What "NOT" to do with a polecat....

Hillbilly stalker

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:rofl:
Big dummy! I think we've all learned that lesson, usually way back in our formative years, though. :rofl:
The correct answer is to stand back about 20 yards and pop it in the head with a .22, then come back about three days later and get it out of the trap.

GeorgiaGlockMan

We had a few nights of skunk killing for a Texas rancher many moons ago.

Friends burned my cloths while I covered myself in tomato soup in the shower.....didn't help 100%.

Durned skunk population explosion that year i recon.

Doug B.

:rofl:
Big dummy! I think we've all learned that lesson, usually way back in our formative years, though. :rofl:
The correct answer is to stand back about 20 yards and pop it in the head with a .22, then come back about three days later and get it out of the trap.
That is exactly right. Even then, don't hang around very long after the gun goes off or you will still have it on you even at 20 yards!

I really don't mind smelling a pole cat some. I guess all the years trapping has something to do with that. But if I'm really close to one when it sprays it usually gives me a headache for some reason.

longrangedog

When trapping as a kid I took every opportunity to listen to the old timers. One old trapper told us boys that if you ever caught a skunk, find or cut a long pole and use it to lift the skunk off the ground. He said they couldn't spray with their feet not on the ground. Thankfully we didn't get an opportunity to test his method.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is exactly right. Even then, don't hang around very long after the gun goes off or you will still have it on you even at 20 yards!

I really don't mind smelling a pole cat some. I guess all the years trapping has something to do with that. But if I'm really close to one when it sprays it usually gives me a headache for some reason.
Several years ago, I had one get up under my house and spray in the middle of the night. It about gagged us. I woke up the next morning with the worst hangover I've ever had, and I wasn't drinking.

K80Shooter

The smell doesn't really bother me. I used to throw rocks at them when I was younger just trying to get them to spray. All they did was ran.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think I would have a really good laugh if I saw one doing that little handstand move.
You'd better be moving when you see one do that little handstand move. :)

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think only the spotted skunks can stand on their front legs?

Latest posts