What are the best ways to catch trout on the chattahoochee?

Bsurber

I’m somewhat new to fly fishing and I can never seem to find the fish when I’m out on the hooch. If anyone has any good tips or tricks that can help me to start catching fish that would be greatly appreciated.

Coenen

Get out.

Start small. Think small. Fish small.

On the tailwater below Buford, I do a lot of dry-dropper and indicator nymphing. My go to is a tandem nymph setup featuring a heavy first fly like a wire caddis, or stone-fly imitation, and then a smaller dropper fly, like a rainbow warrior or zebra midge. Adjust the length between indicator and flies until you're getting down to the bottom, but not snagging regularly.

Consider hitting a shop like Alpharetta Outfitters or Fish Hawk for flies and advice. They'll help you.

Find some good looking water, look for fast water that turns into slow water. Get close enough to make a GOOD presentation. Start picking at the run. Hit every seam from closest to furthest with the best presentation you can muster. If your indicator does anything it shouldn't, swing away. If you catch a fish make additional casts, if there is one, there are frequently more.

You'll get a few.

I've seen more empty cans of corn along that river than full cans in Walmart!

I don't use corn. I wade the river and get all the lures from the trees and use them. They work great! I can easily get a dozen in a few minutes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To Hades with corn. I don't understand it. I can fish behind a corn fisherman with flies or spinners and catch 10x as many trout with 100x less aggravation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m somewhat new to fly fishing and I can never seem to find the fish when I’m out on the hooch. If anyone has any good tips or tricks that can help me to start catching fish that would be greatly appreciated.
Learn to read the water. This time of year, you are looking for deep water most of the time. A pair of weighted nymphs with added split shot is your friend.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

splatek

UAEC
In my limited experience:
if you want a lot of fish go extra small. Dry dropper is great just don’t ever expect your dry to be eaten and be surprised to one or two times it is. if you want size then fight size with size. Big fish eat big lures.
It’s cold. Low oxygen. Poor conditions right now according to my best fishing buddies, give it a minute to clear up get oxygenated and warm up and the fish will be all over an experience fly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
if you want a lot of fish go extra small. Dry dropper is great just don’t ever expect your dry to be eaten and be surprised to one or two times it is. if you want size then fight size with size. Big fish eat big lures.
It’s cold. Low oxygen. Poor conditions right now according to my best fishing buddies, give it a minute to clear up get oxygenated and warm up and the fish will be all over an experience fly.
This time of year, I would forget about the dry-dropper, and go with all dropper. A pair of heavy, heavy tungsten bead-head nymphs. Maybe with extra split shot on the leader.

Tentwing

If you are talking about the tail water?…… Then size #18 black thread zebra midges ( gold bead head silver wire ribbing) , size #16 dark olive Bead head pheasant tail at or near the bottom under and indicator for cold weather. Black or olive wooly booger’s pretty much anytime unless it’s frigid cold. I do better with smaller sizes ( 12 and 10 ) on the Hooch tail water .

The headwaters through Helen bead head Pheasant tails and Pink Harlots are all I have ever needed.

Coenen

In the warm months at least, an elk hair up top is good for a few bonus-bites a day.

Right now, a true indicator rig is more the play.

Backcountry

you corn fisherman are better off buying a filet at Kroger.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Learn to read the water. This time of year, you are looking for deep water most of the time. A pair of weighted nymphs with added split shot is your friend.

Don’t even need the split shot on most of the good bubble lines fishing the falling water. Big fat hopper, zebra midge, blue assassin. Rock and roll.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Or, chunk big, meaty, articulated streamers all day. Not so much on the quantity but the quality can be astounding.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

NCH said it before. “If you’re hungry, do you want a chicken nugget or a steak?” Or something similar to that.