What did the Founding Fathers Believe? Long Intro.

DCarter001

I made a comment in another thread about our country being founded on Christianity. I was immediately called to task on a slightly different evolution of the same topic, Christ or Christianity mentioned in any national document. This does not happen. Now that you have the basis for this thread, allow me the levity to evolve it one more time. Did our founding fathers believe, not only in a higher being, but in God and Christianity, and did those beliefs shape the foundation of our country?
I believe they did, for the most part, believe in God (the God of the Old Testament), and in Christianity as a good moral and ethical code by which men should be governed. I say for the most part because not all believed in God or in Christianity. I offer the following exerpts from various writings and speeches to bolster my point. I am not a historical scholar, but I believe the sources to be accurate. Here goes:
The First Charter of Virginia (granted by King James I, on April 10, 1606)
• We, greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherance of so noble a Work, which may, by the Providence of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory of his Divine Majesty, in propagating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God…
Instructions for the Virginia Colony (1606)
John Adams:
“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”
• “[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress
"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." December 25, 1813 letter to Thomas Jefferson
Samuel Adams
“ Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity… and leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.” [October 4, 1790]
John Quincy Adams:
• “Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?
--1837, at the age of 69, when he delivered a Fourth of July speech at Newburyport, Massachusetts.
“The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.”
John Quincy Adams. Letters to his son. p. 61
Charles Carroll - signer of the Declaration of Independence |
" Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure...are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments." [Source: To James McHenry on November 4, 1800.]
Benjamin Franklin: |
“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787 |
In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach "the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."
Alexander Hamilton:
On July 12, 1804 at his death, Hamilton said, “I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy; pray for me.”
"For my own part, I sincerely esteem it [the Constitution] a system which without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests." [1787 after the Constitutional Convention]
Patrick Henry: |
"Orator of the Revolution."
• This is all the inheritance I can give my dear family. The religion of Christ can give them one which will make them rich indeed.”
—The Last Will and Testament of Patrick Henry
“It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.” [May 1765 Speech to the House of Burgesses]
James Madison
“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.” [1778 to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia]

At the Constitutional Convention of 1787, James Madison proposed the plan to divide the central government into three branches. He discovered this model of government from the Perfect Governor, as he read Isaiah 33:22;
“For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver,
the LORD is our king;
He will save us.”
Noah Webster: |
“In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government ought to be instructed...No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.”
[Source: 1828, in the preface to his American Dictionary of the English Language]
“All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible.” [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]
“The Bible was America’s basic textbook
in all fields.” [Noah Webster. Our Christian Heritage p.5]

“Education is useless without the Bible” [Noah Webster. Our Christian Heritage p.5 ]
George Washington:
"To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian" [May 2, 1778, at Valley Forge]
During his inauguration, Washington took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.
As a footnote to Washington's inauguration: The Bible was a Masonic Bible (way old thread) opened to Genesis, which seemed fitting given our country's new beginning.
How could men of such knowledge not be influenced by Christianity in forming a new nation?

Dixie Dawg

DCarter001 said:
I made a comment in another thread about our country being founded on Christianity.

I believe they did, for the most part, believe in God (the God of the Old Testament), and in Christianity as a good moral and ethical code by which men should be governed. I say for the most part because not all believed in God or in Christianity.

“The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.”

to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.”

He discovered this model of government from the Perfect Governor, as he read Isaiah 33:22;
“For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver,
the LORD is our king;

The Bible was a Masonic Bible (way old thread) opened to Genesis,

How could men of such knowledge not be influenced by Christianity in forming a new nation?

Hmmm.... reading the examples from above... you sure they weren't really influenced by Judaism? ::ke: ::ke: :D

Dudley Do-Wrong

you sure they weren't really influenced by Judaism?

Keri,

It is extremely disingenuous to pick up on just 2 of the many quotes to make such an assertion. I hope your comment was in jest.

Dixie Dawg

David Mills said:
Keri,

It is extremely disingenuous to pick up on just 2 of the many quotes to make such an assertion. I hope your comment was in jest.

No, not entirely. The references in those quotes are the only ones that actually referred to something specific in the bible; ie: the Ten Commandments (Old Testament) and from the book of Isaiah (Old Testament). I didn't see any quotes at all from the NT. :huh:

But then again, why would there be? After all, the quotes above, about forming the government, mainly seem to revolve around the formation of the laws governing our country, and we all know the NT doesn't have anything to do with the Law, right? ;)::ke:

Dudley Do-Wrong

and we all know the NT doesn't have anything to do with the Law, right?

Wrong,,,, The law is addressed many times in the NT.

Once again, your deductions and assertions are completely disingenuous. Some of the quotes originally mentioned referred to our “Savior” and to Christianity but you picked out 2 specific quotes, ignored the rest, and then made a completely false deduction about the whole.

DCarter001

DD, they were absolutely influenced by Judaism. How could they not be? I never stated, I don't think, our founding fathers were NOT influenced by the OT. To be honest and practical about the situation, I believe our founding fathers were for the most part Christian men with good morals(one does not necesitate the other), and a high regard for the future of the nation for which they were drafting a charter.

Dixie Dawg

David Mills said:
Wrong,,,, The law is addressed many times in the NT.

Once again, your deductions and assertions are completely disingenuous. Some of the quotes originally mentioned referred to our “Savior” and to Christianity but you picked out 2 specific quotes, ignored the rest, and then made a completely false deduction about the whole.

You mean kind of like you do with Isaiah 7:14? ::ke: ::ke:

:yawn:

Dixie Dawg

Hawkeye said:
I believe you don't know the OT or the New.
The entire law is found in the New Testament.

Really.... where?? The ENTIRE Law??? All 613 mitzvot?? I must have missed those books.... is this in your same bible with Psalm 40:6 reading as Hebrews 10:5 says? I'd really like to see this version of the bible... it sounds much different than any I have ever seen before!

DCarter001

Hawkeye said:
I believe you don't know the OT or the New.
The entire law is found in the New Testament.
Hawk, to whom is this comment directed? DD or myself? I may be quite ignorant, as I have admited numerous times in the past. DD, however, is a very intelligent lady, with whom I often find myself at odds.

Dixie Dawg

DCarter001 said:
DD, they were absolutely influenced by Judaism. How could they not be? I never stated, I don't think, our founding fathers were NOT influenced by the OT. To be honest and practical about the situation, I believe our founding fathers were for the most part Christian men with good morals(one does not necesitate the other), and a high regard for the future of the nation for which they were drafting a charter.

No, you never said anything to the contrary, DC... we're cool, as always :)
As far as morals, well, they were human, let's just leave it at that. There are some of our founding fathers that were not very moral at all, regardless of their religious beliefs... just as we have today. None of them were perfect, and our government is not perfect. But it's the fairest one in the world today, and for that I'm thankful!

Dixie Dawg

DCarter001 said:
Hawk, to whom is this comment directed? DD or myself? I may be quite ignorant, as I have admited numerous times in the past. DD, however, is a very intelligent lady, with whom I often find myself at odds.

He's referring that to me, DC, not you!! :)

Tn_Extreme

Banned
I majored in college in American History and done my senior paper on the influence of Christianity on the founders of our country.

People can debate backk and forth and claim to have their own views on it but our AMERICAN history is solid.

America was founded BY CHRISTIANS...FOR CHRISTIANS. A few dceades later when our country was being officially set up as it;s own sovereign country our founding fathers, even the ones who werent members of a local church(which was VERY FEW) all made recorded statements that this country was Christian by design, and Christian it should remain lest it fall into a shambles.

Our founding fathers warned the citizens what would happen if other religeons were allowed to take root here...and to keep from starting another closed thread I will refrain from naming the groups they warned of.

Of course...we have fallen from the Christian country mindset....Today we are anything but. And the directuon the country is going proves we no longer have favour with God.

Al33

Tn_Extreme said:
America was founded BY CHRISTIANS...FOR CHRISTIANS. A few dceades later when our country was being officially set up as it;s own sovereign country our founding fathers, even the ones who werent members of a local church(which was VERY FEW) all made recorded statements that this country was Christian by design, and Christian it should remain lest it fall into a shambles.

Our founding fathers warned the citizens what would happen if other religeons were allowed to take root here...and to keep from starting another closed thread I will refrain from naming the groups they warned of.

Of course...we have fallen from the Christian country mindset....Today we are anything but. And the directuon the country is going proves we no longer have favour with God.

AMEN!!!

Is it any wonder how our young nation became the most powerful nation in the world in such a short time. It was blessed by God because God fearing men put their trust in Him. I still believe our nation has favor with God because he will not forsake the many here who do recognize Him as their Savior.

History DOES repeat itself and the Old Testament clearly shows that any nation that turns from God will eventually perish. That's God, not allah.

I suspect had our founding fathers realized where we would be at today they would have designated or adopted Christianity as out National religion. Had they done so, we would still have prayer in our public schools and the Ten Commandments in public buildings.

HuntDawg

I love this country very much and believe that this nation was founded on Christian principles, but let us not forget, these same Christian men owned slaves and considered women property.

jneil

From what I have read about the Founding Fathers, which is kind of a hobby of mine, they came from different religous beliefs and views on religion. I believe they all were devoutly religous in their own ways. This is why we are free to choose our on religous beliefs in the USA.

DCarter001

... This is why we are free to choose our on religous beliefs in the USA.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I believe you are a little off in your logic. The reason we are free to worship how we see fit, or not, is because our founding fathers saw how corrupt a state mandated religion could become. This is the reason "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."