What to spray to kill grass in clover/chicory plot?

davel

Apologies if this has been covered before. I've never actually had a clover plot grow to the point of needing to spray before. It looks like crabgrass has come up with the clover and chicory. I have read clethodim works.
Couple of questions:
Do I just get generic clethodim? My only real option for purchasing is Tractor Supply.
I read I need a surfactant. I have the Chapin sprayer that uses a smaller mixing tank to put the herbicide in. Do I put the surfactant in with the clethodim or the water tank? What type of surfactant do I need?
When should I spray (time of day)? The deer are actively grazing in this plot. Will it affect them?
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

doomtrpr_z71

Clethodim is your cheapest option though no herbicide is cheap in 22, personally I wouldn't use the mix on exit but if you do put the surfactant in the water tank and make sure it's a non ionic surfactant and not a crop oil. It won't harm the deer, I'd spray it between 10-5 just to make sure you get it on the grass while it's warm and growing this time of the year.

davel

Clethodim is your cheapest option though no herbicide is cheap in 22, personally I wouldn't use the mix on exit but if you do put the surfactant in the water tank and make sure it's a non ionic surfactant and not a crop oil. It won't harm the deer, I'd spray it between 10-5 just to make sure you get it on the grass while it's warm and growing this time of the year.
Thanks!

Ihunt

It’s very slow acting. It will probably be 3 weeks after spraying before it really looks sick so give it time.

Bigearl68

Just read the label... clover is a maximum rate of 16 oz per year, per acre. Final solution should be 1% crop oil and no less than 16 oz per acre. If you plan on doing a 1 acre plot with let’s say 15 gallons of water, then add 1 pint clethodium and one pint Crop oil.

davel

UPDATE:
The clethodim worked great! I used as directed and the grass has turned brown but the clover and chicory are looking good!
Yall were spot on with the time it takes to kill the grass. Took 2 weeks. I used the mix on exit and going by the results it worked well.
Thanks everyone!