Gear

slow motion

So I was at Basspro earlier as I was in the area and had a little time to kill. Wandering around and I saw a squid jig. Reminded me of a retreival device that a member here has and he refers to it as a squid jig. Thinking about how I might need one cause I occasionally ( :rolleyes: ) drop something from the tree. Now i don't know what its called and thought of asking. Then I thought maybe we all have some piece of gear that we use others might not know about or haven't thought of. I will dig through my pack at some point and see if I have anything of consequence in there. At the moment I will say I started using flexible rubber coated wire. Originally I wanted it to tie my pack to a treestand. Now its on my pack, my racks on the 4 wheeler, treestands, and anywhere else I might need to tie something on. I bought a big roll of wire that's intended for tying up vegetables, think tomatoes and such. My pack tends to be fairly heavy and it still holds it to the side of a ladderstand. There are definitely better products designed to hold more weight. I know, I know, we used to hunt with our weapon and projectile of choice with a fixed blade knife on our belt and not much else. My first deer I was wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans. Now I take the kitchen sink. Anyway anybody else have some gear or something they use that we/I might not have thought of? Also to the Godfather, If you would be so kind as to share the details of the squid jig.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
So I was at Basspro earlier as I was in the area and had a little time to kill. Wandering around and I saw a squid jig. Reminded me of a retreival device that a member here has and he refers to it as a squid jig. Thinking about how I might need one cause I occasionally ( :rolleyes: ) drop something from the tree. Now i don't know what its called and thought of asking. Then I thought maybe we all have some piece of gear that we use others might not know about or haven't thought of. I will dig through my pack at some point and see if I have anything of consequence in there. At the moment I will say I started using flexible rubber coated wire. Originally I wanted it to tie my pack to a treestand. Now its on my pack, my racks on the 4 wheeler, treestands, and anywhere else I might need to tie something on. I bought a big roll of wire that's intended for tying up vegetables, think tomatoes and such. My pack tends to be fairly heavy and it still holds it to the side of a ladderstand. There are definitely better products designed to hold more weight. I know, I know, we used to hunt with our weapon and projectile of choice with a fixed blade knife on our belt and not much else. My first deer I was wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans. Now I take the kitchen sink. Anyway anybody else have some gear or something they use that we/I might not have thought of? Also to the Godfather, If you would be so kind as to share the details of the squid jig.

The one I carried for years looked kinda like this with a 20ft piece of paracord and in a plastic tube.

Hillbilly stalker

I always carried the metal S hook off of an old rubber bungee cord. That along with my pull up rope have always worked for me. I’ve retrieved gloves, release, Bino’s and even an aluminum arrow ( that took a little while). They are cheap, small and everyone has them. That was before they came out with those gadgets. It still works.

slow motion

Found a pic but that's all link seems to be gone on this one. Probably not difficult to rig up with a jig like that though.Screenshot_20240420-163249_Google.jpg

slow motion

I always carried the metal S hook off of an old rubber bungee cord. That along with my pull up rope have always worked for me. I’ve retrieved gloves, release, Bino’s and even an aluminum arrow ( that took a little while). They are cheap, small and everyone has them. That was before they came out with those gadgets. It still works.
Good idea. Club president in Illinois saved the hooks off old ratchet straps. Made gear pulls with them I think. Pretty sure the hooks were too big in diameter for this. Bet the smaller ones you're talking about work great. Picking up an arrow is impressive. I bet you're skillful at the claw machine that picks up the little stuffed animals.

slow motion

Knew a guy who used the limbs off of old artificial Christmas trees. The ones that were basically a bendable wire with plastic needles. He would wrap the metal around ladder tree stands so it looked like it had limbs and needles. Just to break up the profile. Kinda like a leafy suit for a stand.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use a pull rope. I take my weapon up with me as I climb. A good buck coming by while you're 15' up a tree with your gun on the ground makes you feel a bit silly. Plus, I think it's less safe to bang your gun or bow on stuff dangling from a rope than it is to hold it on your stand or have it on a sling on your back.

slow motion

I have a fishing treble hook with string that I keep in a plastic tube with a snap cap that M&M's came in ,
Good deal Phil. Do you leave it sharp or dull the tips just a little?

slow motion

I don't use a pull rope. I take my weapon up with me as I climb. A good buck coming by while you're 15' up a tree with your gun on the ground makes you feel a bit silly. Plus, I think it's less safe to bang your gun or bow on stuff dangling from a rope than it is to hold it on your stand or have it on a sling on your back.
Good point brother. Though i usually have something happen to make me feel foolish anyway. What's 1 more i guess. :p

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Another vote to carry your weapon. I am beyond climbers now but I carry my gun up the ladders with me. I put the sling around the back of my neck and cradle the gun in the crook of my arms leaving my hands free to climb. I couldn't take a shot partway up but the gun is safe and quiet.

DSGB

Forgot where I bought this, but have carried it in my pack for 10+ years. I added a few bullet weights because it was so light. It has come in handy quite a few times.
IMG_5707.jpeg

Hillbilly stalker

It’s hard to sling a bow when you climb, near impossible. I used to climb with my rifle slung. One day about halfway up the tree my sling separated at the clasp. The brand new Browning A bolt and Leupold Var X III slammed into my stand, I caught it before it took off to the ground. I about laid an egg, hunt over, go check my zero time. Those little clasp are not made to take the pressure of a man humping his way up a tree, too much pressure, especially on a cheap Allen sling. Also it’s hard to work your safety tether, if you were to fall and land with the rifle slung you would be in a real pickle. I use a rope but to each their own.

slow motion

It’s hard to sling a bow when you climb, near impossible. I used to climb with my rifle slung. One day about halfway up the tree my sling separated at the clasp. The brand new Browning A bolt and Leupold Var X III slammed into my stand, I caught it before it took off to the ground. I about laid an egg, hunt over, go check my zero time. Those little clasp are not made to take the pressure of a man humping his way up a tree, too much pressure, especially on a cheap Allen sling. Also it’s hard to work your safety tether, if you were to fall and land with the rifle slung you would be in a real pickle. I use a rope but to each their own.
Good point.