Useles Billy shot #1184 times at juan dub bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Hand saw, hammer, and nails. No tape measure. That's how a "real" deer stand is bilt.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I showed one that was left in a tree on our neighbors property for about 30 years to my son once. It was still there. He wanted to climb up and look at it.

I said leave it to the squirrels to sit on. That way nobody can get hurt.

dang

DANG !!!
Interesting to me the folks who came along after the days of 2 x 4 deer stands, how different they view huntin'. Prolly always had climbers, lock ons, and metal ladders.........where as the rest of us view these contraptions as miracles.
I ain’t old, but I never climbed the first deer stand till I was around 20. My uncle used to stand next to a tree, hed stand there dead still for hours. When he started taking me we’d build little natural blinds and sit on the ground. Miss those days, I plan on doing that more this bow season

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I showed one that was left in a tree on our neighbors property for about 30 years to my son once. It was still there. He wanted to climb up and look at it.

I said leave it to the squirrels to sit on. That way nobody can get hurt.

To the bet of my knowledge, the first and only lock on stand I ever owned is still in the tree I put it in. Over the eyars the tree grew around it. Kinda cool, just feed bad for the billy who tried to turn that tree into farwood. He'll find a lotta spikes, chain, and a deer stand buried in there.

Whitefeather

Management Material
"welding shop" YAll was all kinda fancy. Crowd I was around was suburban fellers who didn't have a welding torch, or a shop. No camping. Get up on Saturday moring. Drive 3 hours. Hunt. Drive three hours home that evening.
We were visionaries. We figured we could carry our “lock-ons” in and up easier than lumber.
My buddy’s dad had a welding shop so our material was mostly scrap.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I ain’t old, but I never climbed the first deer stand till I was around 20. My uncle used to stand next to a tree, hed stand there dead still for hours. When he started taking me we’d build little natural blinds and sit on the ground. Miss those days, I plan on doing that more this bow season

My first deer wif a bow was sittin' injun style behind a cinder block garage watching an apple tree in an old ladies back yard. That was fun, and before thermacells. I was "hard core" would just let the skeeters chew on my hands. Zero chance of me doing anything of the sort these days.

I do like sitting on the ground, though. Was too fidgety as a young'n, but these days I enjoy it a good bit much.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
When I Was a kid the old folks didn't sit with the kids cause the kids would rurn they hunts n run oft the deers.

dang

DANG !!!
My first deer wif a bow was sittin' injun style behind a cinder block garage watching an apple tree in an old ladies back yard. That was fun, and before thermacells. I was "hard core" would just let the skeeters chew on my hands. Zero chance of me doing anything of the sort these days.

I do like sitting on the ground, though. Was too fidgety as a young'n, but these days I enjoy it a good bit much.
I think there’s some freedom in goin in with a knife and a weapon. I enjoy the style of hunting and the hunter I’ve developed into but this year I plan on going back to the basics. Kinda a way of continuing to test myself

dang

DANG !!!
I got close on the ground a few times last year, and *gasp* passed …on a few hogs at very close ranges with the bow….definitely a learning curve I gotta break through

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I think there’s some freedom in goin in with a knife and a weapon. I enjoy the style of hunting and the hunter I’ve developed into but this year I plan on going back to the basics. Kinda a way of continuing to test myself

One of my favorite things to do is hike into an area I've never seen with a cliber on my back. In some ways it's kinda lazy because there isn't a lotta "pre-work" put into killin' the deer, just some thoughtful review of a map........but to me, it's way more rewarding than shooting a deer off a foodplot which requires a lotta pre-work.

dang

DANG !!!
One of my favorite things to do is hike into an area I've never seen with a cliber on my back. In some ways it's kinda lazy because there isn't a lotta "pre-work" put into killin' the deer, just some thoughtful review of a map........but to me, it's way more rewarding than shooting a deer off a foodplot which requires a lotta pre-work.
Yea, I’m with you. I like to ramble my way into deer kills. I ain’t never really had a place to hunt with food plots and all that. This year the club I got in got all that fancy stuff. I tried to plant one last season behind the house just cause but it flopped hard.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Yea, I’m with you. I like to ramble my way into deer kills. I ain’t never really had a place to hunt with food plots and all that. This year the club I got in got all that fancy stuff. I tried to plant one last season behind the house just cause but it flopped hard.

Two of my biggest bucks were while I was ramblin through the woods lookin' for the next best thing. I was just lucky in both cases, but, the urge to see something different and new is why I was there when the deer was there.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Problem wif my place here is the deers are vampires. Think the injun haints have em spooked. Only come out at night.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
As far as foodpllots go, I have 5 acres of corn out there. It brings the deer from far n wide.......at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts