavior policy. But, they are not there anymore therefor leaving Kirby and the new staff an uphill climb with talent.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
:deadhorse:This should be in the excuse thread

Nah. This is a fact thread. Plenty of us saw this coming last year. The only disappointment is the fact it's worse than what we first estimated. We are not a contending team. In fact we aren't even a mediocre team. We are a lousy team.

tjl1388

Feel free to educate me as to how your horrible offensive line gave up 510yds yesterday?

I'll post this again as it's relevant.
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

Kirby Smart is in my opinion just not a good coach. uGA's fanbase is in denial, similar to UM's when Golden was here

If Richt didn't leave Kirby Chubb you would be 1-3 right now.

Richt also gifted Eason to Smart, and any successs moving forward will be because of Eason IMO.

Sorry uGA fans you're stuck with Smart, so I guess you are forced to defend him.

In 15 years, Richt had 2 losses with a worse margin of loss than this game - against Florida (49-10) in 2008, with UF ranked #5 (Georgia was ranked #8 ) and against LSU (42-10) in 2011 with LSU ranked #1 (Georgia was ranked #1 2)....

I don't hate uGA. I am the biggest uGA fan one game a year...An enemy of my enemy is my friend.

My hate for uF means I always retain a soft spot for the Dawgs.

Sorry puppies, you're in for a rough year....

Matthew6

Banned thug
the 28 point bama beatdown in the rain with chubb and richt at home was the nail in the coffin of the richt era,. and the beginning of the smart era.:flag:

nickel back

Feel free to educate me as to how your horrible offensive line gave up 510yds yesterday?

Kirby Smart is in my opinion just not a good coach. uGA's fanbase is in denial, similar to UM's when Golden was here

Richt also gifted Eason to Smart, and any successs moving forward will be because of Eason IMO.

Sorry uGA fans you're stuck with Smart, so I guess you are forced to defend him.

In 15 years, Richt had 2 losses with a worse margin of loss than this game - against Florida (49-10) in 2008, with UF ranked #5 (Georgia was ranked #8 ) and against LSU (42-10) in 2011 with LSU ranked #1 (Georgia was ranked #1 2)....

I don't hate uGA. I am the biggest uGA fan one game a year...An enemy of my enemy is my friend.

you take great pictures.....that's all

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Did I read tj right, that if CMR had not left CKS Chubb we would be 1 and 3. If I did then there is no reason to read any further in that post. Not even going to give tj, Chubb's stats in the last 3 games.

Last edited:

across the river

This has been a hot topic for some Dawg fans and of course a lot of outsiders mostly vols talking about things they don't know about. This is not intended to bring division among my Dawg brothers but some of you need to get off the talent is there.

Recruiting is the issue with this team period. Our cupboard is empty and that falls on the Richt regime, not solely on Richt the person, but it was a problem inherited by Smart.

Senior leadership and game experience is a necessity to win at any team sport at any level. As such, our 2013 recruiting class would constitute our senior leaders and would have 4 years of coaching under their belt. No one can possibly say that doesn't matter.

So I want to end all this crazy talk about us having the talent, we don't. we could have..... but out of the 34 recruits in 2013 only 17 are still with the team. 14 were dismissed or transferred, Floyd graduated early, Rumph and Taylor were JUCO's.

From our 2013 recruiting class, the 5 highest rank recruits that are still on the team are in order - Brice Ramsey, Brandon Kublanow, Reggie Wilkerson, Johnny O'neal, Reggie Carter. Let that sink in and it makes Georgia seem like an overachiever this year.

Taking out all the players kicked off the team, or who transferred and we would actually fall somewhere around 28th in the recruiting ranking. On level with Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and Vanderbilt.

Now the picture become more clear - the last 3 or 4 years and vanderbilt has given us fits, North Carolina was an even match up, etc - we do not MAINTAIN SEC caliber talent. No doubt Richt was able to bring it in, but he wasn't able to keep it.

The situation did not improve in 2014. So our Junior Leadership, next years leaders are in short supply. Out of 20 recruits only 13 remain. Our class would still have been around 20 in the rankings because Lorenzo, Nick and Sony were all 5 star recruits. This puts our 2014 class on par with Kentucky, South Carolina and UCLA.

But this doesn't address one of the biggest flaws of the Richt era - the Offensive Line. Who cares if you have 5 star receivers and QB's if the line doesn't buy the time needed to allow passing plays to develop? Who cares if we have a stable of 5 star running backs if the line can't open up lanes or continually allows the back to get hit in the backfield?

Our senior linemen are Kublanow, Aulden Bynum and Glenn Welch. Welch is now at FB. Our Offensive line haul averaged out at .8547 recruiting ranking. For reference, Alabama took 5 offensive linemen in 2013 with an average rating of .9162. Heck, even Vanderbilt had a better recruiting offensive line class with a haul of 2 averaging .8643.

2014 looked better on paper. We recruited 4 offensive linemen with an average rating of .9050, but Jake Edwards has since departed. So our junior and senior leadership on the OL is made up of Kublanow, Aulden Bynum, Dyshon Simms, Kendall Baker & Isaiah Wynn.

Maybe Alabama had a good year in 2013 and decided OL was no longer a need? Not the case they signed 5 and a 6th didn't qualify on grades. The average rating of the 5 signed was .94494. In fact the top recruit for Alabama in 2014 was at OT. Vanderbilt also took 4 OL's in 2014, with an average rating of .8287.

Alabama: Signed 10 OL with .95555 average rating | UGA Signed 7 OL with .8834 average rating (Only 5 on Roster) | Vandy Signed 6 OL with .8405 average rating.

This should adequately answer any lingering questions as to why we are not doing well. Football in the SEC is a game won and lost in the trenches. Our offensive line is closer in talent to that of Vanderbilt and Kentucky and miles away from the talent on Alabama and Ole Miss.

Coach Smart cannot fix this overnight, and it might even take a few years to bring in the talent, keep it and DEVELOP it. There is a reason coach Smart singled out the OL as the greatest need in the off season and Pittman has stated that he wants to sign as many as 6 recruits in the next cycle.

We will get better, but it will take time - I do believe Smart is the guy to get us there, as he understands the importance of the linemen in the SEC, something Richt seemingly overlooked, year after year.

UGA didn't play Bama. UGA got their brains beat out by an Ole Miss team that averaged lower ranked players across the board. Georgia start 5 five stars, and played 8. Ole Miss started one, I repeat one, 5 star player, and I believe played 3 total. They had a 2 star, two 3 stars, and two 4 stars on the offensive line. Georgia's offensive line was much higher rated than that as recruits. Georgia had two 5 stars, a high 3 star start on the defensive line, so on talent a lone, they should have dominated.

If you tallied the composite recruiting ranking of Georgia's lineup it would easily rank top ten in the country, and way ahead of the team that just destroyed them.

You can blame it whatever you want, but I think it is hilarious that all of these people are blaming it on the "lack of talent" that Richt left him. Believe that if you want to, but if you look at the recruiting rankings and look at who will be drafted over the next three or four years, that just isn't the case. In fact Georgia could have four players come out early this year. A lot of the problems I saw yesterday, lack of effort, giving up attitude when down, pulling up instead of trying to run someone down, etc.... has nothing to do with talent, but you can tell yourself that it does if it makes you feel better. Like I said when they hired Kirby, if simply hiring the long time assistant of a very successful head coach was the key to being successful, all of these teams that have hired Bill Belichick's assistant over the year would have Super Bowl trophies.

hayseed_theology

We've played 4 football games, and he had less than a month of recruiting. You can judge a head coaching career on that? Are you telling me that you knew Golden was a bust not long after he knocked off Ohio State at the beginning of his first season?

I love CMR(and wish him all the best at the U), but I think most Dawg fans believe we would be 1-3 right now if he were still the captain of the ship.

Everyone was expecting a rough year. I don't think we will be good next year either. In my mind, Kirby has 3-4 years to prove if he is any good. I'm not gonna make a judgment before then.

HermanMerman

Why do you think Kirby is not a good coach?

BuckNasty83

Not trying to be rude, but yall don't know Jack about an empty cupboard, no talent and rebuilding. Y'all have plenty of talent

toyota4x4h

They just need an excuse to make the loss and coming loses feel better in their mind. Never mind the lack of effort on the field of current players let's blame the last regime.

toyota4x4h

Not trying to be rude, but yall don't know Jack about an empty cupboard, no talent and rebuilding. Y'all have plenty of talent

The definition of empty cupboard was Tennessee after the last few years of recruiting from fulmer one class from kiffin and 4 from Dooley. Look at Tennessee for that. That is why is took jones 3 years to compete. That is not an excuse it is a fact. Uga fans will bash 10rc for the last few years of football but simply won't wrap their head around where the program was. Jones would have loved to have what Kirby has to start. Not including the gift of Eason that richt left him there is plenty on the field to be competitive with anyone outside of Bama.