Wear & Tear Catching Up With Me

bullgator

Sometimes I get out of bed sounding like Snap, Crackle, and Pop of Rice Krispies fame. About 20 years ago a chiropractor looked at my back x-rays and said there was arthritis showing up everywhere. He laughed and told me to keep moving or it would slap run me over. At 62 I’ve come to realize that what we’ve heard all our lives is very true......diet and exercise!. Seriously, lots of water and low impact movement is a great start to a lot of our physical issues. Our bodies were designed to be used , not abused. I know, easier said than done for those of us with some redneck in our systems.

specialk

My last dr visit he told me i would never make it out of this world alive....im starting to believe him....

Dub

The pain caused in my stomach quickly over rides any benefit most anti-inflammatory meds have had for me.

I can relate.

Similar issues here. I get huge benefit from ibuprofen, but have some stomach issues with prolonged use.

My doctor swapped me off the ibuprofen and onto another prescription anti-inflammatory....a pill with breakfast and another with dinner.

He also put me on a once-daily prescription med that eliminates all the stomach issues I was having prior.

I'm not pushing pills onto anyone....I hate taking meds.....but these two have really helped....BIGTIME. (y)

I worked in the automotive industry for 35+ years. I played sports in school, basketball, wrestling. Also raced ATV's for a couple of years. Had a knee scoped in my 20's Doctor told me I had signs of Arthritis, I thought that he was crazy! Well 25 years later I found out that he wasn't, at 51 I had both knees replaced. I should of had it done years ago! I forgot what it was like not to be in pain! I can say that having the surgeries was a success. Before the surgery I could barely walk, I'm talking no cartilage left in either knee, bow-legged like a cowboy. I remember getting the X-rays and the X-ray tech asking me "how are you even walking"? Lots of Ibuprofen.

:rofl:

I've heard some similar comments from my doctor & the ortho guru he sent me to.

And yes.....lots of ibuprofen was the solution for many years prior to the prescription stuff that is lower impact on my innards.

Had some other obligations that were preventing me from taking the time off to have the knees & right shoulder replaced. Now....those hurdles aren't present and it's time to begin planning on the new joints. First step will be to recharge my FMLA time & sick hours over the next year while doing what I can to get my body as ready as possible: exercise bike, kayaking, working long shifts and being cautious not to have new injuries while doing fun stuff on the range, woods and water.

rjseniorpro

Years ago, when I worked as a RN in a nursing home, I had a patient who I truly liked. I spent a lot of time with him. He called me "chum" and i called him "buddy"

He was one of those people who you want to be around. Just a very good demeanor, had an uplifting spirit and always wore the biggest smiles.

His muscles had simply locked up, drawing his legs up tight to his abdomen and his arms were drawn tight, fingers arranged in a manner that was unimaginable. He hadn't wore clothes in a few years because his body was drawn up so compactly, they couldn't be put on.

But above the shoulders, he was ok. He loved to tell his stories and jokes. Laughter was his medicine and he stayed in overdose.

It was easy to see he wasn't in pain. He was the living, breathing embodiment of agony. But his eyes never showed it. His mentality just wouldn't allow it, his spirit was above that.

He had a collection of baseball caps tacked to the wall so he could see them. His family brought them from home. I lifetime collection of unworn caps. One color was missing though. Pink. Every imaginable color-- but no pink. I got him one, from MAC tools. Neon pink. It was painfully pink. He didnt want it on the wall. He wanted to wear it. And he did-every day.

I spent many hours just talking with him. I learned he was the son of sharecroppers and he started in the fields when he learned to walk. As a young man, he got into logging, fought in WW2 and returned to logging.

Like I said, he never let his pain show. His spirit just couldn't allow that. In his stories and in his eyes, he was young and energetic and fully capable.. he had advice for just about anything. His words of wisdom are as applicable today as yesterday. His humor had no boundaries.

One day, I went to see him when I started my shift, as i always did. He was awake but the childlike shine in his eyes was gone. He looked tired and his eyes told me what was coming. That day, there were no stories. No jokes, no laughter. He simply asked that i not leave him. He didnt want his family there crying, he said. Just call them later.

After what seemed like eternity, he spoke again. " thanks for being my best chum" . I told him he was the best buddy I ever had and thanked him. Within minutes, he was gone.

I quit that day. He was my driving force and the reason I went to work. His son told me his dad would be buried in that ridiculously pink ball cap because out of the thousands he had, it was the only one he ever wore.

Buddy taught me a lot. Push through the pain and never let it show. It helps you feel better. Positive attitude. Never lose it despite our many losses, this is the one that counts the most. Appreciate what we have.
And theres so much more.

*I love ya, Buddy. And, again, thank you so much*[/QUOTE
Years ago, when I worked as a RN in a nursing home, I had a patient who I truly liked. I spent a lot of time with him. He called me "chum" and i called him "buddy"

He was one of those people who you want to be around. Just a very good demeanor, had an uplifting spirit and always wore the biggest smiles.

His muscles had simply locked up, drawing his legs up tight to his abdomen and his arms were drawn tight, fingers arranged in a manner that was unimaginable. He hadn't wore clothes in a few years because his body was drawn up so compactly, they couldn't be put on.

But above the shoulders, he was ok. He loved to tell his stories and jokes. Laughter was his medicine and he stayed in overdose.

It was easy to see he wasn't in pain. He was the living, breathing embodiment of agony. But his eyes never showed it. His mentality just wouldn't allow it, his spirit was above that.

He had a collection of baseball caps tacked to the wall so he could see them. His family brought them from home. I lifetime collection of unworn caps. One color was missing though. Pink. Every imaginable color-- but no pink. I got him one, from MAC tools. Neon pink. It was painfully pink. He didnt want it on the wall. He wanted to wear it. And he did-every day.

I spent many hours just talking with him. I learned he was the son of sharecroppers and he started in the fields when he learned to walk. As a young man, he got into logging, fought in WW2 and returned to logging.

Like I said, he never let his pain show. His spirit just couldn't allow that. In his stories and in his eyes, he was young and energetic and fully capable.. he had advice for just about anything. His words of wisdom are as applicable today as yesterday. His humor had no boundaries.

One day, I went to see him when I started my shift, as i always did. He was awake but the childlike shine in his eyes was gone. He looked tired and his eyes told me what was coming. That day, there were no stories. No jokes, no laughter. He simply asked that i not leave him. He didnt want his family there crying, he said. Just call them later.

After what seemed like eternity, he spoke again. " thanks for being my best chum" . I told him he was the best buddy I ever had and thanked him. Within minutes, he was gone.

I quit that day. He was my driving force and the reason I went to work. His son told me his dad would be buried in that ridiculously pink ball cap because out of the thousands he had, it was the only one he ever wore.

Buddy taught me a lot. Push through the pain and never let it show. It helps you feel better. Positive attitude. Never lose it despite our many losses, this is the one that counts the most. Appreciate what we have.
And theres so much more.

*I love ya, Buddy. And, again, thank you so much*
Very inspiring story sir, thanks for sharing.

bullgator

Man.... yall ain't kidding. Getting old does suck. So many things to try to help alleviate the aches and pains. Some work for some folks, some dont.

I guess this is what keeps us occupied until the end--- searching for pain relief.

I've done just about every cream, lotion, pill, voodoo oils... nothing worth discussing as far as relief goes. But, spinal nerve cauterizing has delivered extended periods of relief.

Hip replacement??? I was told by dr that this would end the experienced pain... it did and it didn't. Now, it's new pain in a different part of the hip and additional pain in the lower spine because of the limp gained from leg length differential and I cant walk as far before the cut muscles begin to ache.

I have figured something out about all this... it's all work related or crash damage

People who I know that have always had cushy jobs dont go through this near as much as those who really labored their lives away. People who were always very wealthy dont go through this.

Can you imagine being 81 years old and every day, get up and go play badminton in the morning, tennis in the afternoon? I know that guy. He doesnt know much but he knew how to flimflam his way into cushy jobs all his life. Living is good and easy for him. He admits he has never labored. Always started jobs as a supervisor or upper level management. No formal training or education, didnt even finish high school. Just gave the hiring people good stories.

Me.... I always felt I had to prove myself and, in doing so, truly labored hard. I did the things no one else would-- things no ever should. And for what?? Money.

Money comes, money goes. But the damage lasts a lifetime.

Aside from the cauterizing procedures a few times a year, I'm on daily does of tylenol1, tylenol3, naproxen and emtec. I dont drink coffee, so my caffeine comes from a pill bottle and my sleep comes from another bottle. I marked them "stop" and "go".
Ya know, this brings me to another life realization I’ve had. I don’t want to sidetrack this thread, but I’ve wondered about those that have had an impact on our lives that have no idea they have done so. It might have been one meeting or one thing they’ve said, or a regular in your life....but they helped shape who you are in a positive way. It also makes me wonder about anyone out there that can feel the same way about us having been in their life.

Ray357

AWOL
I'm not in any way new to aches and pains. I started with neuropathic related pains and numbness while in my 40's.

Over the years I've had spine/neck surgeries, many different drug therapies, etc. I'm in my early 60's now and arthritis is making its presence known.

My neck, arms, hands, and feet have been affected most, but now my hips and knees are really beginning to kick up.(No Pun Intended)

Three or four years ago my right knee was the first place since I had a motorcycle crash that required my ankle to be screwed back together some 35 years ago that I had a visit from excruciating pain in my lower body. I'm careful not to make any sudden changes of direction or push/slide things aside with my right foot and my right knee has behaved much better.

Last week after getting my right hand caught between the roll bar on my tractor and a tree, at the urging of my wife I went for Xray's. Nothing fractured, but torn ligaments and told I definitely had signs of arthritis in both hands. The next day when I lifted my left knee getting dressed something in my left hip popped like never before. If not for the dresser being near, I'd hit the floor.

I couldn't place any weight on my left leg for at least a minute. The pain was pretty high on the Richter scale, but the fear factor is much greater. The pain is still present, but much more tolerable. I do have trouble walking when I first stand.

Over this past weekend my left knee has swollen, is hot and tender to the touch. No signs of a bug bite, it's just there.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I really don't know what to expect.

I'm being told by friends and family that I've reached the age that rubbing dirt on it and walking it off ain't gonna get it anymore.

I guess we're never prepared for parts to begin wearing out.

I've second guessed myself over and over about even posting this. I'm not the type of person that looks for extra attention or sympathy. I have become more of a dismayed person trying to reason this crap that's happening now!
Not as old as you. I got a lot of joint damage from undiagnosed Rock Mountain spotted fever. Doctors thought it was R.A. for about 4 years and list a lot of time. Make a long story short, after they got the Rocky Mountain Spotted fever killed, they brought my Testosterone up to the level of an average 25 year old. I feel great again. Joint pain gone from significant to non existent.

BriarPatch99

I can relate to the Nursing home story .... As a City Letter Carrier with the USPS for 35 years .... I had a large nursing home on my route .... the office was almost center of the facility where I walked to delivering the mail ....

There was a a young guy I later found his name was Charles ....I called him Charlie... I found out he was paralyzed from the neck down .... later in talking to Charlie I found out He and some friends were playing on the front porch of the old house he grew up in ...some how he fell off the porch at the age of 12 years old... He broke his spine and could not move anything but his head. I learned he loved to read and the nursing home had devised a way he could turn the pages of books .... He was a ready smart little guy. Some the nurses told me one day that the highlight of Charlie's day was to be in the large visiting area I walked through each day to deliver the mail. They said he would get mad and upset if he wasn't in the visiting area when I came through... I would always spend a few minutes chatting with Charlie each and every day ...it maybe only a few seconds or if I had time.

Charlie was about 15 years old when I first started making my trips into the home. One day about three years before I retired ....I hopped out the mail truck, made my way through the double doors .... I immediately noticed that there was a gathering of NURSES where Charlie normally was each day... Charlie had died during the night and they wanted to share the sadness of his passing with me ....

Needless to say I lost it that morning... I squalled my eyes out right there in front of probably 25/30 people. Charlie had touched my soul all them years .... even though he was unable to move.

Charlie was an inspiration ... I could be feeling bad or down and out ...all I had to do was remember what Charlie had been through and what he had missed out of life laying in his bed ...but Charlie had made the most out of his situation ... and I think the Lord for Charlie.

I am sure Charlie has real fast internet where he is..........

HuntingFool

Right there with you. I am 53 and already had cervical fusion on c5, c6 and c7 in 2012. Then was off last week working in the yard and started having lower back pain. This is something I have experienced off and on for years. That was Thursday. Ended up in the emergency room Saturday night with severe pain. Could not walk, sit, stand or lie down without being in severe pain. I had to crawl to the car so the wife could drive me to the hospital. Pinched nerve causing severe pain in right lower back, numbness and slight pain in groin. Finally got home early Sunday morning after them pumping me full of meds. Stayed flat on my back until today. Just now starting to be able to move around without pain meds and just tolerating the pain I have. Don't like taking opiods but when you hurt like that you don't care. Next step is making appointment with my neurosurgeon.

zedex

Gator Bait
Today's one of those days for me.
I got up a little after 5am. Pain woke me up.
Took a couple emtec pills. After about half hour, made my way back to bed.

Around 8, I'm up again, I'm feeling paralyzed by the pain. Took 2 tylenol1.

I have things that need to be done, have to stay up and lucid. At 1030, I took half a hydromorphone. I hate this stuff-- puts my head in places I don't like going.

About an hour ago, it started tapering off and I feel functional but dragging.

Its 3PM now and finally got out of the house to get things done. Still dragging. I'll be out for what would normally take 45 minutes, but today will be twice that.

Sometimes, I think if it weren't for pain, I'd have nothing else to talk about

Today's one of those days for me.
I got up a little after 5am. Pain woke me up.
Took a couple emtec pills. After about half hour, made my way back to bed.

Around 8, I'm up again, I'm feeling paralyzed by the pain. Took 2 tylenol1.

I have things that need to be done, have to stay up and lucid. At 1030, I took half a hydromorphone. I hate this stuff-- puts my head in places I don't like going.

About an hour ago, it started tapering off and I feel functional but dragging.

Its 3PM now and finally got out of the house to get things done. Still dragging. I'll be out for what would normally take 45 minutes, but today will be twice that.

Sometimes, I think if it weren't for pain, I'd have nothing else to talk about
Try a hot shower or bath when you get up. It may help.

zedex

Gator Bait
Try a hot shower or bath when you get up. It may help.

Long hot shower at night, just before bed and very first thing in the morning is standard, not optional.
I cannot sleep unless I have a shower. Cannot function in the morning without a shower. Most days, I get in a midday shower, too. (And frequent cold water face splashes, too)

A word of caution for the young folks....
Work smart, not hard. You are young and strong today-- dont overdo yourself or you'll be old and broken tomorrow