Wanted to share with you addicts

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I remember a lot of Striper fishing talk in here over the years but I couldn't relate to it from experience but I've been envious.
I got to go Striper fishing yesterday for the 1st time. Had a blast. We landed 3 bluefish also.
IMG_7460.jpgIMG_1791.jpg20211119_172037.jpg20211119_173415.jpg

WaltL1

Nice!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That was the first I've eaten either.
The Bass was phenomenal.
The Blues were very good, better than what people have told me. I did take the time to remove all the dark meat tho.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Some fine eating and fun catching!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good catch! Stripers are delicious. Blues aren't bad, a little oily, but good.

So, which one of those fellers is Bullethead?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The Bass was phenomenal.
The Blues were very good, better than what people have told me. I did take the time to remove all the dark meat tho.

I did take the time to remove all the dark meat tho.
That’s the ticket right there!! We call it the blood line, but we take the dark meat out of big catfish, too.

You done got me wanting to fry up some fish now!!

WaltL1

Right side
My youngest son is 2nd in from left side
Thats your son 2nd in from left???? Ive only seen a couple of pictures you but I would have bet a large sum of cash that was you!
And blues arent bad. The trick is to eat them fresh because they dont freeze well. Alot of folks make fish dip with them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thats your son 2nd in from left???? Ive only seen a couple of pictures you but I would have bet a large sum of cash that was you!
And blues arent bad. The trick is to eat them fresh because they dont freeze well. Alot of folks make fish dip with them.
They're good grilled, not as much fried.

Big7

The Oracle
Both of those species are some of the best eating fish on the planet. ? ?

Congratulations on your first striper trip.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I've got 3 apples that didn't even bounce when they fell from the tree, lololol
I've read that about the blues not freezing well.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Youngest and Middle Son and I at Gettysburg on this Halloween.
We've been there dozens of times but never walked the Final Assault that Pickett's Division took.
IMG_1643.jpg20211031_115745.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
The Bass was phenomenal.
Blues done right are awesome.

Trick we used in floor- duh was to single layer fillets in a WIRE colander, not plastic, to much surface contact. Hang that in a big salad bowl with plenty of room to drain and circulate air then put in the fridge. Don't worry about them drying out. The flesh contains plenty of water.

They will keep about 3 days- then cook them.
That way, you don't have to freeze them.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Blues done right are awesome.

Trick we used in floor- duh was to single layer fillets in a WIRE colander, not plastic, to much surface contact. Hang that in a big salad bowl with plenty of room to drain and circulate air then put in the fridge. Don't worry about them drying out. The flesh contains plenty of water.

They will keep about 3 days- then cook them.
That way, you don't have to freeze them.
Thank you for the tip. We will definitely be going again.
We enjoyed the fillets in butter and Old Bay. I got the blood line out and the dark meat on skin side.
Wife loved it also.
They get a bad rap apparently.

Israel

BANNED
Great pics. Where'd you go?

Fall was always crazy wonderful along the Jersey shore with schools of blues wreaking havoc on top while the stripers often ran beneath them lazily picking up the pieces. Never knew what you'd get...pulled a nice red drum one time, never having seen nor caught one...and long before I'd come down here to learn "that's a spot tail bass..."

There's little that will make you work with more joy than having two blues hit a trolled umbrella rig...down here an 18 inch blue is jumbo...looks like you guys got into some nice ones.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
We left out of Atlantic Heights near Sandy Hook. The size of the blues impressed us also. Their teeth really tore the rubber bait bodies up.
Had 5 rods out. Center rod had 100ft of line out, 150ft on either side and 175ft on each end rod. The blues smacked them all. But I have no idea how what depth the baits were running.

Israel

BANNED
LOL...how cool is that...my old stomping grounds...used to run up and down that beach from "the Hook" down to Manasquan inlet when I lived in Asbury Park. Great fishing...some fall sunrises there would be a wall of birds working as far as the eye could see north and south...from 50 to a few hundred yards off shore. Shrewsbury rocks always produced.

Maybe you got to eat at Bahr's Moby if you were in Atlantic Highlands, always a treat.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
LOL...how cool is that...my old stomping grounds...used to run up and down that beach from "the Hook" down to Manasquan inlet when I lived in Asbury Park. Great fishing...some fall sunrises there would be a wall of birds working as far as the eye could see north and south...from 50 to a few hundred yards off shore. Shrewsbury rocks always produced.

Maybe you got to eat at Bahr's Moby if you were in Atlantic Highlands, always a treat.
We headed back home when the fishing was over but if we get there again and have the time we can stop.
Atlantic Highlands...idk why I said Heights earlier