Wear & Tear Catching Up With Me

chuckdog

I'm not in any way new to aches and pains. I started with neuropathic related pains and numbness while in my 40's.

Over the years I've had spine/neck surgeries, many different drug therapies, etc. I'm in my early 60's now and arthritis is making its presence known.

My neck, arms, hands, and feet have been affected most, but now my hips and knees are really beginning to kick up.(No Pun Intended)

Three or four years ago my right knee was the first place since I had a motorcycle crash that required my ankle to be screwed back together some 35 years ago that I had a visit from excruciating pain in my lower body. I'm careful not to make any sudden changes of direction or push/slide things aside with my right foot and my right knee has behaved much better.

Last week after getting my right hand caught between the roll bar on my tractor and a tree, at the urging of my wife I went for Xray's. Nothing fractured, but torn ligaments and told I definitely had signs of arthritis in both hands. The next day when I lifted my left knee getting dressed something in my left hip popped like never before. If not for the dresser being near, I'd hit the floor.

I couldn't place any weight on my left leg for at least a minute. The pain was pretty high on the Richter scale, but the fear factor is much greater. The pain is still present, but much more tolerable. I do have trouble walking when I first stand.

Over this past weekend my left knee has swollen, is hot and tender to the touch. No signs of a bug bite, it's just there.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I really don't know what to expect.

I'm being told by friends and family that I've reached the age that rubbing dirt on it and walking it off ain't gonna get it anymore.

I guess we're never prepared for parts to begin wearing out.

I've second guessed myself over and over about even posting this. I'm not the type of person that looks for extra attention or sympathy. I have become more of a dismayed person trying to reason this crap that's happening now!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Sorry to hear what you`re going through, and hope you can get some help and relief.

Arthritis has just about crippled me and over the last ten years and has stopped me from doing a lot of the things I love to do.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Sorry to hear what you`re going through, and hope you can get some help and relief.

Arthritis has just about crippled me and over the last ten years and has stopped me from doing a lot of the things I love to do.

When your quality of life sucks, it's time to do something. Wish I didn't suffer 25yrs of constant back pain.

Dub

I sympathize with each of you: Chuckdog, Quack & Nicodemus.

I'm right there with you, too. Severe advanced arthritis, pending knee & shoulder replacements waiting and ghosts of past surgeries.

Getting older ain't for the weak :rofl:

Hang in there, brothers. Hang in there.

Buford_Dawg

58 here and arthritis in both knees, the right knee hurts bad daily, take a couple pain medx to get thru and some rub on creams. Only thing bothering me at the moment other than keeping Diabetes and BP under control, that is pretty simple with exercise and light medx. Keep up the fight...

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It's the aches and pains that let me know that I am still alive and not dreaming.

Like the old Indian in the film Josey Whales said, "Endever to Persevere." for as long as you can then declare war on something.

SC Hunter

At 31 I hurt just enough every day that it irritates me and makes me want to just keep going. All the years of high school football, baseball, some crossfit and the fire department are showing but it is what it is.

pjciii

I was at the Dr last week and told her i was tired of living in constant pain. Herniation between l4 and l5. Impinged shoulders. Left knee needs to be replaced and the RA does not help. Pain level most days about a 6 others higher.

Now days the government had them so scared to prescribe anything that will actually help. Opioid crisis you know.

So she gave me lyrica to try for the nerve pain. We will see.

transfixer

I'm not in any way new to aches and pains. I started with neuropathic related pains and numbness while in my 40's.

Over the years I've had spine/neck surgeries, many different drug therapies, etc. I'm in my early 60's now and arthritis is making its presence known.

My neck, arms, hands, and feet have been affected most, but now my hips and knees are really beginning to kick up.(No Pun Intended)

Three or four years ago my right knee was the first place since I had a motorcycle crash that required my ankle to be screwed back together some 35 years ago that I had a visit from excruciating pain in my lower body. I'm careful not to make any sudden changes of direction or push/slide things aside with my right foot and my right knee has behaved much better.

Last week after getting my right hand caught between the roll bar on my tractor and a tree, at the urging of my wife I went for Xray's. Nothing fractured, but torn ligaments and told I definitely had signs of arthritis in both hands. The next day when I lifted my left knee getting dressed something in my left hip popped like never before. If not for the dresser being near, I'd hit the floor.

I couldn't place any weight on my left leg for at least a minute. The pain was pretty high on the Richter scale, but the fear factor is much greater. The pain is still present, but much more tolerable. I do have trouble walking when I first stand.

Over this past weekend my left knee has swollen, is hot and tender to the touch. No signs of a bug bite, it's just there.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I really don't know what to expect.

I'm being told by friends and family that I've reached the age that rubbing dirt on it and walking it off ain't gonna get it anymore.

I guess we're never prepared for parts to begin wearing out.

I've second guessed myself over and over about even posting this. I'm not the type of person that looks for extra attention or sympathy. I have become more of a dismayed person trying to reason this crap that's happening now!

I have similar aches and pains myself, about to turn 60, worked in a shop for 35+ yrs walking on concrete daily, always been one to push my limits physically , especially in my younger days, right knee has no cartlidge left, very little in left knee, right shoulder bothers me from time to time, probably rotator cuff issues, hands and elbows still work okay without pain, I'm sure that will change as time goes on,

One thing I can tell you from personal experience, if you can cut out the processed sugar from your diet, the amount of inflammation in your body will drop considerably,, I had always heard that, but never paid it any attention really, I used to be one of Little Debbie's best customers,, lol ,,, a year ago last April my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, I already knew I was over weight and should do something about it, but the fear of dealing with diabetes made me go cold turkey as far as any processed sugar is concerned, also no white bread, no biscuits , I read labels for sugar content now,

Result is I've lost about 80lbs in a year, my knees hardly bother me anymore, I don't wake up aching anymore, shoulder still acts up sometimes, but overall my aches and pains have diminished by at least 75-80%, I'll turn 60 in June, but feel like I'm back in my mid to late 40's now.

If you can cut out processed sugar, items with added sugar, you'll notice a HUGE difference I promise !

chuckdog

Thanks to all of you!

I'm going to keep pushing as long as I can. Many are telling me that I already push too hard. I know I'm guilty of not pacing myself.

I'm sure most of us don't know how to accept limits we don't like. It's just been one thing on top of another lately.

Lyrica proved to be ineffective and made me too sleepy to function. Gabapentin seemed to help for a short time, then it was like I was taking nothing.

Nerve pain is exhausting. Arthritis, etc on top of it scares me. The thoughts of more surgery makes me mad. My history has been of short term improvements, then down the slide again.

I am driven to keep moving.