War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBM

JustUs4All said:

Rams were used on a lot of different ships but there is a specific type of ship that was used primarily for river defense. Hint: it is a type of ironclad. This pretty much gives it away.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Let us try an ironclad ship with a casemate to protect the guns.

RBM

JustUs4All said:
Let us try an ironclad ship with a casemate to protect the guns.

You are getting warmer. Try a casement to protect the crew. The casement or inner wall had an insulation. The insulation is in the name of the ship.

Resica

A Cofederate brigadier said "I shall come out of this fight a live major general or a dead brigadier." Who was he and what fight was he referring to?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have heard it, but can't remember who or where. Will give it some time before I cheat it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
OK, time's up. Abner Perrin just before he was killed at the Mule Shoe at Spotsylvania CH. He was from Edgefield, SC. I wonder if he had a "Dave the Slave" pot?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
OK, Im gonna jump in here with one. This is a trivia question that I got from a WBTS trivia site.

What was a soldier referring to when he said "40 dead men" ?

Dont google this one too quickly. If you give it a little thought is will be obvious.

RBM

Milkman said:

Well there are 40 men in a Company but that is as far as my guess can go. So it must be a situation he thought would wipe out his Company.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Well there are 40 men in a Company but that is as far as my guess can go. So it must be a situation he thought would wipe out his Company.

Not the answer I am looking for, but a good guess.

It is my understanding that most companys started out with approximatly 100 men. But some Confederate companys ended up with only a few.
My great grandfathers entire regiment (24th Ga) surrendered at Appomattox with only 56 men and officers left.

RBM

Then maybe this is wrong?

http://civilwargazette.wordpress.co...-military-unit-size-for-the-confederate-army/

A WW2 platoon was about 40 men so numbers change over the years even if a company was 100 men in a Civil War company. There were about 150 men in a WW2 company with about three to four platoons.

But you are probably right as this link says the 100 number got cut down severely by the time a company reached the field and after a battle. So maybe after a battle it was down to 40 men.

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/wasec5/formations.html

On one hand is the size a company is "suppose" to have and on the other is the size a company "actually" has.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep. The full compliment of a WTBS company was 100. Rarely would you ever find that, especially on the Confederate side.

RBM

JustUs4All said:
Yep. The full compliment of a WTBS company was 100. Rarely would you ever find that, especially on the Confederate side.

My dad is a WW2 vet and says that there was a Table Of Equipment and rarely did they ever get the equipment they were "suppose" to have. Same with troop numbers. He also said anything the numbers are suppose to be you can cut that to 50% or by half and be pretty close to actual. The link above also confirms this for the WFSR (War For States Rights).

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
OK, Im gonna jump in here with one. This is a trivia question that I got from a WBTS trivia site.

Dont google this one too quickly. If you give it a little thought is will be obvious.

OK,,,,,, back to the subject at hand ;)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I've been chewing on it Marv, but the cud just keeps getting bigger.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
OK............. here is a dead give away hint.

On the stock of my Remington 700 I carry " 9 dead deer"

Attachments

• 10 dead deer.png
    10 dead deer.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.