Uses For A Deer

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

My understanding is every animal has enough tanic acid in its brain to tan its own hide.
I just learned that fact this past weekend hanging around Nick. However, if I recollect correctly, there are 2 animals that don't have brains large enough to tan their hides.
I just can't recollect what those two animals are. :huh: Seems like one is an elephant. Nick, or someone else, what is the other one?:offtopic:

ed'sboy

I just learned that fact this past weekend hanging around Nick. However, if I recollect correctly, there are 2 animals that don't have brains large enough to tan their hides.
I just can't recollect what those two animals are. :huh: Seems like one is an elephant. Nick, or someone else, what is the other one?:offtopic:

I'm not sure I have enough brain or even need it cause grandma always tanned my hide with a hickory.:whip:

Cleankill47

You can saw the antler tines into small circles by cutting them crosswise, then punch holes in them to make buttons,

You can attach each antler to a long stick to make a small garden rake, or individual tines can be attached to a strong handle and used to dig,

Buck glands can be used to make a natural deer lure,

And there are a bunch of other things...

DSGB

You can make a doorbell.
doorbell.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

elephants, armadillos, and a few people I know!! :rofl:

Ya`ll keep em comin`!

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

Thanks for solving my off topic mystery, Nick !!!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
How avout using the urine and various glands for scents? Both as cover and attractent.

Hawkeye

You can use a piece of deer antler as a tool to straighten wooden arrows.
Hide as clorthes, or blankets, hats.
You can use the hide as walls on a teepee.
pieces of deer hide for bow rests.
Legbones for knife handles.
antlers for hat hangers,etc.

jayrun

I have seen the ears used as coin purses, also seen them used as soup ladels.

Have seen the leg bones used to make flutes.

Seen the stomachs and bladders used as canteens but more often used as a lining for a water proof basket.

Seen small intestine used as fishing line.

Seen just about any part used in a stew or soup.

Hooves make a good glue.

I thought i had seen a shoulder bone made into a ceramonial tomohawk but that may have been an elk bone.

Seen some nice head dresses with antlers.

Skulls used as decoration.

Heard of but never seen the lower jaw bone used as arrow straightner, also heard of the jawbone sharpened and used as a hand to hand weapon kinda like a punch dagger.

I am pretty sure you could make some small game points out of the bones too, rounded bones could be pretty easily made into barbed fishing hooks.

I personally have a severed does tail that i am making into a decoration for my hatband.(long story)

Didn't some tribes bleach doeskin and do extensive beadwork for ceramonial clothing...may be holywood stuff but I thought I remember an account of white wedding attire made from bleached white doeskin...I seem to remember that this was not a common thing and pretty difficult to achieve, something about chewing the hide till it was soft....wow no wonder native Americans had bad teeth.

Jayrun