Warning for Cohutta WMA

Etoncathunter

For those of you who don't know me, I am a 911 dispatcher with Murray county. Normally we are discouraged from discussing what goes on with the public, but after explaining to our area USFS officer about this site and all the people here that are headed to the mountains soon for scouting trips and hunting I was told to go ahead and give a heads up to people. In the last few weeks we have had a large increase in the vehicle break in occurring at the trail head parking spots around Cohutta. Today alone I was told of 5 vehicles between the 3 forks area and Murray's lake. A person or persons have been breaking into vehicles and stealing EVERYTHING in the vehicle. She advised me that they have been taking, wallets, keys, credit cards, registration cards, anything of value inside, and even stealing the batteries, and other parts out of the vehicles. I just wanted to give everyone that might be heading up there in the near future to scout or are planing extended trips during either bow season or the rifle hunts a heads up. I'm sure the last thing anyone here would appreciate is to come out of the woods at dark to find your vehicle stripped and looking at a 5-15mi hike back to pavement and/or cell service.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
WOW :eek::eek: :hair::hair: Thanks

ben300win

Ironically last year opening weekend of bow season there was some folks that stopped at my truck and started yelling, like is anyone there?. I am wondering if there was a group of folks that were hoping folks would be far enough off the road that they would not hear their truck being vandalized. I bet on of the hunters catches then during open season they may be following a blood trail. Theirs.

Etoncathunter

That is one scenario that worries me (beyond the obvious of someone on her getting ripped off). Someone coming out of the woods with a loaded deer rifle, catching an idiot destroying their vehicle has the potential to not end so well, for either party.

georgia_home

Hmmmm. When I read the op, I started thinking coming out of the woods in this situation wouldn't be an accident.

Just hope it is someone with a badge.

Someone, prefer Leo type, hunting the scum. 2 legged bear hunt if you will

That is one scenario that worries me (beyond the obvious of someone on her getting ripped off). Someone coming out of the woods with a loaded deer rifle, catching an idiot destroying their vehicle has the potential to not end so well, for either party.

thank you for the info..not much we can do about protecting our vehicles when we are miles back n the woods..but we can keep'm cleaned out of anything valuable(s)..

Etoncathunter

thank you for the info..not much we can do about protecting our vehicles when we are miles back n the woods..but we can keep'm cleaned out of anything valuable(s)..

Very true, but have to be careful still. They are not just stealing items from the vehicles, but are also taking parts. Several of the ones today had batteries stolen as well. Also going by some of the traffic (reading between the lines so to speak) it seems in some cases, even the wheels might be being stolen.

kno3mike

Thanks for posting. Maybe LEO or USFS puts out a few trail cams to catch these vermin. Cameras are everywhere else these days.

rigderunner

Thanks for the warning I beleive somebody will wind up parking and goin up in the woods to watch there stuff and catch whos doin it and you might be sending the meat wagon up there its ridiculous how people will break into an honest persons property when there off enjoying something

bluemarlin

I camped there Saturday night. Drove, parked the truck, and walked several different mountain sections for 2 days and had no problems.

7Mag Hunter

Very true, but have to be careful still. They are not just stealing items from the vehicles, but are also taking parts. Several of the ones today had batteries stolen as well. Also going by some of the traffic (reading between the lines so to speak) it seems in some cases, even the wheels might be being stolen.

X-2....My BIL has a Garage in Dville Ga and scum jumped
his fence and cut catalytic converts off 6 cars and stole
batteries from 5.......

oldfella1962

X-2....My BIL has a Garage in Dville Ga and scum jumped
his fence and cut catalytic converts off 6 cars and stole
batteries from 5.......

Time for a special episode of....Bait Car! :D
Hope these vermin get caught or "disappear" in the woods if you get my drift. :D

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I lock my doors and toolbox everytime I park my truck anywhere.

Never leave firearms, wallets, or anything of major value inside..

Locks aren't going to keep anybody out that wants in, but at least they want get anything other than a pack of gum..

I've actually thought of hiding a trail cam near my truck to see what happens when I'm gone.

I've gotten a couple of weird notes left on my windshield in the past on 2 different wma's.

ChattNFHunter

was on cohutta labor day and was walking back up the road to my truck because I came back out at the base of the mountain and met a forrest ranger who proceeded to check me and my buddy. He was very nice and said he was on the way to a call at three forks parking lot about a vehicle being broken into and he said he would check my truck to make sure it was not broken into as well. Luckily it had not been!

birddog52

Banned
I think it would be good that thief got caught by the victim maybe the trash wouldlearn its not nice to steal peoples stuff

swwifty

Forgive my ignorance, but where is 3 forks area and Murray's lake? I've been to Cohutta a bit, but for some reason those locations don't ring a bell.

Etoncathunter

3 forks is to the NE near cow pen mtn. Murrays lake is at the end of FS17b off FS17 (west cowpen rd) about 1/2 way between mill creek rd and old hwy 2.