Uses For A Deer

Jim Ammons

Tallow melted from a fat doe or buck and rubbed on leather makes a good waterproofing especially on hunting boots.

rattleandstrut78

I used to work with a guy Thad Beckum I believe but he used almost everything I believe he is one of those traditional guys everything he hunts with comes from the land, he has a video out that is pretty neat he shows how he uses the tendons in the deer to make bow string, basically he shows everything from the beginning to the end, even show how to take the deer hide to tan and used the brain for something, some of you guys may know him I don't know I think he has or at least head the state record buck with a long bow.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Ligaments and tendons for sinew to haft arrowheads or spear points. Leg bone to make a traditional club, knife, or hoe handle. Cleaned skulls for a bookshelf. Tail for a small knife sheath. Hide for a hair-on rug, or hair-off for leather (Have a Buckskin in the beer fridge freezer I need to work on too...) Bone for awls, fish hooks, game traps ( I know indians used to put a sharpened bone in a chunk of meat for coyotes or wolves).

Rich Kaminski

Have 2 tower jaws of bears joined together with the teeth intact to make an ashtray.

miles58

Banned yankee
I make whistles for my bird dogs out of antlers.

I use tallow for suet to feed the birds, bears too come spring, but they're a little hard on the feeder.

GAnaturalist

Deer antler as a Colum shifter.....sweet ! post that pic !

Alright, here is something crazy, but works

You can make a candle out of a deer leg. Cut the femur-like bone in the rear leg (or the front). Cut the bone in half and dip a wick in the marrow, then fire it up. Older bones seem to work better. It is a small flame, but it has lasted up to 2 hours once.

P

potsticker

i use the skin, tossed up in a bush to attract coyotes, works everytime.

Sylvan

Ears are used in making souse. You gotta have enough ears in it to make it stick together when it congeals. Never tried deer souse though.