Wear & Tear Catching Up With Me

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks to all of you!

I'm going to keep pushing as long as I can. Many are telling me that I already push too hard. I know I'm guilty of not pacing myself.

I'm sure most of us don't know how to accept limits we don't like. It's just been one thing on top of another lately.

Lyrica proved to be ineffective and made me too sleepy to function. Gabapentin seemed to help for a short time, then it was like I was taking nothing.

Nerve pain is exhausting. Arthritis, etc on top of it scares me. The thoughts of more surgery makes me mad. My history has been of short term improvements, then down the slide again.

I am driven to keep moving.

I can relate. I'm 69 and holding and almost every muscle in my body hurts at some point. A lot of it is related to inflammation. Study up on it's causes and start eliminating some of its' sources and you'll probably feel a little better.

In the mean time just remember, you're not as good as you once were but you're good once as you ever were. Pace yourself and never surrender!:rockon:

zedex

Gator Bait
Man.... yall ain't kidding. Getting old does suck. So many things to try to help alleviate the aches and pains. Some work for some folks, some dont.

I guess this is what keeps us occupied until the end--- searching for pain relief.

I've done just about every cream, lotion, pill, voodoo oils... nothing worth discussing as far as relief goes. But, spinal nerve cauterizing has delivered extended periods of relief.

Hip replacement??? I was told by dr that this would end the experienced pain... it did and it didn't. Now, it's new pain in a different part of the hip and additional pain in the lower spine because of the limp gained from leg length differential and I cant walk as far before the cut muscles begin to ache.

I have figured something out about all this... it's all work related or crash damage

People who I know that have always had cushy jobs dont go through this near as much as those who really labored their lives away. People who were always very wealthy dont go through this.

Can you imagine being 81 years old and every day, get up and go play badminton in the morning, tennis in the afternoon? I know that guy. He doesnt know much but he knew how to flimflam his way into cushy jobs all his life. Living is good and easy for him. He admits he has never labored. Always started jobs as a supervisor or upper level management. No formal training or education, didnt even finish high school. Just gave the hiring people good stories.

Me.... I always felt I had to prove myself and, in doing so, truly labored hard. I did the things no one else would-- things no ever should. And for what?? Money.

Money comes, money goes. But the damage lasts a lifetime.

Aside from the cauterizing procedures a few times a year, I'm on daily does of tylenol1, tylenol3, naproxen and emtec. I dont drink coffee, so my caffeine comes from a pill bottle and my sleep comes from another bottle. I marked them "stop" and "go".

chuckdog

Having trouble with both shoulders at 80! BB

Well, I want to say congrats on making 80!

I can't really imagine making it that long. When I was 30 I likely didn't think about being over 60 though.

I've had some rough years with the nerve damage. As many of you know pain is exhausting. When people can't look at you and see why you hurt and are sluggish they simply can't understand.

Pain is why so many of my post are during the middle of the night.

During much of the time when I was away from the forum I went through periods of pushing myself, working everyday of the work week and being mostly bedridden during the weekends. I had nothing in the tank!

I have been blessed with a wonderful, determined wife. She has stood by me, encouraged me, and yes push me to try different routes.

Man ain't promised an easy life, and I'm proud to be as healthy as I am today. Even with the added aches of aging, I'm more energetic and able bodied today than I was five years ago.

It's not hard to find people that suffer much more than I ever have. Many of you that have posted in this thread I'm sure have much more than I do to complain about.

I'm frustrated and fear backing up to where I've already been. Here I sit telling many of you what you already know, while realizing that other than how we react we have no real choice in what's coming our way.

I genuinely appreciate all the comments and encouragement. I have a great deal of respect for those that never give in, or give up!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What aggravates me worse than anything, is that inflammatories like Ibuprofin work wonders on my arthritis, but because I have Chronic Kidney Disease, I cannot take them.

zedex

Gator Bait
Years ago, when I worked as a RN in a nursing home, I had a patient who I truly liked. I spent a lot of time with him. He called me "chum" and i called him "buddy"

He was one of those people who you want to be around. Just a very good demeanor, had an uplifting spirit and always wore the biggest smiles.

His muscles had simply locked up, drawing his legs up tight to his abdomen and his arms were drawn tight, fingers arranged in a manner that was unimaginable. He hadn't wore clothes in a few years because his body was drawn up so compactly, they couldn't be put on.

But above the shoulders, he was ok. He loved to tell his stories and jokes. Laughter was his medicine and he stayed in overdose.

It was easy to see he wasn't in pain. He was the living, breathing embodiment of agony. But his eyes never showed it. His mentality just wouldn't allow it, his spirit was above that.

He had a collection of baseball caps tacked to the wall so he could see them. His family brought them from home. I lifetime collection of unworn caps. One color was missing though. Pink. Every imaginable color-- but no pink. I got him one, from MAC tools. Neon pink. It was painfully pink. He didnt want it on the wall. He wanted to wear it. And he did-every day.

I spent many hours just talking with him. I learned he was the son of sharecroppers and he started in the fields when he learned to walk. As a young man, he got into logging, fought in WW2 and returned to logging.

Like I said, he never let his pain show. His spirit just couldn't allow that. In his stories and in his eyes, he was young and energetic and fully capable.. he had advice for just about anything. His words of wisdom are as applicable today as yesterday. His humor had no boundaries.

One day, I went to see him when I started my shift, as i always did. He was awake but the childlike shine in his eyes was gone. He looked tired and his eyes told me what was coming. That day, there were no stories. No jokes, no laughter. He simply asked that i not leave him. He didnt want his family there crying, he said. Just call them later.

After what seemed like eternity, he spoke again. " thanks for being my best chum" . I told him he was the best buddy I ever had and thanked him. Within minutes, he was gone.

I quit that day. He was my driving force and the reason I went to work. His son told me his dad would be buried in that ridiculously pink ball cap because out of the thousands he had, it was the only one he ever wore.

Buddy taught me a lot. Push through the pain and never let it show. It helps you feel better. Positive attitude. Never lose it despite our many losses, this is the one that counts the most. Appreciate what we have.
And theres so much more.

*I love ya, Buddy. And, again, thank you so much*

Redbow

I know what your mean I'm in pretty bad shape with arthritis also. Its been troubling me for 30 years or so. I can't walk very far now and I am unsteady on my feet especially backing up, I have to be very careful not to fall. I am in pain most all the time I reckon I would not feel right without it. Riding in a car for any distance really gets to me. I get so stiff I have to make myself get out of the vehicle. No, getting old isn't any fun, and the mid 70's where I am at now have come much too quickly.. My Doc says there ain't no getting better at my age until the undertaker comes.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am just getting to the age of aches and pains. Now when me and the bro get together the 1st hour is spent talking about what hurts lately. I can't get up off the couch without making a little groan or grunt. So I can say "I feel your pain".

BriarPatch99

After my fall last year (April 28th) ...spending most of the year layed up .......then Covid took another lick at me ..... 65 now putting down vinyl plank flooring .... it Is about to kill me!

Knees about gone ....no strength ...this getting old ain't no fun.

Core Lokt

Years ago, when I worked as a RN in a nursing home, I had a patient who I truly liked. I spent a lot of time with him. He called me "chum" and i called him "buddy"

He was one of those people who you want to be around. Just a very good demeanor, had an uplifting spirit and always wore the biggest smiles.

His muscles had simply locked up, drawing his legs up tight to his abdomen and his arms were drawn tight, fingers arranged in a manner that was unimaginable. He hadn't wore clothes in a few years because his body was drawn up so compactly, they couldn't be put on.

But above the shoulders, he was ok. He loved to tell his stories and jokes. Laughter was his medicine and he stayed in overdose.

It was easy to see he wasn't in pain. He was the living, breathing embodiment of agony. But his eyes never showed it. His mentality just wouldn't allow it, his spirit was above that.

He had a collection of baseball caps tacked to the wall so he could see them. His family brought them from home. I lifetime collection of unworn caps. One color was missing though. Pink. Every imaginable color-- but no pink. I got him one, from MAC tools. Neon pink. It was painfully pink. He didnt want it on the wall. He wanted to wear it. And he did-every day.

I spent many hours just talking with him. I learned he was the son of sharecroppers and he started in the fields when he learned to walk. As a young man, he got into logging, fought in WW2 and returned to logging.

Like I said, he never let his pain show. His spirit just couldn't allow that. In his stories and in his eyes, he was young and energetic and fully capable.. he had advice for just about anything. His words of wisdom are as applicable today as yesterday. His humor had no boundaries.

One day, I went to see him when I started my shift, as i always did. He was awake but the childlike shine in his eyes was gone. He looked tired and his eyes told me what was coming. That day, there were no stories. No jokes, no laughter. He simply asked that i not leave him. He didnt want his family there crying, he said. Just call them later.

After what seemed like eternity, he spoke again. " thanks for being my best chum" . I told him he was the best buddy I ever had and thanked him. Within minutes, he was gone.

I quit that day. He was my driving force and the reason I went to work. His son told me his dad would be buried in that ridiculously pink ball cap because out of the thousands he had, it was the only one he ever wore.

Buddy taught me a lot. Push through the pain and never let it show. It helps you feel better. Positive attitude. Never lose it despite our many losses, this is the one that counts the most. Appreciate what we have.
And theres so much more.

Dang man, that is a powerful story and testimony bro.

Op- hang in there and my prayers are with you. Don't feel bad or embarrassed to post these things. We all need each others thoughts and prayers. Even if we don't think we do. We do....

Prayers to all that are in pain. I myself am too young to have some of the pains I do but most are self inflicted from past years from being superman, or thought I was. As my daddy says, getting old isn't for sissies....

chuckdog

And theres so much more.

As Core Lokt stated "Powerful."

This is likely one of the best post I've read anywhere on the web. Lot of life messages contained in your writing.

On behalf of all that take the time to read your story, Thank You!

Reactions: Dub

chuckdog

What aggravates me worse than anything, is that inflammatories like Ibuprofin work wonders on my arthritis, but because I have Chronic Kidney Disease, I cannot take them.

The pain caused in my stomach quickly over rides any benefit most anti-inflammatory meds have had for me.

Reactions: Dub

Gbr5pb

After 2 hip surgeries and back knee and hand pain found meloxicam really helped for a while but doctor doesn’t like me to take because bad for kidneys! But if go to orthopedic doctor who did hip repair he’ll prescribe 90 day supply and 4 refills?

jdgator

We’re any of y’all runners in your younger days? My non-running friends tell me that jogging is so very bad for my knees and joints. But I feel like it’s so good for my mental health and cardio vascular system that the trades have to be worth it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
After 2 hip surgeries and back knee and hand pain found meloxicam really helped for a while but doctor doesn’t like me to take because bad for kidneys! But if go to orthopedic doctor who did hip repair he’ll prescribe 90 day supply and 4 refills?

Just my opinion, but I`d do whatever it takes to protect my kidneys. Dialysis would not fit what`s left of my lifestyle. Plus I witnessed first hand what dialysis does to a person.

beretta

I worked in the automotive industry for 35+ years. I played sports in school, basketball, wrestling. Also raced ATV's for a couple of years. Had a knee scoped in my 20's Doctor told me I had signs of Arthritis, I thought that he was crazy! Well 25 years later I found out that he wasn't, at 51 I had both knees replaced. I should of had it done years ago! I forgot what it was like not to be in pain! I can say that having the surgeries was a success. Before the surgery I could barely walk, I'm talking no cartilage left in either knee, bow-legged like a cowboy. I remember getting the X-rays and the X-ray tech asking me "how are you even walking"? Lots of Ibuprofen.