Venison Roast & Gravy

ryork

Little out of the box but man was this good!!! Coated a small venison roast with some coffee, coriander and a little cumin and chili powder. Seared it off real good in a cast iron pan and then let it essentially braise for half a day on low heat. The braising liquid was a little chicken stock, some w'shire sauce, garlic, thyme and a Yuengling Hershey's Porter. Used that braising liquid to make the gravy, which was basically onions caramelized in some butter, add some flour and sweat down, and then add the liquid. GOOD STUFF! Served that over some parmesan-garlic mashed taters (trust me they're under there) along with an arugula-kale salad.

11-20 (10).jpg11-20 (11).jpg11-20 (12).jpg11-20 (14).jpg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Little out of the box but man was this good!!! Coated a small venison roast with some coffee, coriander and a little cumin and chili powder. Seared it off real good in a cast iron pan and then let it essentially braise for half a day on low heat. The braising liquid was a little chicken stock, some w'shire sauce, garlic, thyme and a Yuengling Hershey's Porter. Used that braising liquid to make the gravy, which was basically onions caramelized in some butter, add some flour and sweat down, and then add the liquid. GOOD STUFF! Served that over some parmesan-garlic mashed taters (trust me they're under there) along with an arugula-kale salad.

View attachment 1051097View attachment 1051098View attachment 1051099View attachment 1051101

Top Shelf right there!!!

Dr. Strangelove

Looks gore-met!

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

View attachment 1051097View attachment 1051098View attachment 1051099View attachment 1051101

Hey Brother. How about coming off the amounts on these ingredients and do you mix them in a dry rub first and apply or just sprinkle them on as you see fit.

pop pop jones

Robbie, you better give up your way of thinking about food. You've got these boys stumped, to the point they may never recover.

ryork

Hey Brother. How about coming off the amounts on these ingredients and do you mix them in a dry rub first and apply or just sprinkle them on as you see fit.

I don't measure much for such things, but would say generally things like cumin and coffee would be half or less than the amounts of other dry rub ingredients. You can go too heavy on something like chili powder without killing the overall taste, add too much cumin or coffee and that's all you will taste.

I would always put a dry rub on before I start cooking whatever its on. Adds to the sear on the meat.

Head East

sweet mother of pearl that is righteous!