What rail system and rings to mount simmons scope on savage rascal

dslc6487

I would like to mount a Simmons 22 Mag scope on a Savage Rascal for my grandson. What rail system and scope rings would be required to do this.
I have mostly always been a shotgun person, and don't know that much about rail systems and ring attachments.

rosewood

A savage 22mag scope is 1".

Just some quick search of pics on internet, it appears the receiver isn't grooved, but is drilled and tapped for scope bases. Will need a set of bases for this gun and some 1" weaver style rings for that scope.

From what I have found, those bases are kind of pricey.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/savage-scope-base-set-for-rascal-rifles-70459.html
https://www.ebay.com/p/1404121585
Usually these type of bases are in the $10 range. I also see there is a full rail available for the rascal that would accommodate red dots and the like.

A scope is going to add bulk to the that rascal. If it was me, I would let him learn on the rascal with iron sights. Then as he gets older, maybe step up to a 10/22 and put a scope on it. You gotta understand, his eyes are most likely way better than ours. I could shoot a golf ball with irons at 75 yards when I was young. Can't see good enough now to pull that off.

Rosewood

rosewood

Never order anything from Optics Planet!
Too late, just got a new scope from them in about 3 days after I ordered, they were the only ones that had it in stock and free shipping. I have always had good luck with them.

Rosewood

Tight Lines

Too late, just got a new scope from them in about 3 days after I ordered, they were the only ones that had it in stock and free shipping. I have always had good luck with them.

Rosewood
That is good...I despise them...they display incorrect delivery dates to get you to order and then tell you it is backordered...personally, I find them to SUCK. I will never order from them ever again...Brownells, Midway, Natchez gets my money...

Reactions: Dub

bighonkinjeep

Several options are available for the Rascal. I know Evolution Gun Works makes a rail for them but in the applications I've used EGW rails they seem thick in the base and set the scope up too high. Even with low rings that can lead to a poor cheek weld, especially with smaller faces against the stock.
Personally I'd recommend a 2 piece setup since the rascal is a single loader, just for the extra clearance they will provide over the loading/ejection port. It'll make loading and cleaning much easier. A standard weaver set would not only be more economical but plenty durable as well as provide more port clearance and a lower line of sight closer to the bore without creating head position issues. A set of 1" low weaver rings would match up well and are plenty durable for a micro sized plinker.
Good Luck and I know you guys will have a great time with the rascal.
( Some people like them but I never did care much for the peep sight that comes on the rascals, much preferring a v notch rear and brass bead if I'm using irons.

Last edited: