What have you guys planted in the fall and had good results with

Horatio

What do you guys prefer in the fall. We have always planted Penningtons and it works well but we are wanting to try and save some money this fall and are entertaining the idea of paying less for some old school plantings.

Horatio

We have also tried Austrian Winter Peas and it seemed the did not really like them, but in their defense I think our ph was off a bit and maybe winter peas cannot absorb nutrients as well as other plants.

tyler1

kevincox said:
Durana clover if you don't want to replant for 5-6 years.

Is this a high maintance plant. With the cost of gas I don't need to be spending $40 once a month to go mow, fert, etc. Also, would it do well in a wooded plot with some sun and shade.

Horatio

tyler1 said:
Is this a high maintance plant. With the cost of gas I don't need to be spending $40 once a month to go mow, fert, etc. Also, would it do well in a wooded plot with some sun and shade.
Great question

grouper sandwich

I planted some Tecomate Ultra Forage Standside last fall in a small wooded plot and it did well and the deer hammered it. I just pulled some weeds, racked the dirt loose, spread the seed and did a rain dance. No fertilizer and no plowing. In our bigger plots we use a fall mix called "Buckshot" (probably a local name) which is a mix of wheat, oats, rye and winter peas (the deer won't touch the winter peas). To this mix we add some iron and clay peas to give it some "juicieness" for bow season and a couple of pounds of rape for an after frost treat. It works well, is cheap and the deer seem to enjoy it. It also produces forage on into spring and REALLY attracts gobblers during turkey season. After it all dies out in late spring, the standing wheat keeps the weeds down so that planting the next fall is simple. We don't worry too much about planting spring plots since the farm we hunt is loaded with peanuts and soybeans.:cool:

Horatio

grouper sandwich said:
I planted some Tecomate Ultra Forage Standside last fall in a small wooded plot and it did well and the deer hammered it. I just pulled some weeds, racked the dirt loose, spread the seed and did a rain dance. No fertilizer and no plowing. In our bigger plots we use a fall mix called "Buckshot" (probably a local name) which is a mix of wheat, oats, rye and winter peas (the deer won't touch the winter peas). To this mix we add some iron and clay peas to give it some "juicieness" for bow season and a couple of pounds of rape for an after frost treat. It works well, is cheap and the deer seem to enjoy it. It also produces forage on into spring and REALLY attracts gobblers during turkey season. After it all dies out in late spring, the standing wheat keeps the weeds down so that planting the next fall is simple. We don't worry too much about planting spring plots since the farm we hunt is loaded with peanuts and soybeans.:cool:
Thanks man.

spring

For the last several years I've used crimson clover exclusively in my green patches. This year, however, they'll be about 50/50 with clover and rape. Rape has a lot of benefits during the colder months and on into the spring.

gadeerwoman

duranna isn't that high maintenance a planting. Like all perennial clovers it is not going to be a fall draw the first year of planting. It takes at least 6 months for clovers to put in a good root system before they start putting on much top growth. If it develops a grass problem a spraying once or twice a year with Poast or similar sethoxydim will do the job. Fertilize twice a year and you have a good perennial. First year, you can add some winter wheat as a draw and to act as a cover crop.
For an annual fall crop, I like winter wheat mixed with dwarf essex rape and a couple clovers.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
gadeerwoman said:
and a couple clovers.

What are your favorites??

I've used dixie crimson and arrow leaf in mixes but deer don't seem crazy about them.

My durrana has a doe in it a couple of times per day.

Last edited:

dixie

We've planted about all mentioned above with fair to good results but if we don't get some rain before long, well, its shaping up as another bad food plot year.

spring

Dixie,
Have you already planted your green patches for the fall? I usually don't do that until September as they usually need cooler weather to get going. Have you had much luck doing it this time of year in the past?

dixie

spring said:
Dixie,
Have you already planted your green patches for the fall? I usually don't do that until September as they usually need cooler weather to get going. Have you had much luck doing this time of year in the past?
No, we're putting our planting plans together now, I'm just really down about it right now, its hard to watch all that hard work and seed just lay there and die from lack of water. Most the time we start around the middle of this month to plant some of the annuals and hardy seeds but if the weather pattern doesn't change, I'm gonna hold off until it does.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Egyptian wheat, rye, oats, crimson kale and Yuchhi Arrowleaf clover. After it has all been up for about 3 weeks, come back and "dust" it with some ammonia nitrate and stand back! It produces until after Turkey season is over.

I'm definitely going to put in some Duranna this year too.

Horatio

spring said:
Dixie,
Have you already planted your green patches for the fall? I usually don't do that until September as they usually need cooler weather to get going. Have you had much luck doing it this time of year in the past?
We are preparing our beds now. We will wait to disc, plant and rake until Sept 1 unless a tropical depression comes in or alot of rain is forcasted. If that is the case we will take time off and rush down there and disc, plant, and rake. Although this year I do not believe we will have to disc this baby powder dirt. Wear a mask that stuff is fine.