What 12 Gauge Load For Squirrels

HogKillaDNR

I was wondering what 12 gauge load and choke do you typically hunt squirrels with? I have some #8 and #9 shot. I think those pellets might be too small.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I used to love warming up my turkey gun with an extra full choke, rifle sights and high brass # 6.
I know the high brass number 6 are overkill but I love seeing what that gun would do. Makes for a good shot hunt in the kitchen.
I think low brass 6 is in a full choke is a pretty standard load.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If you are shooting them now, with full foliage still in place, you need #6s or even #4s to blow em outta the trees...

In my squirrel shooting opinion, 7-1/2s are the minimum, and then only if the leaves are off...

Shot a few the other day in thick cover with some 20ga #5s.

Money.

HogKillaDNR

Nice, is it to early to be eating them and what choke?

HogKillaDNR

I'm definitely going to go after some this week here, in Alabama.

HogKillaDNR

Bare minimum 7.5 and expect to pick shot out of the meat as it's hard to get complete pass through. Add leaves still on the trees and the problem gets worse.
Best all around 6 but with leaves on stepping up to 5 or 4 ups penetration.
But let's not forget the shot count for pellet size as you have fewer pellets each time you step up a size. Probably not as important with a 12 but I come up with a 410.
You can't stuff enough 6s in a 410 to hold a pattern much past 20 yards. I shot 7.5 and kept shots inside 35 and only on squirrels fully exposed.
Had to figure all this out for myself since daddy made me buy my own shells. But a ten year old could buy ammo back then if he could scrape up enough money.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A good little tool to remove shot from birds and small game is to take a 16 penny nail and with your ball peen hammer peen the pointed end of the nail into a elongated spoon shape. It`s perfect for digging shot, feathers, and hair out of the meat.

HogKillaDNR

Very true, I was going to take the Benelli Nova out or the Ruger 22/45 with green dot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't squirrel hunt hardly any with a shotgun any more, but when I used to, it was high brass 6s or 4s.

HogKillaDNR

That price for TSS is just insane.

Hillbilly stalker

I kill quiet a few squirrels each year. I hunt them more than anything else. When I shoot a shotgun my preference is #4 high brass in a full choke. You get more range, better killing power/ penetration and less tore up meat. If they are close when you shoot….aim for their nose. #7,7 1/2, 8’s and 9’s will kill squirrels but there are hundreds of pellets in each shell and they are smaller. That tears up the meat and makes the squirrels harder to clean, after you bite down on some lead from that tiny birdshot you will look for something better. I will shoot #5 or 6’s when I can’t get ahold of #4’s. Those 7,8 and 9’s are for flushing game with more of an open choke…like bird’s, hence the name birdshot. Their harder to hit, it gives you a better chance with a bigger pattern and their hides thinner than a squirrel.

HogKillaDNR

I kill quiet a few squirrels each year. I hunt them more than anything else. When I shoot a shotgun my preference is #4 high brass in a full choke. You get more range, better killing power/ penetration and less tore up meat. If they are close when you shoot….aim for their nose. #7,7 1/2, 8’s and 9’s will kill squirrels but there are hundreds of pellets in each shell and they are smaller. That tears up the meat and makes the squirrels harder to clean, after you bite down on some lead from that tiny birdshot you will look for something better. I will shoot #5 or 6’s when I can’t get ahold of #4’s. Those 7,8 and 9’s are for flushing game with more of an open choke…like bird’s, hence the name birdshot. Their harder to hit, it gives you a better chance with a bigger pattern and their hides thinner than a squirrel.

I completely understand that now. I had the 9's for skeet shooting and trap.

Hillbilly stalker

It’s hard to find what a fellow needs right now, bout have to go with what he can find. Good luck with your hunt. (y)

Latest posts